1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side marker Euro lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by subarutoo, Mar 23, 2006.

1. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Has anybody fitted the side marker turn signal repeaters as fitted to the Euro and Asian market cars? My Subaru has them, and I'm kind of used to them. Sigma has them for $89, a little pricy, but I think it includes some kind of harness. They go just below the chrome "Hybrid" on the front fender. I wonder how hard it would be to route the wires from the front signals to the side lights. Anybody done this on a US car?

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I bought the kit from Sigma. Very complete, including bulbs, gaskets, harness. I have not put them on yet. I am wary of the cutting process on the thin fender sheet metal. I haven't decided whether a nibbler or dremel would do the job best. When I've installed them, I'll have photos, but this may not be for months!

Just tap into the turn signals, using a grommet wherever you pass through metal or sharp plastic, both to protect from abrasion and water intrusion.

I prefer solder/heat shrink and connectorization for the turn signal tap, rather than crimp taps, so I may be buying some Toyota connectors for that part of the job.

3. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My main concern was how to route the wires. Do you need to remove the inner fender liner? or is there way to fish the wires thru from the engine compartment? I had some freeway debris damage which required a new bumper and fender liner, but I wasn't able to see it while at the body shop. That would have probably been the time to have it done.

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I took a quick look, and it appears the black plastic inner fender liner must come out. It also looks pretty easy, but I am many weeks away (maybe summer!). It is good that it will be behind the liner-- protected from debris and direct water exposure.

I haven't checked out the wiring to tie into, but I'll look for a handy connector, and wire a harness with male/female matching connectors, making it easily removable.

5. Madeleine

Madeleine Student of Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Has anyone done the side marker install yet?

I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has done this install of the Sigma Side Marker lights.

If I understand it right, there is no need to drill through the car body because under that "synergy" emblem there is already a drilled hole.

I should warn you, dear reader, that I am NOT in the least clued-in re: auto wiring etc... but if this really isn't a complicated nightmare, a friend who is a BMW mechanic and electrical guru will help me out. I just don't want to sign him up for something that requires funky or endless "kinda sorta works" brainstorm sessions.

My naive hope is that its a matter of attaching the unit through the hole under that emblem, and running a wire that connects to the appropriate turn signal so that this new light goes on at the same time the standard US front corner/bumper turn signal turns on.

Am I kidding myself it will work well and be a good idea? More importantly, will anyone see this post because the thread was started so long ago???

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A