1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I just believe I need a New Hybrid Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CarRookie118, Jan 25, 2024.

1. CarRookie118

CarRookie118 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I drove my 2010 Prius IV to the dealership because I had several lights lit on my dash. The traction control system light (car with wiggly lines under it), and the yellow triangle with exclamation on the left. On the right side of the dash the engine light was on and one other yellow light with an exclamation plus the "Check Hybrid System" was staring me in my face! But no red lights.
    My car was driving okay but the day before it did feel a little off normal and the idle seemed a bit fast too.
    My service rep used an OBD? and immediately told me something was wrong with my Hybrid Battery.
    I left and later he sent me what he said was the inspection report but all it said was $5000+ in repairs was needed. I called him to say the inspection report wouldn't upload and I couldn't view it. He then starting explaining that I needed a new Hybrid Battery, and, so, I asked for the report. He texted me a paper that showed the battery cells, he said one was reading low and the paper showed the cell with Battery Block Vol -VO7, value 12.60 which he highlighted. The other 13 Battery Blocks read 14 plus. But nothing with a code was provided.
    Then he said it looked like someone had tried to steal my catalytic converter because wires were hanging down below and he said there had been a wire cut. He sent me the Vehicle Diagnostic Report of that (this had my car's serial number on it) and it showed code PO139, Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 2). That was under 'DTC Status' with 'X' under 'History' (not current or pending) and Summery "Icon A".
    So can anyone tell me if I'm being paranoid because I think I don't need a new battery and the problem is the code PO139 though I don't understand why that doesn't show on the report as current.
    Any input would be helpful. My car isn't worth more than $3000 and $5000 plus in repairs was not in the plan for this month. I'm considering taking it to another repair shop that's not owned by a Toyota Dealership and start from scratch to see what they say with no mention about today's experience.
    But it would be nice if anyone out there has any input for me.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the car believes you need a new traction battery, it generally gives you the P0A80 code. Was that anywhere among the codes you've been shown?

CarRookie118 likes this.
  3. CarRookie118

CarRookie118 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was only actually shown the one code P0139.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A 2010 should also be on it's last legs with the HV battery. So regardless if you need it right at this present moment, needing one isn't going to be too far in your future. Also if damage was done to your car by potential thieves, some of your repairs might be covered under your insurance.

fotomoto likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You can do better find a hybrid battery repair place there is one somewhere not too far from you get an independent person that knows a little bit about these cars to have a look and the story may change a bit like has been mentioned to 2010 our 2010 is already on its second battery The first one was changed 5 years ago. Our 2013 even has a replacement battery in it and that was put in about 2 years ago All these vehicles are these two vehicles were above 200,000 miles when the batteries were changed. My guy only charges me like $550 for a built replacement battery A new battery racked up from Toyota I don't know right now is about 1650 1700 If you can get to $5,000 from the 1700 and have it sitting in your car while somebody's charging quite a bit of cash but change out should be about 2 hours at $150 an hour that's 300 bucks an independent battery guy can probably do it faster than that but going to charge you the 2 hours Toyota's wants four or better independent shops might some independent shops might follow that 4-hour guideline. You have to shop around call around talk to people.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    And you're in Long Beach California You should be able to spend the month talking to people on the phone before even thinking about making a decision if that was your end game there should be plenty of places course out in California you know you're five times expensive as where I live but such as life.

7. CarRookie118

CarRookie118 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks yes, I'm going to have the sensor repaired and I've found a few places for a replacement battery much cheaper online that I will call this morning. The dealer wanted $4500 just for the battery about another $1000 to install. Online I've seen $1700 for rebuilt and $2400 for new. Guess I have to decide which now is best for me.

8. CarRookie118

CarRookie118 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes that's my plans now. Thank you for responding!

9. CarRookie118

CarRookie118 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think you're right regarding the battery. I've read a lot about the blocks and how the range in voltage affects the battery. I have a couple blocks that are bad the one with 12.6 voltage for sure and another at 14.7. Time to make a plan for sure. Thanks for responding!

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In that case, for the time being at least, you haven't been shown anything that should make you believe you need a battery yet.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try the folks at hybrid pit in buena park. idk if they do batteries, but might be able to direct you.

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Your car and HV battery are 15 years old. If it wasn't a hybrid, you would possibly be looking at a headgasket or transmission failure as the big ticket repair. I see them all the time on facebook, craigslist, etc. for $1500+. Old BEV's for $2500+.

If you get a new OEM battery, you'll have another 10+ years of reliability and higher resale value for the car. MUCH cheaper battery prices are used/rebuilt packs while new 3rd party solutions are priced somewhere in between.

GOOD LUCK!

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No trouble code has been reported that would suggest a focus on the battery.

14. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    He texted me a paper that showed the battery cells, he said one was reading low and the paper showed the cell with Battery Block Vol -VO7, value 12.60 which he highlighted. The other 13 Battery Blocks read 14 plus.

Code or no code, these values are pointing in that direction. It would never hurt to get a second opinion from a well respected hybrid shop.

Brian1954 likes this.