1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side and rearview mirrow removal options?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by juliolopezgonzalez, Mar 8, 2011.

1. juliolopezgonzalez

juliolopezgonzalez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, new to the forum and after some serious searching I have not found a thread that would address this need: removal of both outside mirrors as well as the inside rearview mirror and replace them with a single, maybe double cameras installed on top of the dash.

The reason for the outside mirrors removal is we are on our second set, getting scraped against the garage all the time plus since we do a lot of freeway driving where cx is more important, might get better mpgs :). The reason for the interior one removal is that I am too tall to look thru the glass and it feels that is always in the way, windshiled is too slanted. Plus a rear mounted camera would have a better range of vision than the rearview mirror, eliminating blind spots, safer driving.

So basically 2 cameras that would mount where current L and R mirrors are plus a rear view camera on the license plate, all hooked up to either one screen that handles several cameras or just 3 cameras...

All suggestions will be considered. Thanks for looking

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would make sure that this is a legal mod before I sunk a bunch of bucks into it.
    Are you sure your parking in the garage, and not a closet????:eek:

Also from CA Motor Vehicle website...

V C Section 26709 Mirrors

Mirrors

26709. (a) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.
    Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.
    (b) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left-and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle:
    (1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear.
    (2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon obstructs the driver's view to the rear.
    (3) A bus or trolley coach.
    (c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not apply to a passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver's view consists of passengers.

Amended Ch. 74, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

I don't think it would be legal!!:eek:

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius