1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SICKO !!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by B Rad, Jul 9, 2007.

1. B Rad

B Rad New Member

Another thread on who plans to see Sicko kind of went off on a discussion of Health Care. That's good, but lets only get opions here on how you liked the movie and do you think Prius owners should see it !!!!!
    I saw it in a mostly empty theater (maybe 20 people) last Sunday afternoon. Loved the movie but came away a little depressed at how we the people have lost control of our Government. The best part of the movie was when our Village Idiot President was praising a lady who held down 3 jobs in order to survive and pay her health care costs. He just doesn't get it, and sadly he is not alone !!!!!!!

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Jul 9 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]475556[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I along with the clear and overwhelming majority of Americans did not see it.

If you are going to opine about things, let me join in - you could start by answers some or all my questions earlier in this post - and i am interested in why you think we have lost control of our government - as though you expect the govt to provide health care for you - what other things do you think our govt should provide for you - free drinking water, newpapers, free internet, free transportation, free food, free electricity, free music, free telephony, ...?

3. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 9 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]475572[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think any of it should be "FREE" but I would put health care right up there with education as something that should be funded by the government for the betterment of our society. Now I assume you think we should turn everything over to the private sector. Like maybe toll roads or speacial lanes for the rich so they don't have to pole along behide the common man. Or how about the best education going only to those who happen to be born to rich parent's ( Oh Yeah, I forgot, the Surprem Court just ruled that is OK.) And how about privite Cops and Firemen, we could save a bundle if we only protect the rich. And then after everyone gets use to this private is better crap, we can levee a high pole tax to keep all those damn poor people from voting !!!! Sounds pretty good, doesn't it....

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 9 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]475572[/snapback]</div>
    I, along with the clear and overwhelming majority of Americans, do not watch Fox News.

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jul 9 2007, 12:08 PM) [snapback]475705[/snapback]</div>
    I, along with the clear and overwhelming majority of Americans, HAVE seen the film and am therefore qualified to comment. ESPECIALLY since the OP requested responses from those who have seen the movie, I have the qualifications to make an informed response, not a 'talking points' put down of someone's life's work with nothing accurate to say.

6. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jul 9 2007, 02:23 PM) [snapback]475750[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure whether to think that you were being tongue in cheek? I'm certain that you don't really believe that the "overwhelming majority" of Americans have seen the film. OTOH, what is your informed response? To the OP -- the overwhelming majority of folks who frequent internet forums really don't like threads that are "only for these people".

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Jul 9 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]475602[/snapback]</div>
    There are some things the private sector cannot do like provide for national security - here you need a combination of private and public sectors.

Toll roads - yes - contract it out like correctional institutions and i even like school choice where public and private compete -- competition is the key.

Police and Fire -- here the private sector already plays a significant role - most regions have volunteer fire deptartments that augment public sector employees - with police - i believe this should be a public sector job augmented like it is already with private sector and volunteers.

Special lanes - i dont like them in any way shape or form - rich or poor - and your point is well taken - tolls on roads hurt the poor more than the rich since they are not progressive - so i would get rid of them totally.

I am pretty much in agreement with the founding fathers about the role of govt in our lives - as little as possible.

back to health care - there is NO FREE health care. here the private sector would be much better to handle this most important facit in all our lives not the govt. here are some of my to do's:

1. make medical malpractice no fault - this will save tens of billions of $'s - money that could be used to help insure the uninsured - and make sure you understand that a good % of the uninsured are voluntarliy uninsured.
    2. change the tax code to benefit the individual instead of the employer in the purchase of health insurance.
    3. drop silly laws that prevent companies from selling policies past state borders - open the spigot of competition - where people are not forced to buy insurance for issues they do not face or are forced to pay for mandates.

simple easy changes that could possibly create significant positive change.

one thing for sure - socialized medicine does not work anywhere.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jul 9 2007, 05:23 PM) [snapback]475750[/snapback]</div>
    tell me, how many americans do you mean when you refer to "overwhelming majority of americans HAVE seen the film" - according to the box office statd it pulled in less than $3.5 million. Or are you referring to Transformers that outsold it by over 50:1 -- i saw that one and it was one terrific film -- Spielberg did it again.

Maybe they will force it upon students next year :lol: Hows its playing in Cuba :blink: How about Canada - perhaps it will stop those pesky Canadians from migrating south for their health care :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jul 9 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]475705[/snapback]</div>
    You should check out the rating of Fox News bro - here is an article for your perusal:

http://www.journalism.org/node/507

looks like Fox has over 50% of the audience - which is possibly a majority.

8. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 10 2007, 07:05 AM) [snapback]476045[/snapback]</div>
    1.47 million people watched Fox according to that article. There are 301,000,000 people in this country. I would not consider 0.5% to be a majority no matter WHAT definition you use.