1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should Toyota release PiP Gen2 nationwide, if...

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by usbseawolf2000, Mar 19, 2015.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If EV miles emit more than HV miles, should Toyota release PiP Gen2 nationwide?

Below are the states where Leaf's emission is equivalent to a gas car.

Let's assume HV mode will get 55 MPG and PiP Gen2's EV mode is as efficient as the Leaf.

Should Toyota release PiP in the states below 55 MPG? I'd say no. It'll be counter productive. Not only bigger battery pack is more expensive, you also need to charge it up. It'll also cost tax payer money (plugin tax credit), for what? To emit more emission?

Discuss.

[​IMG]
    USA Today Gets it Wrong – The Benefits of EVs Are Real - The Equation

giora, Redpoint5 and Sergiospl like this.
  2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    YES! :D

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't need graphs, maps, numbers etc. If they want to take sales away from the Volt, they will have to do a nationwide rollout for the Gen 2. Sure, they should have done it already some would say, but I say starting with the Gen 2 PiP a nationwide rollout needs to happen and will, at least IMO.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So, do it for the sales rather than for the environment?

Should we disregard the primary reason why Prius was created?

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sure, if one wants to take into account the environment it can be part of the equation. It wasn't part of the equation for me when I made my post, that's all.

6. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Environmental impact is part of Prius equation. Hence the question on whether if Toyota should abandon their primary objective and get some more plugin sales?

They are not getting green cred for doing the right thing. Why not get the green perception and go with higher EV range and roll it out nationwide?

Then, should Gen2 PiP be limited to 30 mph in EV mode?

#7 usbseawolf2000, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Overlay the chart of population distribution over that map above. What's the population in the BEST zone vs. those in the GOOD zone? The dealers don't have to order them but if the customer wants one, they can order it and service it in their hometown. Right now, it's about education and cost reduction. Yes, it may end up with higher pollution if someone in the GOOD state bought an EV instead of a Prius (or anything better than 40mpg combined) but the cost is spread over more people and the quicker the companies can recoup the R&D cost, the quicker we'll have better performing vehicles.

Look at what Toyota was able to offer in 2009 with the 3rd Gen Prius vs. the 2nd Gen. The Prius had the market practically to itself. Right now, the thin market is spread even thinner with LEAF, Volt, Energi models and other PHVs & EVs vying for customers. It'll be hard for any one company to make the same strides Toyota did with the Prius.

Trollbait likes this.
  9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My opinion...the PIP was designed as a compliance vehicle, but this niche market has changed due to competition. If the PIP is to become a successful product financially for Toyota, they must increase the range and make it available to everyone. Question is...does Toyota consider "this vehicle" a priority.

Trollbait and Redpoint5 like this.
  10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Comply to what?

It was launched in top 13 states with cleanest electricity.

11. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The smallest battery possible to comply with California's requirements to qualify for carpool lane access, zero emission vehicle standards, etc.

mozdzen, Trollbait and rxlawdude like this.
  12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you. CARB. So they can sell any vehicles in the states that apply.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Isn't RAV4 EV for that?

Yes, PiP is cleaner than regular Prius in CA. It was also launched in non-CARB states. How do you explain that?

rxlawdude likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    build the pips, and clean electricity will follow. clean fossil fuels is an oxymoron.

Trollbait likes this.
  15. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They could but PiP might be a hard sell there. The areas that are displayed with the ultra low mpg gasoline equivalent emission also have much cheaper and more plentiful gasoline and the areas to travel are much farther apart. There just wouldn't be the incentive to plug-in as much, although they would be ahead by using the gas engine more. The areas displayed also seem to have drought issues, excessive heat, and more likely to have severe weather. Having a PiP might give them a piece of mind if they could use the battery for emergency purposes (for more than just what a 12V inverter could do).

Couple of options if Toyota were to pursue this market that might be a hit:

1) Emergency EV with direct 120V port (400 Watts minimum)
    2) Automatic rear window shade, perhaps manual side window shades.
    3) Solar Roof Package like in the Prius Three and Four

I highly doubt the 2.7 kWh they would pump into their car would even begin to register with all the air conditioning, electric stoves and electric heat . Don't forget the blended mode that would likely kick in as well with the 70/75 mph speed limits in many of those same states.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i do see toyota coming out with a second gen pip, but i don't see them pursuing competitive sales volumes.

17. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Even if some states don't exactly have "clean" energy, I still think they should release the next gen PiP nationwide. Maybe someone who drives a gas guzzler wants a replacement vehicle, and decides to buy the PiP because it's the best overall value for their needs compared to say, an EV such as the Leaf.

The way I see it, the more people that we can wean off gas only cars, the better for the environment, regardless of where it's plugged in. If Toyota refuses to release the next gen PiP nationwide, people seeking a plug in hybrid will find one in their competitors such as the Volt or C-max/fusion energi. Yeah, they have drawbacks too, but at least you can buy those nationwide, instead of having to special order it, or flying out to a state that sells it, and shipping/driving it home.

Trollbait likes this.
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We've seen that map before, and I said it looks to me like CO2 gerrymandering where they try to say, for example, Pittsburgh is dirty but they carve out a bunch of PA and say its clean. Looks to me like someone is trying to carve out a big clean zone, which is bigger than I think it really is.

But anyways if you look at the EPA Clean Power Plan, EPA is proposing to demand an enormous shift to non-carbon nuclear and renewable sources, in relatively short time order (2020 interim targets). I have trouble seeing it happen, probably gets watered down in the final rules due this summer. In there, EPA gives each state a power plant plan they have to follow...Virginia's is especially onerous. I guess they wanted to teach VA a lesson. MD and WV got off easier.

But I like to see PiP2. I want to run some calcs looking at if say, we bumped VA hybrid ownership to 10-20%, how much CO2 would that save, and could that offset instead of having EPA shut down all of our fossil fuel power plants. In any case, I am not a big fan of big power plants.

#18 wjtracy, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can think of a couple of ways to reduce cars' oil consumption.

The sexy but expensive way is to keep increasing the electric portion of the car's motivation, and, as this thread attests: the way the electricity is produced may be doing an end-run around the good intentions, at least in part.

The low tech, and very simple method, if possible: drive less.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're going to rely on the general public without government persuasion, (incentives) consumption is likely to go up.