1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side air bags

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gbajor, Dec 13, 2004.

1. gbajor

gbajor New Member

[font=Arial:270c3f55b1] [/font:270c3f55b1]I have a 05 Prius with AI / Package #5. The package supposed to come with Driver & Passenger side airbags. In the manual the location of the side airbags is shown at the outside edge of the back of front seats. I thoroughly inspected the front seat backs and except a sewn in cloth label saying “side airbagâ€, neither the look nor the touch of the seat backs show any sign that there are air bags there.

Did anybody find the side airbags? If yes, how can I verify that my car really has side air bags?

George

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If it has the cloth label on the seat, they're in there. They would pop put through the seams in the side of the seat where the tag is.

You can also see the SRS label stamped in the A and C pillars for the side curtain airbags.

There are really two side airbags. The ones in the front seats where the tags are protect the Driver and Front Passenger Torsos.

The ones in the trim above the doors protect everyones heads (Side Curtains).

As an aside, if you decide to put in seat covers or anything else that might cover the outside of the front seats where the airbags emerge, it's important to make sure you don't block the airbags.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The good thing is that it's integrated nicely into the seat rather than having ugly plastic covers. You should be able to feel something hard underneath the material roughly where your torso might be. I haven't felt the seats on the Prius but on the Camry, I did feel the box containing the airbags.