1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side signaling mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Syclone, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    About 6 -7 months ago a few of us in :grouphug: LIPOG (Long Island Prius Owners Group) got together and installed side signaling mirrors. The mods have been in use for that period of time without any problems.

I have wanted to "embellish" on that mod by making the mirror LED's marker lights, as well.

I looked at wiring changes that would put a diodes and resistors in the circuit. This type of mod would result in a dimmer marker and a brighter flasher. The problem here is that the difference between bright and dim on an LED is fairly minimal, resulting in a very weak indication.

The solution I'm currently looking at is using a couple of miniature relays, where the NC contacts feed voltage to the LED's when the lights are on, and the turn signal pulse triggers the relay so that the the LED's flash at full brightness. The problem here is that the LED's get no signal when the lights are off. Feeding the LED's with a line that is on when the ignition is on results in the side markers being on all the time.

I could insert another relay and fix the problem, but this is starting to look like a "Rube Goldberg" hookup. Does anybody know of an IC circuit that might provide a solution? I've looked around, but nothing seems to fit the application.

2. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Syclone, which side signalling mirrors did you buy and where did you buy them?

BTW, sorry for asking another question and not answering the question in your OP -- I have no clue.

3. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think you could find the vendor if you go on the LIPOG.org site and look at the thread about the mirrors. They are from Hong Kong and cost around $140.00 delivered.