1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I haggle with 2006 asking price?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by joeman, Feb 23, 2014.

1. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have posted on here once before about a car I'm about to buy. The asking price with 144k is 6,800
    Kelly Bluebook is, excellent 6,328, good 5,728. I consider the car good cosmetically( has a bumper gash and other small issues with body)Between good and excellent mechanically . There has been no fluid changes except for oil. The reason I question trying to bring price down is because main expensive traction battery pack has been replaced recently and the Michelin tires are practically new. The car runs strong and sounds good, plan to have mechanic look at it tomorrow before buying
    Guess the guy is trying to get some of his recent investment back.
    Any suggestions?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course, haggling is expected. unless you're uncomfortable with it, then just give him what he's asking, he'll be pleased.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    really needs transaxle fluid too by now

4. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I will approach him tomorrow after inspection. I would think that all the other fluid changes alone could cost at least 500.00
    I thought I posted this on the Newbie Forum,could someone tell me where it is, I don't see it.

Apparently the moderator may have moved it here, that is cool.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's always reasonable to ask for a discount on purchasing a car. Regardless if the car needs servicing. In your case you can tell him all the fluid needs to be changed according to the maintenance schedule. (Transaxle, brake, coolant, inverter coolant). And whatever else you feel may help your case. Worst case scenario, he says no and you have to decide if the car is worth the asking price.

SM-N900P ?

6. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is true, not afraid to ask, even tho I said I would pay his asking price if inspection checks out.
    But just knowing he has not changed most fluids , I will at least try to bring asking price down 500.00
    Thanks
    btw the Avator photo was taken this past New Year's Day at the Charleston polar bear run.
    People dress up in different ways and run and dip in ocean. That's not me, haha

7. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I plan to call a local garage tomorrow that specializes in Toyoto
    Going to ask what cost to change transaxle oil and coolant. And ICU coolant and flush the brakes .So I can pass this on to the seller.
    May do most fluid changes myself, not for sure about brakes.
    JC are you garage owner, maybe you would know?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would expect to pay about $400 at the dealer. A regular shop will charge less but they probably don't have the equipment to do the brake flush.

I am not a shop owner

SM-N900P ?

9. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Back to the Bluebook value, when it comes to any car, is Kelly Bluebook close to true value of any older car?
    I mean when you plug in good or excellent, seems like a good tool to go by.
    Would like to hear if someone thinks they are too high or too low?
    Thanks

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here in CA, the bluebook value seems to be lower than the actual selling prices people are asking for their Prius cars. KBB seems to really come in low on the higher mileage cars and the owners that have them feel the value is much higher. KBB takes into account the repairs associated with higher mileage cars. The Prius however holds up fairly well compared to the competition so the pricing model KBB uses might not be as accurate when it comes to a Prius.

I would use the KBB as a negotiating tool because it seems to be lower than the actual selling prices. But even if you pay higher than KBB, it's probably what the actual value of the car really is.

There are some people that sell their cars based on KBB information and I feel sometimes they are short changing themselves in selling such a great car at such a low price.

joeman likes this.
  11. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I'd be surprised that the seller wasn't watching this thread
    I wouldn't start to ask for discount's, I'd make an offer and negotiate, the seller is asking as is where is, body, fluid's, whatever, karma requires a Texas deal (both parties are satisfied) Toyota's are great;)

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

lol. That would be funny the owner is a priuschat member and monitoring this

13. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is funny, hey if he is on here, he will know I want to come down or walk.
    I like the assessment of KBB.

14. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got a report back from Pre Purchase Inspection today, lots of thing came up considering the seller said he did immaculate maintenance on car.
    Needs a 12 volt battery, struts are weak not leaking,has original plugs, transaxle fluid needs changing.
    144k, he wants 6,800. , between KBB lower price and meeting him half way with repairs, I have offered him by email 1,100 less.
    See what happens

15. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They took the offer, I think it will be a good car to own, will take care of some of the major issues soon.
    I use to to the same thing in the 80's with older Volvo's.
    I had a 1800s and a P210.
    Thanks for all the help, onto the Credit Union.

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Congrats, $5700 is a bargain for a car with good records and a new hybrid battery. Not sure about your mumbo jumbo on the Volvo's. you lost me :LOL:

17. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks , looking forward to moving forward and driving the car.
    As far as Volvos go,that use to be the cars I bought with high mileage and mess with.
    Google Volvo P1800 an Volvo P210, doesn't matter what year, you will see the type Volvos I use to own. I feel like I'm coming back into that type of hobby again, by buying my second Prius, the 2002 Prius was just a start( 4 years ago)owned that one only 5 months, I was afraid of what I read about that transmission. It run fine at 75k, just wanted to unload it . It may have lasted ok, but like the 06 better, more fun.

18. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    JC,
    This may not be the proper place to post this, but wanted to show you the difference between two garages that work on Prius's in this area First one will be the one that did inspection in neighboring town near UNC Chapel Hill called Pitsboro, garage is Chapel Hill Tire. then the one I like outside of Raleigh called Tao Auto.
    CH Tire------------Tao
    12 volt batt. 300. 235.
    Plugs 220. 135.
    Trans change oil 168. 75.
    First one suggested flushing the fuel system for moisture for 162., Tao said not needed.
    This is all for the 06 with 144k
    Lots more but want bore you, plan to do certain stuff myself.

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't see any difference in the 1st choice and the dealer prices. The 2nd one seems to be in line with independent shop prices, I have a shop by my house that charges less than that.

Many of the things you listed can be diy, but the 2nd shop seems quite reasonable if they use the proper fluids. Transaxle uses only ws fluid from Toyota, nothing else. The fluid will run you about 10 bucks a qt at the dealer, you'll need 4

SM-N900P ?

20. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey JC,
    I'm going to make the big deal early tomorrow afternoon on the 06 Prius.
    Your right , it is a pretty sweet deal with the new battery pack and getting the price down.
    So how much of your work do you do on your Prius?
    Are the 3 listed cars you have,the ones you have owned so far, or to you have 3?
    So how long do people stay in the newbie area? Seem like when I was on here in 2009 with my brief ownership of the 2002 Prius, there was more action. I may not of been in the newbie area, guess I could look back. I had a lot of the people on here responding to actually what I found on threads on here at the time, that the 2002 era of Prius could come to a grinding halt with no warning. I was talking about the transaxle . Even had a Senior guy back me up. So I got rid of that car after owning for 5 months. The transaxles may last longer with good care, maybe.
    Do you like surfing all over PriusChat?