1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side Mirrors Pushed - Rude, Mean or Tight Parking?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by a priori, Apr 27, 2008.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK -- Maybe I'm a bit too sensitive. Still, I have to wonder if there is something going on out there.

This weekend I had first the passenger's side mirror then the driver's side mirror pushed to the point where they "popped" out of place. Sure, this happens on occasion, but how often does it happen to you.

This happened in two different parking lots -- in two different towns, and in just two days.

My reaction: How could people be so rude and inconsiderate? You can't do this without feeling it happen, so why not just "pop" the mirror back into place?

Here's what I'm wondering: Are people just so rude or inconsiderate that they don't expect there is any responsibility to put things back in place, or is this becoming so common place (because of tight parking spaces) that people figure everyone should just fix their own, or would people actually decide it is something to do to another car (maybe even a pretentious Prius that gets really high MPGs)?

Comments? (No need to post advice about getting a life or letting go of such petty concerns -- unless, of course, it makes you feel better!)

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking that these were not accidents. That they were deliberate. So it's not even rudeness we're talking about. More like mild vandalism.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You'll have to tell us if the parking was tight or not. If it was tight, that might be a reason for your mirrors being left ajar.

To me, "rude" or "mean" would be if someone kicked in the door of your car or used a key to scratch the paint finish. I would not characterize a mirror that was pushed in but not permanently defaced, in the same light.

4. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You're right. I've set this question up with a bit of an assumption that the parking was tight in both lots. Truly, though, in one lot there was plenty of room to move between cars.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Park in the middle of the space in future and get a life and get over it, let it go it's petty.
    That feels better, thank you.

6. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. I think every car I owned has had his happen in parking lots. people walking in between cars and hit the mirror with their bodies pushing the mirrors back. They are not picking on the Prius. I too am guilty of this but I push the mirror back in place. Next time you get to your car and your mirrors are pushed in, smash the windows of all the cars around you.:mad: It will make you feel better. :p

7. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thats one of the nice things about handicapped parking. I get a bigger space and am not so prone to that foolishness.

But regardless, I would never do damage to anothers car like that and think those who do should be dealt with severely.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please note that it does no harm to the car to push the mirrors back. It is infact a good idea to pull the drivers side mirror back if you park on the side of the road to prevent damage from passing cars.

9. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I understand the rudeness of someone messing with the mirrors, but you have to be thankful that you didn't park next to someone and they swing their door open and hit your car, while you are in your car no less. A mirror can be popped back into place, but a ding and paint chip require a little more attention.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I used to drive an old, rusty Jeep C-J5. It was great for those tight parking spaces: my doors were only a quarter of and inch thick, and there wasn't anything an adjacent parker could do that wouldn't be worse for their car than mine. I could park with impunity!

Tom

11. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ah! I've seen the evidence of this. Whether it is the clear coat or the overall paint job, I've had many, many scratches and dings in this car, and they don't seem justified. I know dings happen in a parking lot -- there isn't too much you can do about it. When young children open big doors, there are going to be dings!

I think what really bothers me is just the rudeness of someone who knowingly leaves those pushed-forward mirrors as they are. They haven't done any damage, but it could result in damage if they don't make the fix. The driver's side one is an easy fix when you are in the car, but the passenger-side one is not. I have to stop the car, pull to the side of the road and then crawl across the seat to fix it. Really, folks, it doesn't take much effort to pop the mirror back into place after you've knocked it around!

12. blazer_5154

blazer_5154 Heh, you said "member"

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

More often than not this is caused by someone carrying a large bag or knapsack. When this theoretical person walks between cars in a parking lot they kind of turn sideways to shimmy between cars if parking is tight and usually their bag is the culprit. Most people don't even notice when this happens and simply continue on their way. Don't take it personally, I'm sure no one did it to be mischievous.

13. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's a fair explanation. It was just odd to have it happen twice in succession -- as if I was being stalked by the great Prius mirror-pusher.

14. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rumor has it that Bigfoot hates the Prius. Keep an eye out.:bowl:

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I park in a tight slot I often fold my own mirrors in and
    save those around me the bother. You'd really have to try and
    evaluate whether someone did it as a courtesy to you before
    trying to maneuver next to your car, or if someone just whacked
    it either with themselves, backpacks, or another car. They
    fold for a reason, y'know, and if you don't want other people
    doing it for you then it might be prudent to take care of
    minimizing your own footprint in advance.
    _H*

16. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    True enough. My situation was slightly different in that the mirrors were not folded in but pushed out.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found one of my wiper arms up once. No idea why. I figured it was a prank cause it was back when I was in school.

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ??? I did not know that it was possible to move the mirror body "out", or towards the front of the car.

Since you also complained about having door dings - which is really unfortunate for such a new car - maybe the solution to both problems is to park further out, thus reducing the chance that inconsiderate drivers will park near your car.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i actually seen this happen to my Pri once and the reason why... because 60% of american adult are obese and this lady was morbidly so. she simply could not fit between the cars without touching both cars.

she even turned sideways (dont know why because she was HUGE on all sides...) and still brushed up against my car.

i was gonna say something to her, but at probably close to 350 lbs, i figured she had enough problems already

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :pound::pound::pound: