1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I get the lowering springs and rear sway bar?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mediahound, Aug 7, 2013.

1. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm considering a 2013 Prius and wondering what people's opinions are of the Prius Plus lowering springs and rear sway bar? What are considerations I need to consider?

I don't think I will get the ground effects kit as that may make it too low?

Basically I would like better handling and a cooler look but not something that is constantly scraping on driveways, etc.

2. Dawit

Dawit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the lowering springs, prius plus wheels and the body kit. Haven't had any problems with scraping.

3. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cool. Did you get the rear sway bar too?

4. longislandprius

longislandprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just got a new prius with the lowering springs and rear sway bar... and today, I put on after-market 17" wheels. (also have the ground effects kit) The car looks pretty fab, IMO. Handling wise, I haven't noticed much of a difference from my gen 2 prius... then again, my kid has been keeping me up this week, so I'm exhausted and driving like a granny :unsure:

5. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does dealership install the lowering springs and away bar? Or did you have that done elsewhere? Just curios.

6. Dawit

Dawit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I didn't get the sway bars. The springs handle really good so I'm not sure if the sway bars will make much difference.

7. longislandprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    oh, here's a fab tip for people buying a prius..... see if your dealership can get the springs, sway bar (and ground effects, if you want it), installed IN JAPAN. That way, you avoid all installation fees. the installation fees of the above 3 items can be around $1k :eek:

that saved me a massive bundle!

8. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think I'm pretty much decided to get the lowering springs and sway bar since it seems pretty clear they help with handling.

But on the ground effects, I'm in my 40's, does it make it look to kid-like? I want something that appears a bit business like, that I could potentially use for work if I wanted to. It seems like it might be a little bit too radical given that the Prius is not exactly a performance car. Thoughts?

I keep going back and forth though so would welcome input.

9. longislandprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm in my 40's too... and a professor. Hell if I care if someone doesn't like my new car! I will not be peer-pressured into an old lady car.

[​IMG]

10. sarir97

sarir97 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm in my 40s, a doctor, and I had the exact same dilemma as you. Ultimately, I decided against the body kit. I doesn't add that much more to the good looks of the car, and is an additional expense. The lowering springs with 17 or 18 inch rims will give enough of a sporty look to keep you happy.

11. Dawit

Dawit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMO it would look incomplete without the bodykit :)
    photo(18).JPG

12. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think either looks bad, but it seems without the body kit, it's a cleaner look, whereas with it (obviously), it's looks more modified and less 'EV', more like a non hybrid.

I'm sorta thinking you lose a bit of the hybrid cachet with the ground effects, but maybe that's just me

13. sarir97

sarir97 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree that it certainly is not as "clean". If the body kit was styled like that from factory, ie part of the front and rear bumper as opposed to an add on, it would look better.

However, not sure it takes away from the hybrid/EV look. Some say that because the rear bumper kit hides the muffler (mostly), the car looks even more EV.

14. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a standard 2010 Prius with 15 inch wheels and I bottom out on almost every driveway and dip in the street. I probably couldn't live in my house if it were lower.

I went with the TRD rear bar and couldn't be happier. I don't give a damm about looks it's performance I want.

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Prius looks fine with or without the body kit; it's the wheel gap you should be concerned about. Most aftermarket wheels look funky on the Prius unless lowered.

16. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    By aftermarket, do you also mean the Toyota 17" wheels?

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not necessarily. The 17" stockers don't really look that funky (otherwise, Toyota would have done something about it from factory). If you deviate from the stock specs, you're liable to end up looking goofy if you don't lower. I've seen only very few 18" wheel Prius that don't look funky unlowered (comparable to the stock Five).

However, if you get the Plus wheels, it might look funny unlowered because people are used to seeing the Plus Prius factory lowered so I'd definitely lower it with the Plus wheels.

18. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In terms of handling, do the lowering springs and anti-sway bar make a big difference? Or is it (the springs) mainly for the lowered look?

Do the lowering springs mess up the stock shocks at all by compressing them too much or anything?

19. BreitrthnU

BreitrthnU Can you smell the premix?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Springs and sway bar make a big difference. Get it. I also got Mike's mid and front under braces, I love the handling.

sarir97 likes this.
  20. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, were did you get those?