1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

should I purchase the 3 yr/30k mile warranty on a used 2007 prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prof.curnon, Nov 3, 2014.

1. prof.curnon

prof.curnon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi everyone,

I'm been dipping into this forum these last couple of months as I've been debating whether or not to purchase a used prius, but now that I have (hooray!), I'd like to ask what people think about the dealer warranty?

the car is a 2007 package 5 with 104,800 miles on it, single owner, immaculately maintained, with full service records from the dealer. it was a trade in and beautifully reconditioned -- looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor!

dealer has a free 3 mo/3000 mile warranty on it now, but finance guy scared me into buying the extended warranty for $1725 for 3 years/30k miles, citing the age of the car and the miles on it. I have 30 days to cancel if I change my mind.

so I found laguy's thread and the consensus seems to be this car is super reliable and probably wouldn't need it, but then for peace of mind at $20/mo, it might be worth it. should I spend the money and take it to a mechanic to look it over before I decide? I imagine when the dealer reconditioned it, it passed the 150 point inspection and they fixed anything that needed fixing. I probably should look over the fine print, as someone mentioned the hybrid battery was NOT included in the warranty!

any insight or feedback would be greatly appreciated. very excited to finally own a prius!

2. GKuma

GKuma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One

3. GKuma

GKuma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I would say "no" personally, I have '07 with 225k.

Then again, how much driving do you do annually? I put at least 100 miles daily but change oil at 5k mile interval, due to high mileage.

4. prof.curnon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi hi! many thanks for your reply!

are you the original owner of your prius? I plan on driving very little (maybe 1000 miles/yr max), as I only live 2.5 miles from work... I'm hoping with good maintenance this little car will get me through the next 16 years, as my '92 acura integra did before it got stolen a few months ago. my biggest fear is that something will go kerplooey on my watch and I'll be kicking myself for not having protected myself. at this point in the car's life, do you think anything big that might have happened would have by now? or will it be a slow decline from here?

5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Insurance plans rarely pay off. Consumer Reports hates them. At very least search for a better price here on Prius Chat.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In CARB states the traction battery has a 150000 mile warranty. The Finance Guy did his job. Now do yours & get a refund. Save or invest that money so you'll have a fund to pay for any future repairs & maintenance.

PriusGuy32 and kenoarto like this.
  7. GKuma

GKuma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One

8. GKuma

GKuma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    No, I am 2nd owner, I bought with 14k miles on it, in 2009.

I'm sure after owning the car for a while, it will become your " go to car", I get 48 - 51 mpg, I have not any major problem except for the throttle body. The dealer can try to fix for $ 300 or replace for $ 1,200 (which I did) - I plan to keep it longer so I don't mind, cheaper than a car payment.

FYI, a friend has 360k on his '06 - replaced his main battery at 275k.

9. prof.curnon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for all the advice, everyone -- a resounding NO to the warranty it is then! I'll call the dealer tomorrow and cancel.
    I guess it all boils down to how comfortable one is with risk and weighing the chances of something breaking down vs. the cost to fix it...
    any statisticians in the group??

10. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check out truedelta's numbers. The Prius is inherently reliable and trouble free. Like somebody else said, the finance guy did his job, his job is to sell you on a warranty which is major profit for the dealership.

Get your refund and put that money in an emergency vehicle repair fund, if you so choose.

prof.curnon likes this.
  11. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    we bought the warranty under high pressure and returned it. they will give you little trouble.

12. prof.curnon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oh good, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who caved under pressure! after 4 hours of negotiating at the dealership, I was in no position to make any sound decisions; just wanted to get out of there (with the car, of course)! and better to say yes then and cancel later than to sign up later after having to pay out of pocket for an inspection. boy, they sure know how to get you!

priusguy32 -- thanks for the truedelta tip -- wow, goldmine of info! i had no idea this website existed. looks like only 10% of all repairs on a 2007 cost over $1000, with over half under $500. a real eye opener!

guess we don't need nate silver to do the math on this one. :)

kenoarto likes this.
  13. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I say it's your peace of mind, though the car is not gonna need it. When you buy a used car with miles you should have a few thousand in the bank but you won't need it for another 100k

iPhone ?

14. prof.curnon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    y'all just keep reassuring me that apple likely won't need any (major) work for another 100k miles -- that'll be peace of mind enough. :)

15. grandpaD

grandpaD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found out the hard way after a month of owning my prius that when needing a transaxle seal replaced they were not covered on cars with more than 100,000 miles. For what it's worth

16. prof.curnon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    good to know, grandpaD! now I'm *really* glad I cancelled the warranty!