1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shuttering 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Michael Petrone, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Michael Petrone

Michael Petrone New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good day to all,
    Love this site!!!! And my Prius..
    Here is the problem I am having, I hope someone can help. Sorry I am new to the site and was not sure how to search for my exact problem....
    Anyway, my Prius has about 156k on it and it's very cold where I live in Rochester, NY right now with a lot of snow on the roads.....what happens is (it my be the traction control system, not sure) the car starts to shutter while I am driving almost like it is going to stall...but when I push down on the accelerator it goes away and then when I slow down it tends to do the same again. And my engine light is on as well on the panel. For a time it went away and the light went off. But then today it came on again. I called the local dealer and they told me they need to read the computer to see what the issue is....

Has anyone had this same issue or can give me an idea of what the problem may be???

Thanks for the help Mike

2. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There's a lot of things it could be.
    How many miles on your spark plugs and PCV valve? If they're original you're about 36,000 miles overdue.
    Has your transaxle ATF fluid ever been changed. If it's the original, you're about 56,000 miles overdue.
    Have you checked your oil lately?
    Also, could be dirty throttle body or injectors.

Check out this link. If you haven't done a lot of these 100k maintenance items, that could be it.

100K maint - 1

3. Michael Petrone

Michael Petrone New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you sooo much....yes I had the sparks changed......but will check all the other things....I appreciate.....once I check all those I will check back and let you know if this solved the issue....