1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I take the Toll Road or the Non-Toll Road?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Akoforever, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Akoforever

Akoforever Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hello Prius Chat people!

I've been driving my Prius C since August 15 and I have to say I like the car a lot. I went from a 2004 Scion Xb BTW. I never thought about the cost of my commute to and from work until I got my Prius C. Now I'm perplexed with anguish in what route to take to and from work!

Of note: all of my notes and calculations below are assuming a one way trip only for simplicity sake.

Question I'm setting out to answer: Would you take a longer route to and from work which has no toll OR would you pay the Toll and take the shorter router?

Here are some pros and cons I thought of...

Shorter Route
    Pro:
    1. Shorter Route! 33 Minute ride
    2. Less fuel usage compared to longer route
    3. Less wear and tear on vehicle compared to longer route

Cons:
    1. Toll road: $1.50 each way. Sometimes I pay the toll then have to sit in traffic.

Longer Route
    Pro:1. No Toll! Instantly reduces total cost of trip (the savings of the $1.50 toll translates into a lot of fuel for my car...)

Cons:
    1. Longer route! 41 Minute ride Although there is traffic here too, I feel better sitting in traffic knowing I didn't pay a toll to sit in traffic.
    2. .38 cents more fuel usage one way
    3. Additional "wear and tear" on vehicle compared to shorter route.

Here's some numbers....
    Section 1: FACTS
    • Toll Road (GSP)
    Price
    $1.74 One way trip
    +$1.50 Toll

Distance
    26.5 Miles which can be driven in 33 minutes

Distance
    35.2miles which can be driven in 41 minutes

Section 2: Calculations
    Considering one way Toll Road trips only @ $3.24 (fuel and toll) X 5 days of commuting = $32.40 per week
    Considering one way Non-Toll Road trips only @ $2.12 (fuel only) X 5 days of commuting = $21.20 per week

To calculation a full month of one way trips and assuming a four week month we arrive at...
    $32.40 X 4 = $129.60
    $21.20 X 4 = $84.80
    Difference = $44.80 savings which is derived from fuel and tolls

The cost of saving $44.80 per month in my new Prius C by taking the non-toll road are:
    1. 8 extra minutes of driving a day...40 extra minutes of driving a week. 2.6 Hours extra a month
    2. Incalculable amount in vehicle "wear and tear"
    3. Additional 8.7 miles driving a day...43.5 additional miles a week.... 174 additional miles per month

My question to you is two parts. One, what other factors should be taken into account which could assist in arriving at a better determination of the route to take. Two, simply put, is it worth it to save a potential $44.80 per month by driving additional 174 miles in that same month? Isn't the additional miles, time on the road and wear and tear on the vehicle worth it? (my opinion is that the extra time on the road is almost nothing, adds 8 minutes one way, in regards to the mileage, well, I brought a car to drive it, not to try to drive it less. The wear and tear? I don't know about this one, I guess I'll feel it more when I actually have to pay for my first repair)

Thanks for your thoughts and I really really really appreciate you taking the time to read my long post! Additional thanks if you could throw your two cents in it.

frugaldriver likes this.
  2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The IRS calculates a car to cost $0.55/mi and AAA calculates $0.56/mi in 2012.

So :
    $3.24 + (26.5mi * $0.555/mi) = $17.9475 one way with tolls
    $2.12 + (35.2mi * $0.555/mi) = $21.656 one way with no tolls

That assumes your time is worthless.

If you make the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hr, then those 8 minutes costs you ((8min * 1hour/60min) * ($7.25/hr)) = $0.967

So with no additional wear and tear, your trips are:

$3.24 +$3.988 = $7.228 with toll
    $2.12 + $4.954 = $7.074 with no toll

Factor them together and:

One way trip on toll road: $21.935
    One way trip without toll: $28.73

So the toll road is cheaper if you factor in the average wear of the average vehicle each journey to your minimum wage job.

If you did it on time-cost alone, for the toll road to be cheaper you would have to make:

$3.24 + ($x/hr * (33/60)) < $2.12 + ($x/hr * (41/60))
    3.24 - 2.12 < 0.68x - 0.55x
    1.12 < 0.13x
    $8.615/hr < x

So if you make more than $8.615/hr, the toll road is cheaper neglecting wear on the car.

There are an infinite number of variables here. Is the toll road more pleasant? How much is "pleasantness" worth?

Akoforever and frugaldriver like this.
  3. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My longer, slower, non-freeway route home uses about 15% less fuel than my freeway, faster, shorter route.

It's kind of funny but getting stuck in traffic with a Prius means our mileage goes up.

RocMills likes this.
  4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No one said you have to do one or the other so mix it up. :)

5. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I take back roads all the time since I've got my C. There is no way I personally can make the same mileage on the toll as I can make on my back roads. Especially now, when the temperature here is in lower 70's in the morning and lower 90's in the afternoon I can make 70+ mpg just by going with the flow and by paying attention on the traffic light ahead of me. As for wear and tear I guess my ICE is going to work all the time while I am on the toll when I can glide and make it work less while driving the back roads. As for the bearings on my axles, my bet is that they are going to roll with no issues way more than I am planning to keep my car.:)

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I learned how to take US1&9 to NYC when the prior Gov was talking about doubling the tolls on the Turnpike. I've driven on the Parkway a few times & you can keep it. Too many idiots for my taste. I avoid tolls when I can and there is a reasonable alternative.

I do pay the tunnel toll in MD and the toll at the Susquehanna River because the alternate free routs are too inconvenient. US1 across the dam is a nice ride though & works if one is going into PA.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Is either one safer/less stressing? That's the one I'd take.

8. Revan86

Revan86 Animal nerd and alt car guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I find non highway roads to be more predicable in travel time. I dont know how uptight your work place is with lateness but the # one reason i have to let people go is being late. How much is your job worth and how uptight is your work is what i'd think about.

9. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Personally, I would take the route you are most comfortable with/enjoy the most.