1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shuddering on acceleration

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by matthis, Oct 12, 2009.

1. matthis

matthis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From cold my Gen1 drives fine, after about 15 minutes you can start to feel it vibrating upon accelerating which gets worse as it continues to warm up. When stopped in neutral the engine bay seems to vibrate as if struggling some what. Could this be a problem with the transaxle?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds more like an ICE problem. A transaxle problem is found by rolling down a hill with the engine off.

Bob Wilson

3. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sounds like you need some fuel injector cleaner, maybe throttle body cleaner as well. Seems like you have a tremendous amount of carbon buildup in the engine. Try some Duralube as well. It should help. Sounds like as your engine is heating up, the carbon is detonating the fuel before the spark has had a change to ignite it. Get this done soon, as too much detonation can cause severe damage to your engine. A simple $20.00 fluid can save thousands in repairs. Please keep us posted.

4. matthis

matthis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just rolled it down the hill in 'D' with the engine off and it felt fine, I'll try some cleaner tomorrow.
    thanks for the replies!

5. matthis

matthis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my 04 started acting like that when the ignition coil was failing. if the gen I's are anything like my Gen II... then you just about have to unplug the spark plugs or ignition coils before it throws codes ( just fyi)....

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Might be an ignition coil having a holiday.

9. matthis

matthis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    cleaned the throttle body, and added injecter cleaner to the fuel. There was an instant improvement from cleaning the throttle body but the problem is still there although less extreme. The problem is now most noticable when stopped in P or D while the HV battery is charging. I'll move on to the ignition coils next!

10. matthis

matthis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok so me and a mechanic friend got to the bottom of this. Coils/plugs 1 and 2 where drenched in water. After running some water down the windscreen it was found that the water was leaking between the rubber seal and the plastic sill it connects to which are directly below the wipers, the water collects at a small point of the plastic which extrudes downwards where it drips onto coils 1 and 2. We applied sealant between the rubber, the plastic and the metal frame they both sit on to stop the water from dripping here. Strangly enough he had replaced the plugs in June and said there had been no sign of moisture then.

After cleaning out the coil packs and reconnecting them everything seems fine.
    Thanks for you help with this. much appreciated!!

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is a throttle position sensor, a pair of dual-pots. The NHW11 is notorious for having 'dirty wipers' in the wiper-based, position sensors and this can cause all sorts of grief.

Good Prius friend Hobbit posted a web page on opening one and cleaning. I don't have the URL handy but someone may be able to point you to the page.

Removing and cleaning the throttle body and position encoder is not that hard ... with a Dremil tool, alcohol swabs and a little JB Weld ... probably a 2-4 hour job and a lot cheaper than a replacement throttle body.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

12. matthis

matthis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After cleaning out the coils theres still some problems with the car so i want to replace coils 1 and 2, the existing ones are 'Denso 90919 02229' but I haven't been able to source these. As far as i can gather the engine in the NHW10 and NHW11 is 1NNZ-FXE. Do yo think I could order coils for a NHW11 and use them for my NHW10?

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They should be identical to the:

• Echo
    • Scion, 1.5L series
    • NHW11
    Does the symptom follow the coils (aka., swap with 3 and 4?)

Bob Wilson