1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side Moldings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kimharm, Apr 6, 2006.

1. kimharm

kimharm New Member

How many of you have put door sid moldings on your Prius? Has it affected the mileage? Where did you get them and did they match the car color correctly?

2. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

I got mine from Metro Toyota www.metrotoyotapartsnow.com. [stop]
    Milage effect is mute. [stop]
    Installation easy. [stop]
    Look great. [stop]
    Color match. [stop]

clear ;)

3. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

color match perfect
    got it from ??/ somewhere mentioned on this forum
    no effect on milage
    love them

4. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Apr 6 2006, 08:50 PM) [snapback]236072[/snapback]</div>

Ditto.

Did you REALLY ask if it affected mileage?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. samoan_ridah

samoan_ridah New Member

Yes, I was hesitant to purchase as well due to potential MPG decrease.

6. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Also got mine from Metro. They are perfect color, and took my body shop around 30 minutes to install. Complements from everyone, it does make the car look more substantial...and now I am less afraid of parking lots!

MPG decrease? Don't see how, they are contoured and barely stick out from the door (maybe 1/2 inch).

Would recommend to anyone!

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samoan_ridah @ Apr 6 2006, 11:05 PM) [snapback]236227[/snapback]</div>
    Come on, now. You guys are kidding us!? Mileage decrease from side moldings???? Yikes!

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do they attach?
    _H*

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Apr 6 2006, 11:47 PM) [snapback]236246[/snapback]</div>
    Double-sided foam tape like the rest of the emblems on the car.

10. samoan_ridah

samoan_ridah New Member

Added weight?

11. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samoan_ridah @ Apr 6 2006, 11:50 PM) [snapback]236248[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, they weigh just about as much as lunch. I make sure not to eat before I drive...ha ha!

12. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Here's another vote for www.metrotoyotapartsnow.com

I ordered from them over a year back - prompt shipment - fair price (part of a "group buy" at that time) - perfect color match.

My "Dealer affiliated" body shop installed them in about 30 minutes free of charge per the diagram and instructions included in the package.

Here's a photo - not MY Prius, but looks just like this:

[attachmentid=2863]

13. gostozo

gostozo New Member

Charles Suitt,

..i guess you did it yourself. Was there any worries lining the molding up straight and even.

...and also worse case scenario, what if i need to remove ...i wonder if it will pull up the paint....hmmm

14. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: Hi gostozo...

QUOTE my previous post: "My "Dealer affiliated" body shop installed them in about 30 minutes free of charge."

I didn't install them myself. Previous commentary on the forum indicated that the adhesive on the mounting strip was "very agressive" meaning that when it touched the body panel, IT WAS THERE TO STAY! I much preferred to let the body shop do it and would have paid a reasonable fee for the service - to get it straight and right.

15. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Apr 7 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]236296[/snapback]</div>

Oh my gosh!... What if you add the side molding AND eat lunch!? That doubles the weight!

16. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gostozo @ Apr 8 2006, 06:44 AM) [snapback]236702[/snapback]</div>
    =====================================================================

I did mine myself. The door guards come with adhesive on the back and 4 little vials of adhesive that you apply to the car. It smelled like Super Glue and when it’s on, it’s on. You won’t be moving it. But don’t panic, you can do it. I placed masking tape at the top edge of the indentation that runs along the bottom of the doors, because it is not parallel to the bottom of the car or the ground and I wanted the protectors to be parallel to the indentation.

Once I decided where (vertically) I wanted to place them, I measured from the grove masking tape up to the position that I would be installing the top of the guards and placed another strip of masking tape there. You can use the measurement of 13 ½ inches from the bottom of the car in the rear as a rule of thumb for placement if you want.

Assuming that you placed the lower masking tape correctly on the top edge of the indentation, you can then use a thin piece of wood (or whatever you have cut to the correct length) and go along the tape at different intervals and make sure that they are parallel. They will not be. The top masking tape will need to be adjusted along the way. It doesn’t need to be perfect in the middle, because it is mostly used as a guide for placing the Super Glue on. It does need to be correct at each end because that is your guide for the door protectors. They will not bend; therefore, will be straight from one end to the other.

Once you have this done, place your door guard at the correct position and mark where the bullet end stops with a small piece of tape. This is so that when you apply the glue, you can apply the glue on in a bullet fashion when you get to the bullet end and there will be not be any glue that is not covered by the door guards. The instructions say that the glue will dull the paint. I believe them because I’m convinced by the smell that the glue is Super Glue.

The glue comes in little crushable vials with an applicator on the end and is very easy to use and apply. Using this method and following the instructions will give you a perfect installation.

I know that this seems like a lot of work and maybe a little scary, :eek: but it is actually very simple.

The reason that I did it this way is because I am a …… PERFECTIONIST, ….. (That’s another word for Engineer) and pay extreme attention to detail. In reality, if you’re a little off, it’s not even noticeable. Anyone with patience can do a better than professional job. I generally don’t allow anyone to install anything on my car because I hate paying hard earned money for sloppy work.

No need to wish you good luck because you won’t need it. ;)

You will feel pride in doing it yourself. When people say, “I see you had door guards installedâ€. You can say, “I put them on myselfâ€. There response, “Wow†they look great! :D :D :D

EDIT: OK, I'm wrong. It's not Super Glue, it's a smelly chemical to help the adhesive adhere.

17. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Apr 8 2006, 11:20 AM) [snapback]236836[/snapback]</div>
    Couldn't agree more. For example, I wanted to minimize the little gap between the front and rear doors. The "professional" applied ones leave 1/2 inch or even more sometimes. And they might not be consistent between left and right sides. I also did my own mudflaps and even the clear-bra. Gee, I'm an Engineer too.... I wonder if there's a correlation here?!?

[attachmentid=2877]

18. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Apr 8 2006, 06:25 PM) [snapback]236922[/snapback]</div>

Indubitably my friend Indubitably.

19. gostozo

gostozo New Member

...thanx for the replies on "doing it yourself".
    ...i will study the method that grasshopper used and probably put the bumper gaurds on myself..

20. tharwood

tharwood New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gostozo @ Apr 11 2006, 07:57 AM) [snapback]237972[/snapback]</div>

Has anyone tried black moldings on the Driftwood Pearl? I'm thinking the black accent on the gold/tan/brown whatever would look attractive. Thoughts?