1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side turn signal cut out pattern

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Apr 12, 2006.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking for a pattern for the cutout to install side turn signals. I'm needing dimensions on where to install, the size and the pattern of the side turn signals. I'm trying to avoid making my own in AutoCAD. I've looked on the techdoc euro site but all I could find is the wiring diagram and a "how to remove" pdf. I have made a cardboard template but its not very accurate and a little off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never mind. I whipped out AutoCAD and made my own template in about an hour. Its been a few years since I've used it but I still have my skills. :D Its not exact match and may need some filing down around the edges but its better to create a smaller hole and work from there than to have cut a big hole everyone can see.

If anyone has AutoCAD and would like the file here it is. Print with full limits on 8.5x11 paper and it should print out on a 1:1 scale.

[edit] Link removed but PDF is still available.

This file is for AutoCAD only or any other program that can open and print a DWG file on a 1:1 scale on 8.5x11 sheet of paper. I dont know how to make a jpg file and have it so anyone can print and have it be a 1:1 scale. If anyone knows how to do that let me know and I will post a jpg of my template.

Also i'm not responsible for any damage that may occur during installation and i'm not responsible for any miss calculations on my template. I'm not doing my install but i'm having a local body shop do it. I'm giving them my template and I will let you know how it goes.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are these a particular type of side turn signals, or just some
    random aftermarket thing from an auto parts store? Where abouts
    are you mounting them? Are you certain about enough inside
    clearance under the sheet metal?
    _H*

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I still prefer the signal mirrors over cutting holes in the fender.

Nate

5. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These are genuine Toyota parts from Sigma. These are the same side turn signals that they put on the Prius in all other country's except USA and a few others. :angry: I looked at pictures of the side markers and they appear to be dead center of the hybrid emblem and about 1/2 inch down. Thats is how I made my AutoCAD drawing. I dont know about clearance but I would assume there is plenty of room back there unless they made a design change for a few country's. I dont think they would do that to the body. Thats why i'm having my local body shop install them. Too much for me to handle plus I never did any body work on a car before. Actually this is the first car I have ever washed more than once and I have had my Prius since Jan 2nd 2006. :D

6. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I figured out how just about anyone can use my template. I created a PDF of the template. As long as you print with NO SHRINKING or RESIZING you should be OK. You can center the print if you want but there can be NO RESIZING of any kind! If you do use my template please measure your print and your work area. Like my other post said i'm not responsible for any damage that may occur during installation and i'm not responsible for any miss calculations on my template. I'm not doing my install but i'm having a local body shop do it. I'm giving them my template and I will let you know how it goes.

Here is the PDF version.

Side Turn Signals Template

7. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the template. I was thinking of installing them. It looks like a really complex cutout. In looking at the sigma parts photo the light looks like it is basically round in back. I had no idea the cutout would be sucha bug deal. I just had bodywork done including replacing the front bumper and inner wheel well. I wish I had the shop do it then :(

Anybody who does it shoo\uld also be sure to paint the exposed metal following the cut, and probably use some RTV sealer unless the light is well gasketed. I'd like to see how the wiring is routed too. I assume that you need to remove the splash shield from the wheel well for access. It would be cool if you could get some install photos from the body shop.

8. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Apr 16 2006, 03:59 AM) [snapback]240447[/snapback]</div>
    How would you apply this template to an 04? We don't have the Hybrid logo to base a measument on. Thanks!

9. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I made the template to hug the outline of the housing. You could actually cut a more square hole if you wanted and be just fine. The only problem with a more square hole would be that some of the corners would be so close to the edges of the housing you might risk seeing it if you dont cut it perfect. Also water might leak in if not properly sealed. I made the template like that so you could start trimming for a better fit. Its always better to start with the smallest hole possible and go from there. I dont think you would want to have the “perfect†hole and it end up being to big.

I will try to get my shop to take pictures of the whole process. They actually do that as a free service for all of their customers but only like a day to day update kind of thing for major repairs. They keep the pictures on the website so the customers can see how their car is coming along. Here is their website. http://www.bennettscollision.com/ click on "Check Yor Vehicle" on the left to see their work.

The instructions from Sigma show the approximate location of the turn signals to be where the 2 lines intersect in this picture. They look a little off to me but its up to you on where you want them. As far as I know you could install them on the doors or even the rear quarter panel.

[attachmentid=2992]

10. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I made a few edits to my drawing. Nothing major. Nothing that will effect the cut at all. I'm just a littly picky when it comes to some stuff. I centered the drawing in the PDF and trimmed some areas that needed trimmed. I have removed my AutoCAD drawing but it still will be available upon request.

Here is the PDF.
    2006 Prius Side Turn Signal Cut Out Template

11. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Apr 17 2006, 10:01 PM) [snapback]241301[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the template. Once they are done with the mod, please take more pics, and take some measurements from the fender edge/top/etc. I removed the Hybrid symbols the day I picked up my car, so don't have them to track from. I also have a Barcelona, so your final pics will decide whether or not I get them.

Do you tap them to the headlight wiring, or elsewhere?

12. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A