1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side dash vents blowing even when "floor only" selected

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PA, Dec 27, 2006.

1. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I have noticed that the side dash vents have significant airflow even when the vent selector is on other settings such as "floor only" or "windshield". I'm talking about the driver's left dash vent, and the passenger's right dash vent (not the small circular ones for the side windows). The airflow seems to be about equivalent or maybe a little less than when set on a combo setting such as dash/floor.

So, is this normal? I realize you can close the vents manually with the little slider knobs, but if you select "floor only" I would think you shouldn't have to do that.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My 2004 does not do this. If the dash vents are not selected I get no significant air flow from them.

3. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Dec 27 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]367225[/snapback]</div>
    Every car I've had is like this, the side vents operate no matter what mode you're in, defrost or floor. You have to manually shut them.

On my 1970 VW Type III Squareback, there was no forced air fan, if you were cold, you had to drive faster to turn the engine cooling fan faster to get more heat! Fortunately the Type III had no shortage of hot air, and if you weren't careful, the heat coming out of the floor vent by your left leg could really hurt as it was so hot! There were little controls on the side in front of each door to shut the floor vents and direct all the hot air to the windshield for defrosting. Ah those were the days.

Dave

4. Porridge

Porridge New Member

I would check the manual but from memory, the setting with the arrow pointing down does not mean floor only, it means entire cabin. I know, sounds crazy.

5. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Porridge @ Dec 27 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]367303[/snapback]</div>
    Hot damn. As crazy as it sounds, you're absolutely right. There it is on page 289 of my manual. "Floor" means "mainly floor", not "only floor". As a matter of fact, the side dash vents appear to blow on all settings, although clearly not at the same strength.

Maybe it's time I read that manual again!

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Dec 27 2006, 10:10 AM) [snapback]367225[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. It seems to be normal for all Toyotas. My Prius, former 91 Camry and I believe my mom 96's Camry does this too. In the past, Consumer Reports would point this out in Toyota reviews and criticize them on this saying it's a primitive touch that you have to close the side vents yourself.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I sometimes set the vents on "Floor and windshield" and I get no discernable air flow from the dash vents.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 29 2006, 05:18 PM) [snapback]368422[/snapback]</div>
    Try setting it to floor and then opening both side vents fully via the thumbwheels.

9. timcarlos

timcarlos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My folks have a Toyota van and we've had three Hondas and now the Prius, all of them deliver air from the outermost vents when floor only is selected. However, you will notice that no air is delivered from the centermost vents in that mode.

I suppose there could be multiple reasons for this configuration; during cold winter areas, having some heat aimed at the side windows could keep them from sweating or reduce the sense of cold coming from the thin glass; some might like warm air blowing on their face after being out in the winter wind during a fill-up (gotta get that nose warmed quick).

As a side note, both of my Porsches allowed me to deliver hot air to the floor, have flow from the side vents which was user-selectable as either heated air or fresh outside air.

Just an observation.

Tim

10. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimCarlos @ Dec 29 2006, 10:39 PM) [snapback]368473[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I miss the fresh outside air lever that my 1990 Civic had for the left dash vent. It was useful on those long late-night drives to blow some cold air on your face to keep awake but not freeze the passengers. That and the change holder. But then again, the cup holder was in the back seat so you can't have it all.

I don't mind the floor & side dash vent configuration, it actually helps to have the one vent warming my hand(s) without having them all on and drying out my contacts. And if I don't want it, I can shut it off.