1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I jump on this offer?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pln9fos, May 15, 2011.

1. pln9fos

pln9fos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just found an offer for a 2005 Prius in my hometown; it seems like a steal, but there isn't much information being offered in the post about it. The price by the owner is only $4200, but they only list the following features: "Hybrid synergy drive, navigation system." What all should I check for if I go to look at this Prius?

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

2. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The offer is tempting . I would check the obvious. How many miles , does it have a clean title , do they have service records , carfax report , check for really bad odors with all the flooding in recent months people could pass of a flood damaged vehicle that was never reported. One thing that can throw up a red flag is a ton of air freshners under the seats just be careful . I'm sure others will chime in with things to look for.

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd be a little suspicious. $4000 sounds salvaged and I tell everyone I care about, never buy a salvaged car. ;) It doesn't hurt to check it out. Obviously check the mileage, ask for maintenance records/accident reports, and ask why they're selling it. If you're still interested then you can start to look at getting it certified.

Oh yeah, and :welcome:

4. samaruf

samaruf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The price is very good(depending on mileage and condition) but I'd say have it checked out at a Toyota dealership or any local mechanic who has worked on a Prius before.

Not all salvage titled cars are bad. I drove one(Sonata) for 4 years and the only reason it had a salvage title was due to hail damage. The dimples could be barely seen and I got myself a very good deal. I traded it in for my 2008 Prius. The downside is the resale value tends to be pretty bad when there's "PRIOR SALVAGE" stamped on the tile.

5. DaYooper

DaYooper Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would be very suspicious, especially if it is a craigslist ad. Probably fishing for your e-mail address so they can spam you. I see these around here on CL all the time. Offering a late model vehicle that is worth 30,000 but list it for 12,000.

6. pln9fos

pln9fos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to thank everyone for their input; the ad was taken down earlier today. I'm assuming that someone got suspicious and reported it. I'm now looking at a 2004 model for about $9000 dollars, with a lot more information offered.

Thanks again, everyone :)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good luck!