1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I repair noisy sway bar links and sway bar bushings?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by yibo829, Nov 19, 2014.

1. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello everyone,

My car is at 95K miles now, last week I finally got the dealer to diagnose the front end grunt noise when going over speed bumps. They said the sway bar links and sway bar bushings need to be replaced and it will cost around $900. I got quotes from independent shops as well, and it will cost around $400.

My question is, how important is it for me to get this repaired? The links are not broken, they are probably just worn so they make noises when going over bumps. Will it negatively impact my safety if I hold off on it longer? Also, I have noticed this noise at around 60K miles, so apparently I have been driving around with this problem for over 30K miles.

Thank you for your input.

Fostel likes this.
  2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, you should. The car will start to wobble, almost uncontrolably, when going round bends on turning into side streets, especially ones with a camber.

At first it's not so bad and is just noisy and irritating, but eventually they will bang and knock loudly and could come free if left. But the main worry for me is the handling. As a taxi the bushings go regularly here because having passengers in the back puts stress on them, especially when turning into side streets as described above. The entrance to my local hospital is like that and I remember in other cars where I'd left the bushes too far past their sell by date that the car would rock back and forth quite alarmingly.

So back to your question. Yes, you should.

Fostel likes this.
  3. johnjamis

johnjamis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just replaced the sway bar end links on my 2005. This is not a difficult job. They cost $10 - $30 each from Rockauto and are easy to get to behind the front brake discs. You may need a good pair of vice grips to hold the back of the stud stationary while you remove the nut. Mine were rusty and took a little effort to get the nut off. If the stud is not too rusty, a hex wrench in the end of the stud will hold it while you turn the nut. Some penetrating oil helped.

The sway bar bushings are more difficult to change and are probably not not the main problem, so do the end links first.

#3 johnjamis, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    Fostel and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  4. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Aside from the obvious safety reasons, bushings wear out faster, the more they wear.
    Best to nip it in the bud.

Fostel likes this.
  5. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks for the responses. I'm having another dealer do the work at $460 dollar. So far the links have been changed but the bushings are apparently on national back order so those will be changed later.

6. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    buy a 12mm wrench, some jack stands and diy. you'll save money even after buying the tools. the links would have been an easy diy too, but oh well.

Fostel likes this.