1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I pull the trigger (audio upgrade)?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by snowykim, Nov 21, 2009.

1. snowykim

snowykim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got the following offer from my audio shop. Basically I provide them head unit (Alpine W505), dash kit, tr-7, swi-Jack for video bypass and steering wheel control and they provide all the other parts and labor.

Package 1- $2500.00

MB Quart Components-6x9 plate-(retaining factory look)-$399.99
    Rockford Fosgate 6.5 Coaxial Rear Fill-$199.99
    Rockford Fosgate 400 Watt 4 channel amplifier-$349.99
    Rockford Fosgate 300 Watt mono amplifier-$249.99
    Rocford Fosgate Stage 2 10" Woofer-$129.99
    Subwoofer Enclosure-10"-$45.00
    Power Wire/RCA's/Dist.Block/Fuse Holder/9 Wire-$150.00
    EFX Isolator-$129.99
    Battery or Dry Cell -$249.99
    Misc ABS sheet/Wood/metal straps.-$50.00
    Labor-$550.00

Package 2- $2050.00

MB Quart 6x9-3 Way Speaker-$229.99
    MB Quart 6.5 Coaxial Speaker-$129.99
    Cobalt by Orion 600 watt 4 channel amplifier-$249.99
    Cobalt by Orion 600 watt 2 channel amplifier-$199.99
    Bazooka tube 8"-$149.99
    Power Wire/RCA's/Dist.Block/Fuse Holder/9 Wire-$150.00
    EFX Isolator-$129.99
    Battery or Dry Cell-$199.99
    Misc-$50.00
    Labor-$550.00.

Package 3- $1800.00

Boston Acoustic 6x9 3 Way Speaker-$179.99
    Boston Acoustic 6.5 Coaxial Speaker-$129.99
    Extreme 300 watt 2 channel amplifier-$149.99
    Extreme 300 watt 2 channel amplfier-$149.99
    Rockford Fosgate Stage 1 10" woofer-$89.99
    Subwoofer 10" box-$45.00
    Power Wire/RCA's/Dist Block/Fuse holder/9 Wire-$100.00
    EFX Isolator-$129.99
    Battery or Dry Cell-$199.99
    Misc-$50.00
    Labor-$550.00

LABOR has been discounted on the package deal. Amplifers & woofers were discounted at 10% off.

Here is my concern to pursue this track.
    1. Cost: It seems like it is too much for 21K car (yes, I got this one for C4C program).
    2. Any issue with warranty: I was warned at the dealership once that I should not modify any electrical system for Prius.

Now, I saw posts from other members here that they did notice huge difference by just replacing a head unit. I am thinking about attaching a power pack from alpine to my head unit and use stock speakers. It seems like installation is straightforward and do not need an external amp with stock speakers and economical as well.

Here is the link for the power pack.
    Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack Upgrade your Alpine receiver to 45 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com

Any opinion will be greatly appreciated.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, here I am pondering $400 and some change for a new Pioneer HU (w/o Nav). Personally I think a new HU is worth it. Seems like it would likely fix the FM issue and I really want a rear camera. Beyond that, I think much else would not be advantageous unless you wanted to enter the car in a audio mag/show. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have the equipment but not in this car. But to each their own.

Peter

3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You reeally need to do something about the Tweeters/squaker - and that means matching speakers, a crossover etc...

Also, add $150 for the dash trim plates.

Read some past posts on the subject.

$550 for install seems a bit high...

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could probably find better sounding equipment for the money, especially where 6x9's are concerned. Better to use a quialy 6.5" component set IMO.

Unless you like to listen to the system extremely loud you could lose the rear speakers and subwoofer amplifier. Instead you could do:

Headunit = Alpine W505
    Front speakers = 6.5" component set of high quality that you like
    4 channel amplifier = Orion XTR5004 75Watts x 2, 250Watts x 1 (bridged rear channels to run subwoofer)
    Subwoofer = Orion XTR102 or BP-HD10SD2 (sounds great for the price). *The wiring in the BP-HD10SD2 would need to be ran in series instead of factory parallel

I chose the above items because it appears you are working with an Orion (Directed Electronics) dealer and the XTR items are much nicer than the Cobalt series and IMO better than the bottom barrel Rockford stuff. I've listened to the items first hand and feel they are great for the money.

I don't run rear speakers in my car and may of our customers don't either. It just depends on how loud you like it.

1 person likes this.
  5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending on the location of the shop and the quality of their work it could be right in line. They are likely charging for 6-8hrs of shop time and at $65-$85/hr shop rate then it sounds about right. There are cheaper shops around to be sure but the ones that stay in business AND have a good reputation generally don't charge less than that unless they are located in areas of low cost of living. SoCal is a bit of an anomoly only because of the crazy amount of competition. Then again, I've seen some of the "cheap" work that comes out of that area too. lol

6. snowykim

snowykim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, F8L.
    What is your take on power pack from Alpine? I placed the link at initial post. The review is pretty good and it is the cheapest option also. Maybe I should replace front and rear speakers with your recommendation. Then again, do you think power pack option will work???

