1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

should I get a TomTom Nav?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by tarapajero1, Jan 8, 2013.

1. tarapajero1

tarapajero1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My sister and brother both have navigation units and its pretty handy, so I'm thinking about getting one. I think they both have Tomtoms, should I go for that or do you have any suggestions?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I've traveled with a three year old low-end TomTom across at least half the states and most of eastern Canada. Very pleased. I also have built in ones of different generations on 2 recent Toyotas and I prefer the Tom Tom for subtle things like the ability with one button to turn it off, the lane guidance advance warning, the amount of warnings of a turn, the display of the name of the next street you turn onto, the ability of a passenger to use it while the car is moving, the consistency of the interface, control of dimming, control of voice loudness, etc. Haven't used a Garmin. I update maps once a year. They update about 4 times a quarter with official updates but user supplied updates are available too.

4. acdii

acdii Active Member

I will trust my TomTOm over any built in nav unit. Has not led me astray and got me out of a situation that my built in nav got me into. Also easy to keep up to date, and can change the voice, I like John Cleese, bear right, beaver left.

5. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am very pleased with my Garmin Nuvi1450 Lifetime Maps & Traffic $150 - Worth every penny.

BlackBerry 9930 ?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an old TomTom (2006 TomTom ONE New Edition) that I use occasionally (usually in conjunction with my Prius nav). It's 3.5" and doesn't have any of the fancy features like TTS and lane guidance that my Prius nav has but from 2006-2009, it served me well as my primary nav unit. I used it in SF, LA, LV, Seattle, Toronto and across western Canada with little issues. (some issues near Thunder Bay, ON where the highway wasn't quite mapped properly so the location marker kept going off road).

Unlike the Prius nav, you have a variety of voices to choose from and in different languages if you speak a different language (or just want to learn a new one!)