1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should the reverse camera be optional?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kiloran, Oct 21, 2005.

?
  1. No. Couldn't justify it to my spouse if I had a choice.

100.0%
  2. Yes. Never backed up over a kid and can parallel park fine.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

The reverse camera is reportedly included in most of the 2006 packages.
    Most estimates I have seen estimate the cost of this component at around $400.

It seems likely to me that this could be sold as a dealer-installed option.
    (The wiring could be included in the harness of each vehicle with the camera installed at the dealer if ordered.)

You may think it's cool but do you think its ok that you don't have the option not to buy it with most packages?

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

:rolleyes: Oops. Voted NO when I meant YES.

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Not good wording of the question in light of the choices.

Just yesterday, on another thread, I was griping about having to swallow the camera in order to get SmartKey. Not reasonable. A built-in high-profit margin on every package except one.

4. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    neither answer is clear so it's not a logical argument.

The "no" answer implies that you're only saying no because your wife wouldn't let you pay for it, and the "yes" answer is sarcastic about your driving abilities.

try again.

5. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

The answers are Yes or No.

:rolleyes: The added text is just for fun. (Kinda thought that was obvious.)
    I'm sorry that some folks are taking the added text seriously.

6. Tomel

Tomel New Member

I vote "yes", it should be an option. I like to order what I want, not "packages" where I have to pay for something I don't need in order to get something I feel is important. Obviously, Toyota's packaging is designed to maximize profit.

7. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's not that I'm a stick in the mud, or that I'm taking things too seriously, it's that your question isn't clear as to it's intent. I get the impression you don't like the camera, think it's a waste, and are upset you have to buy it with a package. I also get the impression that you're polling to see if people feel similarly to you in this way. If so, are you asking if it should be "optional" because:

a. That would make it available to everyone without having to buy a package (a good thing)?
    b. Having it as a required part of the package is a rip-off (a bad thing)?

See? Your statement, "but do you think its ok that you don't have the option not to buy it with most packages?" confuses the question.

Let me put it this way: YES, I think it should be optional, so that EVERYONE can get it, but not because I'm upset that it's included in the packages - I think it SHOULD be part of the packages, just like it is. However, I answered NO to your poll, because I thought you were asking if it should be offered seperately from the packages, which I didn't...

:blink:

See? I didn't even consider squids argument, below, that it should be STANDARD, rather than optional, which is an entirely different way to look at your question....

8. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I say "no", and here's why:

Why not? If there are any items that can be added to make a vehicle arguably safter, within a reasonable manner (reasonable, as to exclude concepts that might be seen as overboard in terms of cost to manufactur, etc (i.e. foam filled no-flat tires)), then aren't you ethically obligated to do so?

The components for this sort of thing are REAL cheap these days... Particularly since there's already an MFD to be tapped into (assuming, of course, that's the way it would be done).

9. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree. This sort of options are really cheap ($200-$300) to be included at Toyota factory than to be added on later as a dealer-installed option ($2000?!). :)

10. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Any item? Who gets to decide? I understand your point, but can't agree because I'm not an attorney. ;)

11. ched1968

ched1968 New Member

i answered NO also instead of YES because the added wordings makes it really confusing.. i want it to be included in the unit because its part of safety and should not be optional at all..i have a '05 package 6 with nav and really trying to find out where to install the back up camera for less than $500 afraid that dealer will not install them and if they will, they're gonna charge me a fortune.. Thanks :rolleyes:

12. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Wouldn't a backup beeper be a more effective and less expensive "safety" feature.
    With one of those, a pet or kid would actually be alerted to get out of the way.

13. jeneric

jeneric New Member

What do you mean? I'm just buying it for the backup camera. The Prius should be optional.

14. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have the backup camera. Having used it for 18 days, I think I would prefer a talking backup sensor instead. When I'm backing up, I need to look out the rear window and three mirrors. Now I find myself looking at the rear camera video too. That's too many visual sources to check. (Yeah, I don't have to look at all of them.) So for me, a sonar or EM wave solution with audio feedback would be better.

BTW, the video image is impaired when it rains due to water drops near the lens.

I voted yes, it should be optional. I could have put the money into a backup sensor instead.

15. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I think the Toyota dealerships should have 2 doors.

A smaller one labeled "the rest of you"

and a big wide one labeled "Stupid People"

If you walk in the stupid people door, the only choice is how long it will take to prep the car for you. Price, options, color and interest rate are already decided and since you're that dumb, you don't even have to sign the paperwork. Just by virtue of having walked though the stupid door, you authorize direct debit from your bank account.

The rest of us will have a choice. If we get the Prius with no airbags and no reverse camera, we will have to adjust to not having them.

You won't have to worry a thing about it... in fact, you may not get a prius in the end anyhow... it may be that another car has been chosen for you.

16. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yeah, it would be a trip to go online to their "Build a Toyota" site and be able to enter all the items you want as well as your choice of color. Maybe have discounts set up if you order a package, rather than "a la carte." Then when you click "Submit" you're given a price (less local tax and destination charges) and a date for delivery to the location of your choice. Then you click "Commit" and give your credit card number for the deposit. :)

I'm looking into reverse sensors myself, perhaps on with a readout as well as audio. My wife has that (no readout) on her Windstar and it works fine.

17. Springtime

Springtime Member

When I was considering a 2005 vs a 2006 the subject of the backup camera came up. The dealer offered to install an aftermarket backup camera in the 2005. He quoted two different models one at $500 and one at $750. So it is certainly possible to install the backup camera on a 2005 if you are willing to spend the money to have it done.

Springtime

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I answered Yes, it should be an option, and I'd have ordered it if they offered it in 2004. The buyer should have a choice. I also agree that a backup beeper and a sonar or radar backup alert sensor would be great.

One of several reasons I bought a Honda instead of a Toyota in 1988 was the "options package" concept in Toyota, vs the a-la-cart options for Honda. With today's technology, they could offer each option a-la-cart, you could order your car with a non-refundable deposit, and immediately get a VIN number and firm delivery date.

Toyota makes the best car there is, but they do not seem to care about the customer. Their cars are so good, they don't have to. Sigh!