1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

should the ICE make this sound?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jry423, Dec 14, 2009.

1. jry423

jry423 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just buoght my Prius, so I don't have a lot of experience to go on. Anyway, at startup, when the ICE comes on, and under light to moderate acceleration, it sounds to me like the engine knocks. Not the deeply internal tock tock tock tock like this

but more like this :
    You'll have to sit through, or FF to the 0:58 mark.

Actually almost exactly like that. So since the second video guy seems to have about as much mechanical knowledge as I have, it was no help. Is that just a normal Toyota sound? Did the previous owner rag my car to the end of its life? It's a one owner car, and according to the records the Toyota dealer had, it was purchased there new, maintained there, and traded in on a new Prius, so I would think it was probably taken care of, but I've never had a car make that sound, so...

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm not aware of my 07 Prius making that noise, but some noises are just inherent to the particular engine, so you would be better off finding another Prius to compare to. I do hear some valve noise from my Prius when revving about 3k, but I don't do that very often, most of the time I can't tell whether the engine is running by listening to the noise; I can tell by the Scangauge and by the seat of pants feel whether the ICE (internal combustion engine) is running.

BTW, the valve near the end of the clip on the Sienna is a VSV (vacuum switched valve) and it might have a leak, or it might be working correctly; one would need to look at the service manual for the test procedure to see if it was working correctly or not. You can find Toyota service manuals at:
    http://www.techinfo.toyota.com/
    for a subscription fee.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mmm, no, that doesn't sound quite right. First check the oil, then have a Prius technician (most of them are at dealers) check it out. Do not try to correct it by using higher octane gas; that may only mask the problem.

4. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Seeing that neither of your Video's are of a PRIUS I am confused?

Why not take the PRIUS knocking sound video to share???

Knocking raises some concern, low oil, bad compression, Pump?

I would have it checked at your dealer but it didn't appear either of your Video's were of the car in question....?????

Or am I confused???? :confused: 2008 Sienna???

5. jry423

jry423 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, Bob. You're confused. Close your eyes, and pretend the 08 Sienna is my Prius. That's the sound my Prius is making. I don't have a video of mine, because I've never uploaded video, and while I'm certain my blackberry can do it, I don't know how, and these videos are already online. :)
    Thanks for the advice, I'll make an appointment to take it to the dealer to be checked out.

6. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not confused just spoled by the sunshine and ability to wear shorts in your video! In 6 months we can again! LOL

If your oil levels appear normal and your not noticing anything else apparent, just make an appt and stop over to the dealer..Since it's so new...I would rather they check it to be sure. Plus there is a paper trail for service history....

I had it in my 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid...sounded like a lifter, but each and every time I took the honda in they said "Normal". Well at least I had the paperwork to say it was....

Have not noticed any ticking, or tap sound in the 2010 Prius...But if It should I would do the very same and make an appt at the dealer...

Good luck and let us know what they find if anything....;)

1 person likes this.
  7. jry423

jry423 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll do that. Appointment scheduled for Wednesday. :)