1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side Marker Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bugssmith, Jul 2, 2005.

1. bugssmith

bugssmith Junior Member

In 6 months, I am trasfering to England. (And I'm taking the Prius with me!)

The UK sells the Prius, but with some modifications. (Obviously, the steering wheel will be on the other side.) One of the things that I need that will make the car "legal" are side marker lights. (see Pic.)

Does anyone know where I can get a set? Are they listed in the service manual?

[Broken External Image]:http://toyota.co.uk/prius2003/sViewing/gal_imgs/i800/11.jpg

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Someone at the last meet said you can get the Scion xB side markers lights and then cut/smooth/paint a hole, then hook up the light wiring - yourself.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    or do what naterprius did and install the JDM mirrors with indicators.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You are also going to have to replace the headlights. Otherwise, you will be blinding all oncoming traffic while driving on the left side of the road.

5. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't forget a rear fog light(s)! I have a thread about them in the international section. Never did install any though...

6. bugssmith

bugssmith Junior Member

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I found a couple of resources that sell side marker lights for the Scion, but they look like they require a wiring harness. I was also looking at the low-profile lights that they use for motorcycle farings. It mounts flush and only requires a 1/4" hole for the wires. Still not sure which way to go.

As for the headlights, I knew about that one. A dealership in England said that they would just pull the US spec bulbs out and put the Brit spec ones in. Piece of cake.

As for the rear fog light....not too sure on that one. I know that when I was there in '92 we needed one, but all of the pictures I see of brittish Prius' do not have one installed.

I wonder how difficult it would be to have the forward fog lights installed? (Mine didn't come with them.)

Thanks again.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They do have it installed. They housing looks almost exactly like ours except that theirs is a little redder while ours is clearer.

8. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bugssmith\";p=\"104130)</div>
    The front headlights will need the whole housing changed, not just the bulb. The rear-fog light will also require this, perhaps for both sides, I don't know if the UK madates one or two rear fogs. The front fogs, should be too hard to install. Good Luck! Importing a modern car is a "Roya£ pain in the a$$!!"

9. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why don't you just sell the Prius and buy a properly equiped one there?

10. bugssmith

bugssmith Junior Member

Why don't I just sell and get a new one over there?

I thought about it, however:

1. My current Prius is 4 months old.
    2. It's a package #5. Cost about $26K-ish.
    3. Base model Prius in England costs 17,995 pounds. (Equivalent to $33,650.65.

That's why.

Spend $33, 650 for new, or $250 to convert. Hmmmmmm.....

11. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bugssmith\";p=\"104239)</div>
    If that's all it costs to convert your Prius to UK specs, I'll buy you a pint! :mrgreen:

12. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bugssmith\";p=\"104239)</div>
    I surmise it will cost you at least ten times that. By the way, did you factor in the cost of shipping the car, import duties and other taxes as well as the cost of certifying that it meets EU specifications?

13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It could be $6 or $7k and he'd still come out ahead.

I personally wouldn't go through all the trouble, but if you're looking at it from a dollars and sense (yes, spelled that way on purpose) standpoint, importing it is a good decision.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Danny,

I don't know how long bugssmith intends to reside in the UK. If he (or she) intends to come back to the US with the car, the cost of shipping it back must to be factored in. If the move to Great Britain is permanent, then the resale value of a left-hand drive car in a land of right-hand drive cars is to be considered in the equation. All that has to be figured even before taking into account whether the US warranty will be honored over there and if US specific parts are readily available, should the car need repairs.

15. cahaverl

cahaverl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know the side mirror signals are cool, but I ordered some Hella LED side markers from Germany that I've been meaning to install. Naturally, you need to make holes in the fenders ;^).

Here's a link (I got the 2PS 008 138-821):
    Hella SML

16. bugssmith

bugssmith Junior Member

Wow,
    I really didn't expect this kind of response from a simple "Side Marker Light" question. Thanks for caring, guys. Really.

To clarify a few things. I am an Aircraft Hydraulics Systems Mechanic in the US Air Force. I am being transferred to England this winter. The government is covering the bill to ship my Prius overseas. I am only on a three year controlled tour, so I am bringing the car back to the US. (Once again, for free.)

I was stationed in England before, back in 1992. I brought my Nissan Pickup with me. All it required was some fog lights and new headlights. I think it cost about $100 to convert.

The (thorough) MOT inspection is only required for vehicles that are older than 3 years old. For the car to conform to brit specs it requires a fog light in the rear (questionable), side turn signals, and headlights that dip to the left (instead of right). As for emissions...it's a Prius. Bring it on!

I also talked to Toyota. Since I am in the military, my warranty will still be good. It will be retroactive, but it will still be good. (I pay for the service and then make a claim with toyota. They reimburse.)

Once again, thanks for all the help guys. You'll be hearing updates on the situation.

George R. Smith, TSgt, USAF
    McGuire AFB, NJ

17. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bugssmith\";p=\"104130)</div>
    The US Prius has a full-width tail-light in its rear light assembly. European ones have this space split in two - the inner half has the fog light, the outer the tail light.
    They're not legally required.

Another subtle distinction you may note in your photo is that we don't have the orange and red side reflectors built into our light assemblies. You can keep yours in though.

18. bugssmith

bugssmith Junior Member

Let me know how difficult they are to install and maybe a pic. I looked at the link, I kinda like the arrow shaped one.

Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cahaverl\";p=\"104429)</div>