1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side Signal Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheParadox66b, Jun 15, 2006.

1. I did a search and really didn't find a definite answer...

has anyone installed the side signal mirrors themself?

as seen Here

http://www.sigmaauto.com/jdm/prius/prius0405.php

Was it easy? step by step?

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Me. I can kind of give you a step by step, but the mirrors come with instructions in Japanese, but the pics are very, very good. The only hard part is where to tap into the wires. in the car (easy once you know where).

The other hard part is running wires through the doors. You have to follow the exisiting wiring route in order to avoid interference with the window. It's tedious, but not difficult from a technical perspective.

Nate

3. car

car New Member

I did this with a friend and it wasn't too much trouble. The only issue has been that I haven't been able to get either mirror to fold up properly. Sigma was not very helpful when I mentioned it to them. However the signals and the mirrors work and look great.

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did you get the auto-fold kit? Mine just fold manually.

Nate

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Jun 15 2006, 08:46 PM) [snapback]272012[/snapback]</div>
    Heck with the signals! I want auto-fold!

6. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(car @ Jun 15 2006, 09:36 PM) [snapback]271944[/snapback]</div>
    can you show me some pics...

what do you mean they don't fold up properly? like, snap in place?

7. car

car New Member

They are not the autofold (I don't think anyone makes those for the Prius). The passenger one folds in and snaps in place normally (as in when you fold a side mirror in for a tight parking space), but its final folded-in position is a millimeter or two too close to the car and it hits the window. On the driver side it folds in but not completely parallel with the car and never snaps into a final position. The reality is I rarely if ever need to fold in the mirrors, but it's still annoying that they don't work right.

8. Clar

Clar Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(car @ Jun 16 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]272504[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]

http://toyota.jp/prius/dop/function/

9. car

car New Member

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    THAT's what I'm looking for!

11. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sigma might be able to import the folding mirrors.

Seems like this is slowly going off topic.

I remember seeing install instruction or at least some pictures somewhere. Don't know if it was here or on a different site but I do remember seeing them. I just cant find them now. :(

12. ...well, thanks all, that folding mirror is pretty neat, but i wonder when it would be useful? so i get the feeling its not too hard?

...how do you guys like the signal mirrors?

13. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The signal mirrors are by far my favorite mod. Absolutely the best mod ever. They really make a difference at night; NOBODY can claim they didn't see the signal.

Nate

14. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Jun 27 2006, 11:32 PM) [snapback]277857[/snapback]</div>

DO you have any pictures of the install or what they look like, where did you buy them and how much ?

15. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I would love to get those power folding mirrors! That's the reason I'm doing the signal mirror upgrade now. If I had the power folding mirrors maybe I'd still have a passenger side mirror...

16. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 2 2006, 05:35 AM) [snapback]326790[/snapback]</div>
    Or, instead of breaking just a mirror off, you would've scraped your bumper or side body-panels.. Some ways, just the mirror was a blessing. :)

They use the folding mirrors in Japan for parking because of the automated garages (your car on a vertical rotating loader that you thought only existed in newsreels of the 1930s), and tightly packed spaces.

Friend of mine hangs "markers" from the ceiling in his garage to help his wife line up when parking, for instance ...

17. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Oct 6 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]329149[/snapback]</div>
    That's true. Actually I doubt it would have been that bad though. I just misjudged the distance I had between the car and the wall. I wasn't so far off that I would have scraped the side!

Anyhow, my mirrors should be arriving either today or Monday (damn that no weekend delivery!). If it arrives today that would be great, as I could do the work this weekend, but it's not likely.

I'll post pics in my mod thread once they arrive.

18. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I once sent inquery to SigmaAuto about the Auto-fold side mirrors.
    The cost of the mirrors (new ones) plus the two motors needed are very high. (>$1000).
    Not to mention the installation process would be much harder than simple signal mirrors.
    I gave up on that idea. Also, SigmaAuto discouraged me from pursuing that, I remember.
    They can import it for you, but it would cost you $$$$$$$$$. :(