1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should've just ADMITTED DUI in the first place...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

http://www.boston.com/news/local/rhode_isl...i_in_plea_deal/

So they spun this whole story how it was anything BUT DUI a few weeks back, and now...

a-wipe. Should have just had the balls to say, "Yeah, I a bit tipsy and wrecked...". Wouldn't have been bad if they hadn't spent so much time and effort insisting it WASN'T DUI.

:angry:

2. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I think it went down like this because they have the Kennedy DUI forms right there in the car already filled out. It's the police version of speed dial, it saves them paperwork time when they pull a Kennedy over for DUI.

By the way... Do you think you would have gotten a 'ride home' if you smacked the wall on the way home after a bender?

3. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jun 13 2006, 11:15 AM) [snapback]270544[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah a politician admitting they did something wrong. That happens so often :lol:

4. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jun 13 2006, 12:37 PM) [snapback]270565[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

If you consider home the slammer, then yeah... :lol:

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ok. Seriously now. Who actually thought it was anything BUT a DUI?

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

He admitted to taking an Ambien and Phenergan the night of the accident, so I don't see what the revelation is here.
    BTW, if you ever stay up late and watch television, as I do occasionally, you are bombarded with advertisements for Ambien. It has only recently come out in news how dangerous this drug is. Over the holidays, a friend of mine (who drinks very moderately) could not sleep and took two of them. The next morning, she was totally disoriented and crashed into a stationary work vehicle on the Newport bridge. Fortunately no one was hurt but her car was totalled. She was originally charged with DUI but the charges were thrown out in court.

7. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 13 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]270656[/snapback]</div>
    heh, well, unlike your stated situation, there were a bunch of people who witnessed his excessive drinking that night. This DUI charge isn't going to get tossed out of court.

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ Jun 13 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]270568[/snapback]</div>
    Especially a Lefty.

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

If he did anything more than use poor judgement and take two medications at the same time that had adverse effects, then that should come out at his hearing. Until then, he should be "innocent until proven guilty."
    Oh, I forgot- that only applies to conservatives.

10. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh goodie, yet another FHOP topic that's devolved into tit-for-tat abuse by post #8.

[sarcasm] Thankyou ever so much for starting these productive and enlightening threads. [/sarcasm]

11. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 14 2006, 07:24 AM) [snapback]271031[/snapback]</div>
    *sigh*, if that were ONLY reality...

12. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 13 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]270656[/snapback]</div>
    My wife took Ambien for 1 1/2 years, and suffered a LOT of memory loss, even to this day, 7 years later. The doctors back then refused to admit the Ambien had anything to do with it. :rolleyes:

13. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Jun 14 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]271144[/snapback]</div>
    There are a lot of over-the-counter drugs that are potentially dangerous, and should be at least investigated or in some cases made prescription-only. But pharmaceutical companies have far too much clout. Meanwhile, the federal government feels compelled to protect us from medical marijuana.

14. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 14 2006, 04:24 AM) [snapback]271031[/snapback]</div>
    There is a big difference between “innocent until proven guilty" and “Presumption of innocence.â€

Mr. Kennedy was not innocent when he was charged, he was presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If he were innocent, he wouldn't need to defend himself. The burden of proof is on the prosecution, not the defendant. In principle, the defense does not have to 'prove' anything. But, Mr. Kennedy, being a smart cookie, plead guilty.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocent_until_proven_guilty

Presumption of Innocence “- that only applies to conservatives�?? :blink:

“The point was that Libby and Rove had committed what would be considered, had it been done by someone else, and act of treason by the government.â€

http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&showtopi...ndpost&p=256829

Funny how you didn't write “Rove had presumably committed . . .â€
    So Mr. Kennedy should be "innocent until proven guilty," but Carl Rove is guilty before proven innocent????

Slightly hypocritical and politically biased, don't ya think? :rolleyes:

15. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jun 14 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]271235[/snapback]</div>
    First of all, don't put words in my mouth. While we have had a big Rove-fest here, I have never once claimed that Rove is guilty of a crime. Rove is "guilty" of many bad actions and slimy behavior, but he like anyone else is entitled to presumption of innocence.
    While you may be the law expert, Kennedy admitted the night of the accident that he took two (legal) medications. There are rumors, which a number of the righties here have alluded to, that he was drinking- but I have not seen any evidence of that other than hearsay.

16. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 14 2006, 01:01 PM) [snapback]271187[/snapback]</div>
    Just out of curiosity, have you ever heard of "steveinclearwater"?