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I am looking at the item correctly it looks like a small class-D amplifier. It's advantages are small size and efficiency. If it is a true class-D amplifier then I would be concerned with sound quality. Generally speaking nearly all quality amplifiers designed to run mids/highs are a class AB design and amps designed for subwoofers where high power (and low price) is required are class-D because high signal to noise ratios are not required. Technology ios changing though and my knowledge my be antiquated.

I would choose a real amplifier over the simplified an conveniently packaged Alpine unit.

8. snowykim

snowykim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, it is plug-in play class D amp with 45 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms. I just talked to crutchfield and sales rep told me 45 watts is too much for stock speakers and I need to replace speakers as well. Does it make sense or do they try to sell me speakers as well?
    No doubt quality aftermarket speakers will be much better than stock speakers but I want to try to get the best bang for the buck:)

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You wouldn't want to put an amplifier on the stock speakers. The Rep was steering you in the right direction.

Bang for buck depends on what you find most apealing about car audio. For the typical "basshead" adding a subwoofer to a stock system is great. For someone who likes high quality and detail in their music then an amplifier and high quality speakers are very important. I should state that a quality headunit is also important because as your source unit the sound will only be as good as the stereo it comes out of.

I ran the stock speakers with a subwoofer for over a year and I was ok with it but it simply does not compare to the sound you get out of a great set of mids/highs and a new stereo. The great thing about a small system is that you can add pieces as you go. Do the stereo first. Then add and amp and subwoofer. Then add the mids/highs.

10. snowykim

snowykim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It has been a long day to me. I did some research and called various places including crutchfield.
    I pretty much decide with following set up. I understand it is not as good as my audio shop's proposal but it will be still much better than stock systems and will meet my budget.

Head Unit: Alpine IVA-W 505
    http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_500IVAW505/Alpine-IVA-W505.html?showAll=N&search=w505&ssi=0&avf=N

Amp: Alpine Power Pack KTP-445
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP445/Alpine-KTP-445-Power-Pack.html?search=power+pack&ssi=0

Front and Rear Speakers: Alpine SPR-13C
    http://signature.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Default.aspx?i=500SPR13C&search=alpine+spr13c&ssi=0&skipvs=T

I will not go with any sub this time. Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack is a simplified plug-and-play
    4 channel class d amp and it will be simple direct plug in to my Alpine head unit.

JDM side signal mirror will be installed when speakers are swapped.

I was able to pick up some parts from online source with much better price and my total cost for above parts with dash kits (UK OEM one and fill in from Metra) is almost $1,200 except JDM Signal mirror cover.

I appreciate any advice or opinion to my set up.

Thanks!

11. snowykim

snowykim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kim, speakers are something you definately should listen to before buying. They each sound so different and going by brand loyatly or someone else's recommendation can lead to disappointment.

If you have a 6x9" speakers in the door there should be no reason why you cannot fab in a set of 6.5" speakers. I've never taken the door panel off a 2010 yet but I was easily able to fit a 7" speaker in the door of my 2005 and it required no cutting.

In that price range you might check out the JL Audio VR626- CSi as well. People always seemed to like these in the soundroom compared to even more expensive speakers. Focal was also a really good choice as well. Please just listen to the speakers before making a decision. They all really do sound different. Or you might find you can't hear any difference at all so then you can buy something cheap! :)

13. snowykim

snowykim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When you go to crutchfield, most of speakers for our vehicle are 5.25 inches. My audio shop mentioned most of vehicle after 2003 comes with 6.5 inch speakers and prius is not an exception. Is it because mounting depth of door which might not work for most 6.5 inch speakers?
    How hard is it to place 6.5 inch speaker which crutchfield says "do not fit" into door of our vehicle?
    Of course not all 6.5 inch speakers come with same dimension but any body has a success other than F8L?

Also how much do I sacrifice from 6.5 to 5.25 inch speakers in terms of overall sound quality? For example , Alpine has SPR series speakers in both sizes.

Anybody has an experience with Boston Acoustics SR65 6.5 inch speaker which cruchfield says "it fits"?

I will go either with Alpine SPR-13C 5.25 inch speakers in all 4 doors or BA SR65 for front doors and Alpine SPR 13C for rear doors.
    I should not go with component system due to limited power from my Alpine powerpack amp according to my audio shop.

Many thanks!

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind I have a 2005 Prius so mine came stock with a 6.5" opening. :)

Crutchfield usually errs on the side of caution and they usually won't recomend a speaker size that is questionable. A 6x9" hole could be a tough fit for a 6.5" speaker depending on what brand and model you choose but MANY 6.5" speakers are actually closer to 6.25" so they tend to fit anyway. You will likely have to make an adapter anyway so making one for a 6.5" vs. a 5.25" really doesn't matter unless you are doing this yourself and have no tools. Any competent stereo shop should have able to install a 6.5" midrange in a 6x9" hole. Up to you though.

5.25" speakers tend to have a bit cleaner vocals but lack midbass response and that is important to me and many audiophiles so they usually win out over a 5.25" unless space is a consideration. It's all personal taste and if you donn't listen to well recorded music you may never notice the difference anyway. Like I said, go to a stereo shop and listen to different speakers and you be the judge. :)