1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should the Prius be Changed to Power Up in Power Mode if it is Turned Off in Power Mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Apr 4, 2010.

?
  1. Yes it should

50 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No it should not

40 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2010 Prius will not currently power up in Power Mode if it is turned off while in Power Mode.

It will power up in Eco Mode if turned off in Eco Mode.

Do you think it should be revised to power up in Power Mode if shut off in Power Mode?

Please vote, thanks ;)

2. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I voted yes because I prefer that I tell my machine what to do rather than having it tell me.

3. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No. It's similar to an automatic transmission with overdrive. When you start up, you get the overdrive position. If you want to be more aggressive, you push the button to take it out of overdrive.

First post. Two week owner, one week driver. Got rear ended and having to tough it out with an $18 a day rental.

4. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Might not have gotten rear ended if you were in power mode. :D

1 person likes this.
  5. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although you can also be eco when you are in Power mode, a lot of us don't and just enjoy the power too much. The car wants you to drive economically so I think powering up anything but Power mode is a good choice.

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    While I prefer it the way it is as I use power mode only when I'm in a hurry and it's nice to have it reverted back to normal when I drive it again, I voted yes because I think it's better to give drivers all three options as default.

7. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I voted yes even though i hardly use power mode.
    I know there are drivers that use it exclusively or almost exclusively so lets give them the option ;)

8. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not a good idea! Say someone who is used to ECO mode uses Power for a particular situation and forgets to switch back when they park. Couple of hours later, they start up and press down the accelerator as they usually do and wham! It will be on every newscast by that evening! Another killer Prius strikes again!

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why buy an eco car and then keep it in Power mode? Why not just go buy a sports car and have done with it?

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Prius was developed and created with one thing in mind: conservation and eco.

The Mustang was developed and created with one thing in mind: power.

Choose your mode then choose your car.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all your replies so far, keep 'em coming.

Seems like a touchy subject.

I suppose the biggest reason to not allow the car to power up in Power Mode is safety - someone else gets in the car, it's in Power Mode, they hit something or someone.

But, I do want to emphasize that driving around in Power Mode does not necessarily mean one will be accelerating fast all the time. It is very doable to accelerate moderately in Power Mode.

I drove at least half of 146 miles (varied driving) in Power Mode and calc'd average 52.13 MPG in a III the other day.

At least we have the choice of modes which is another big plus for the 3rd Gen Prius.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

12. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Because the Prius is still super-efficient even in PWR mode!!! If there is a measurable loss, I haven't seen it, and it's HOW you drive (and to a far, far greater extent, what kind of trips you take) that affects mpg, not which mode you're in.

Forcing the car out of PWR mode is eco-fascism, and does nothing for the environment.

13. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    PWR mode doesn't suddenly transform it into a 'vette... :roll: It has as much kick as a typical midsize - in normal mode, it has less.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    'Course the Prius turns that inside out - choose it, then choose your mode. ;)

But, I know what you mean though.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the other person said it better - they're used to eco mode or regular, don't notice it's in Power Mode and maybe they hit something.

I would hate to see the Prius get a bad reputation. Not sure where I really stand on the issue since don't own a Gen3. I didn't vote.

That's why I'd like all your opinions.

16. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have been in PWR mode continuously for the past 3 days and am displaying 56.5mpg - even though a lot of it was highway (often at 74mpg).

If you're going to force the car out of PWR mode to protect the environment from the 1% additional carbon that might be produced, then you should force the sky not to rain because of the additional 10%, and force the weather not to get cold because of the other additional 10%.

This is obviously not about saving the environment, it's about who thinks they are a better person by using ECO mode all the time, and believes that gives them the right to dictate to everyone else.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm doubting this. Plenty of other cars have a similar touchy throttle response.

I think the reason is more likely related to the EPA sticker. If it can stay in PWR mode, then it likely must be run through the EPA test cycle in that mode, and would get an EPA label of only 49, not 50. This would be a significant marketing issue.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I vote yes. Anybody getting into an unfamiliar car should be cautious anyway. If it's the owner, then perhaps have it blink the PWR MODE light 3 times at start up (along with a soft beep) as a remnder? Maybe that'll satisfy both worlds.

19. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's exactly the reason - and not because the acceleration would be different (the EPA uses a strict testing regimen, and would use the same acceleration regardless of what mode you were in), but because of other parameters that use slightly more gas and would give a slightly lower score (like how quickly the engine shuts off at lights).

And yep, it would be a major marketing issue if they had to say "EPA 49mpg estimated" instead of 50...

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    How hard is it to hit Power next to the shifter when going into Drive? Since PWR just remaps the first 50% of the accelerator pedal response anyway, one could equally get used to pushing harder in normal or ECO (I do this anyway).