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 14 2006, 11:28 AM) [snapback]271243[/snapback]</div>
    First of all, I didn't put words in your mouth . . . it is YOUR writings! Did you not click on the link I provided??? :huh:

Yes Y'all had a Rove-fest here on PriusChat, but you were more than willing to jump on the no-benefit-of-doubt bandwagon by writing “. . . Rove had committed what would be considered, had it been done by someone else, and act of treason by the government.” That absolutely IS saying he did the crime (guilty). Or is treason not a crime in your book? :blink:

I am not the law expert here on PriusChat . . . we leave that title for daniel with his “ . . . a person who enters undocumented has not broken any law. They cannot be charged with breaking any law. It is NOT against the laws of this country to be here undocumented.”
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&showtopi...ndpost&p=248848
    (We are still waiting for his explanation :rolleyes: , but that is another subject . . .
    maybe closely related, but still another subject. :lol: )

Righties rumors that Mr. Kennedy was drinking . . .
    Is this what you mean?:

Kennedy said he returned home from work and took a sleeping pill, Ambien, and Phenergan, a prescription anti-nausea drug that can cause drowsiness.
    The officer listed alcohol influence as a contributing factor in the crash and noted that Kennedy was "ability impaired," with red, watery eyes, slurred speech and unsteady balance, according to the accident report.
    Kennedy told the police officer he was "headed to the Capitol to make a vote," the report said.
    Kennedy crashed his green 1997 Ford Mustang convertible into a security barrier near the Capitol about 3 a.m.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/13/...in1706530.shtml

“ . . . the last vote of the night had been three hours earlier.” “ . . . officers ''noted an odor of alcohol and that [Kennedy] appeared to be intoxicated."
    http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles...h_near_capitol/

CBS NEWS (AP story) and BOSTON GLOBE, not Foxnews or some PriusChat righties musing.
    “ . . .but I have not seen any evidence of that other than hearsay.”
    Click on the links good buddy, click-on-the-links! :p Or remain ignorant. I don't care.

P.S. I wonder how the non-existent 3am vote went? :lol: I wonder if Mr. Kennedy would have voted yea or nay. ;)

18. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jun 14 2006, 08:07 PM) [snapback]271417[/snapback]</div>
    Man it just feels good to see a reply with all the ducks in a row, very well put! Im speechless... :) :) :)

19. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jun 14 2006, 08:07 PM) [snapback]271417[/snapback]</div>
    Just to indulge you, I did click on your links. And I have already heard all the stories about Kennedy- that was all anyone was talking about for several days after the accident here in RI, and a friend of mine is on his staff.
    And you did take my comments out of context- in that post, I was explaining to Karnac, who replied to my post expressing disgust with kirbinster's statement that "Its too bad that when the fat bastard Kennedy's plane was hit by lightening it did not go down. " (you have contempt for Kennedys- what's your opinion regarding that statement- funny?), that when Al Franken made a joke about "Karl (it's "Karl" with a "K" by the way- you are such a stickler for details ) Rove is going to be executed" what his rationale was- so the comment you quoted was my explanation of what Al Franken is saying. For the record, I would say if and when it is proven that Libby, Rove, or whoever intentionally outed a CIA operative, that would be treason. However, no one has (yet) been convicted of that.
    In the news stories you reference, one police officer claims that he believed that Kennedy had been drinking and was intoxicated. Well, my friend who totalled her car the morning after taking two Ambien was accused of drunkenness by the police officer at the scene. So excuse me if I don't consider that totally reliable.
    However, you don't seem to be interested in facts, only confrontation. I really don't feel like arguing over stupid details in a story that I don't think is that significant.
    So here, I'll just give you what you want now, and save us all some effort:

"Karl Rove is the greatest intellect and bravest patriot to serve this nation and should be made President. Not only that, he should be made President for life!"
    and
    "Patrick Kennedy is a slimy, despicable, liberal traitor who should be executed and dumped in the sewer."

OK- are you happy?

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 14 2006, 05:49 PM) [snapback]271437[/snapback]</div>
    Ooh, you say it is out of context. Not really your thoughts? . . . not your feeling on the subject? So, if I mention this post of yours from three days earlier, is that also “out of context�??

"It looks like good ol' Karl s finally going to be frog marched out of the White House."
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&showtopi...ndpost&p=255466

Face it. You have accused, tried, found guilty, and executed Karl Rove in your head . . . and that kind of treatment only applies to conservatives.

One police officer claims . . .

“ . . . officers ''noted an odor of alcohol and that [Kennedy] appeared to be intoxicated." Cannon was not on the scene, but received verbal reports from Capitol Police officers who had talked to the officers who were at the accident site.â€
    http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles...h_near_capitol/

Not quite the dismissive “one police officer claims . . . †you portend, is it. :rolleyes:

So, did your accused drunk driving, Ambien gorked friend receive a Breathalyzer, urinalysis or blood test? Did the test clear her of alcohol consumption charges? Too bad that Mr. Kennedy didn't have the same rights afforded to him . . . isn't it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't go off the deep end. I neither believe Karl Rove is the greatest intellect or Patrick Kennedy is a slimy. I just believe you are so politically biased that you are blind to the truth.

So much for truthout.org, huh?
    http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/051306W.shtml

So, larkinmj . . . just who is doing the credibility frog marching now?
    Of course you would rather not argue over stupid details . . . they tend to jump up and bite politically biased people in the nice person. So, on that account . . . you are correct it is Karl with a “K.†;)