1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should we wait till 2007 comes out?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Nov 10, 2005.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is alot of new exciting options coming out in 2007... the hybrid altima, camry, etc...
    With new competition.. I keep hearing rumours Toyota will be increasing the Combined mileage of the prius to 65???

They may be adding more batteries to get more AH... Up to 25 Kw from its present 21Kw. And raise the "no spin" ICE limit to above 40 MPH to "who knows", but at any rate, it appears a 10 MPH increase in combined gas mileage would be approx 20% more gas savings?

The increase in battery size would effectively allow more electic storage to run off of later and thereby increase mileage dramatically.

*Does anyone else know any better facts or even rumours?....

I think Danny is ordering the 2006 as so am I?... I wonder if It will be regretted later in a few months? I"m just trying to see in the near future as much as I can?

If we could just get our hands on more batteries and a kit to do so... simply enlarging the battery bank I think will be the main edge that improves gas mileage.

2. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you play that game, then you can do the same wondering all over again next year, about the 2008. Anything that involves technology is always changing. The new model year for the Prius will likely be 2008 or 2009. That's when the big changes are likely to occur (assuming Toyota goes with their standard 5 year model).

Are you buying the 2006, just to buy it or do you need a car? If you need one, get it. There will always be something better down the road, but it's not as if the 2007 is a month or two away. The 2006 isn't even here yet! :eek:

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Thats the problem.. my car is ageing but it currently runs perfect.. I could wait another year with no problem... the technology has stayed the same since 2003.. .the only real improvement 2006 has brought is leather and a few trim issues....

I know they will always be upgrading.. like buying a new computer, but this may be an upgrade that will stick for at least a few more years?

4. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If that's the case and you feel your car can reliably get you through another year, I'd wait. I was in a similiar situation. My Jeep had 150k miles on it. It was currently running pretty good, although it did make an odd noise every now and then when I'd turn which had me a little concerned. I already replaced the tranny at 100k and I was up for brakes and a 150k tune up. I really was questioning putting another 30k miles on it.

Not really wanting to start up with a car payment again, I decided with the Prius and the gas savings alone, it was worth it.

Sounds like your decision should be a bit easier. I'd wait, start making car payments to yourself now and put that as a down payment in the fall.

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Funny you have a jeep with 150K on it.. thats what I have!

6. habel

habel New Member

I don't know what WE should do - but I am signing the contract for a new 2006 tomorrow! :)

With IPA - looking forward to try that system in real life.

You can always wait for something better - but I think the 2006 has a lot of small and nice enhancements - and I don't believe we will see large improvements next year already, not before the next Prius comes along.

Henrik

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There's also the rule to avoid the first year of a new model because it will have bugs, spartan trim, and many minor issues.

8. habel

habel New Member

True, but the 2006 does in no respect fall into that category - quite the opposite really.

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

If all they are really doing is turning up the free spin and increasing battery bank size.. I can't imagine that would be buggy at all... take them 10 minutes to do...but of course you never know till you know!

10. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

It would be unusual that all a car company would change is one thing at the "new version" point. I agree with the "don't buy the first model year" of a new version, which is why I got a 2005 instead of 2004. And seemed to have avoided several recalls as a result.

I wouldn't be likely to buy a car from the first year of the next "new version" of the Prius, either.

-Roger

11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

The 07' will not be a redesign, very possibly just like an 06' is going to be (kinda like the 05' to the 04') so if it is just a should I wait for the 07' for the hell of it why bother... JMO

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If only it were that simple. The no spin speed is determined by the RPM limits of MG1, to increase that then you need a different MG1. Different MG1 changes all algorhythms in the HV ECU.

Added battery capacity could decrease gas milege for some (due to added weight), particularly those who primarily drive on the highway.

I would bet big that there will be no new model/generation of Prius until '08 at the earliest.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I would think if the whole present battery is 99lbs, then the new one would be no more than 25lbs more, if even that since the batt technology keeps getting lighter for more AH, .... but I get your point on the MG1.. that may indeed be quite a complicated accomplishment....

The main thing I was thinking about.... if present mpg ratings are "60/51/55" (City, Highway, Combined), then in order for the "combined rating to increase to 65, we would have to have one heck on an increase on the city rating? The city rating is where all the savings really takes place since its stop and go and low speeds... and place where extra battery capacity would excell!... my problem is I don't do city driving.. I get on the road and cruise 60 - 80 mph for 20 minutes till I get to work, then I'm done.... I"m not sure I would realize the savings proposed too much.

I wonder what a simple addition of a whole added battery bank would do to wire in parallel?.. I"ve have seen this question proposed alot, but no one has tried it out here at least?... I located one for 1250.00.

14. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Won't Toyota want some time to recoup their investment in the basic '04 model? It seems like if they're constantly releasing major versions they're going to have more trouble recouping their capital investment. Unless they want to try to strangle the competition perhaps by getting as far ahead technologically as possible.

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You may be right Efusco, and whenever the nice upgrades kick in, the resale is always pretty sweet on the old ones... esp as long as there is a waiting list for the new ones...

16. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you replaced the transmission yet? If not, trade that sucker in as quickly as you can get to the dealer.

OT - I went to an auto show last weekend and Jeep had this camp Jeep setup. It was a 45 minute wait, so there was no chance I would wait for that. I did think it would be neat to drive it, but I've done that stuff in the real world. Then as we walked around the course to check it out, I noticed that you didn't actually get to drive! They drive you around the course! I would have been so ticked off if we had waited and then go to our turn to find out we didn't drive. I just don't get it - what's the point? I did stuff much worse than the course my self :)

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget that the HiHy and RX400h have the upgraded battery. It's smaller and thinner than ours (not sure if it has the same output or more but the max is up to 650V).