1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side Window Deflectors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Kathleen2, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Kathleen2

Kathleen2 New Member

What is your experience with side window deflectors?
    Are they worth the expense?
    Do they stay in place?
    Do they cut down on the buffeting sound when the window is down an inch?
    Do you have semi-clear or dark?
    Which is the best type to get?
    Kathleen

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Great question that I've been thinking of myself. I mostly like them so I can leave the window down an inch in the rain (leaving dog in the car, etc). I have tried the in-the-channel ones more times than I'll admit here, and ONLY want to use the tape-on kind. Who makes the best one, and where should I buy? And on top of that, I typically only want the rears if anybody wants to the fronts...

3. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kathleen2 @ Apr 17 2006, 07:35 PM) [snapback]241166[/snapback]</div>
    Kathleenmeistress,
    I have had them on numerous cars and SUVs over the years, and have had a set on my 05 Prius for a year.
    I have had problems with the 3M/tape-on kind eventually coming loose, in particular on two Ford Explorers I owned prior to the Prius. I did run the Explorers through car washes frequently.
    I've had no problem with the ones on the Prius, because they are the kind that are custom-fit and you bend them and slide them up into the window channel, and they stay there through tension. Like a rock. EXCEPT that in the Prius application, you also have to use some little funky metal clips only on the rear doors. They are hidden.
    Mine are tinted, I think. When I bought them, you could only get them one way, but it looks like Weathertech (link below) now offers both clear and dark. I'd go with dark. Looks good, hides scratches, and cuts the sunlight.
    I would recommend nothing other than the tapeless kind. Even with tinted ones, I could see the pieces of mounting tape through the thing on my Explorer. My wife was annoyed by that, so made my life utter HELL (just kidding!)

They are called Weatherflectors, and you can get them here:
    http://www.weathertech.com/store/vehsearch...opt_choice_id=0

rob

sorry, I forgot to address your question about the buffeting.
    I can't answer it anyway, as I've never noticed. I typically use the things more to allow me to crack the windows all day at work (car's parked outside) so that it'll cool a little, and I don't have to worry about the sudden rainstorm.

rpm

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's what I love about humans - same product, totally different result. :) I've had NO problems with the tape-on kind, and that's all I'll use!

5. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What is your experience with side window deflectors? My experience has been great, no problems whatsoever.

Are they worth the expense? I think so. They ran me $139.00.

Do they stay in place? Yes

Do they cut down on the buffeting sound when the window is down an inch? Yes. But more importantly, they really help keep the rain out when the windows are down a bit.

Do you have semi-clear or dark? Dark

Which is the best type to get? I could not say. I ordered mine from Japan through newtoyotaparts.com.
    The only hitch was the instructions were in Japanese. I figured out the install fairly quickly. They really look sharp against my black Prius!

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You guys with the in-channel jobbies...

Any problem with the window grinding on that flange? Wanting to backup because of too much current draw before closed?

Just how do those little clips in the back window work? There seems to be ZERO mention of them on the web site which I find almost fraudulent. All they say is not tape, and they just snap into place! Presto! Grrr. We all know better - why don't they show us how they work?

7. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 17 2006, 10:27 PM) [snapback]241278[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Darell,
    I have had no problem with the in-channel jobbies and the windows. When I first install them, I have my wife or someone close the window the first time while I help the window up with both hands, to make sure the window goes all the way up and seals tightly. Then I leave it like that for a while. That way the vent thing seats in there correctly, and compresses the rubber gasket with some memory. No problems after that. I have heard of some others having a problem with that with their Prii, though.

The instructions for the clips were very vague (so I hope John1701A doesn't have them, as he can't stand anything vague!). It wasn't clear at all which way they go in. I think there were 2 per side (again, this was only on the back windows of the Prius, not on other cars I've had in the past). They are sort of C-shaped, but squared off. You stick them up in there under the rubber window frame gasket and then stick the window flector in. I was pretty sure I got it right, but the first time at a car wash, I had good leakage on both sides, only with the back windows. So, maybe I got it wrong. I haven't messed with it further, and the problem seems to have about gone away on its own. If you search this forum using Weatherflector, I think you'll find a good old post describing the best way to put those clips in.

I'm curious why you don't like the bendy/tapeless kind? Was it problem on install, or subsequent to that?

rob

8. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Apr 18 2006, 11:31 AM) [snapback]241596[/snapback]</div>
    The install went just fine (except in both cases I've tried, the rears also used tape up in the channel (nice touch for a product advertised as "tapeless.")

The problem is in functionality. With a bit of dirt on the hard plastic flange or on the window, I've scraped the glass of the window (near the edge) and I've sure as hell scraped up that flange (but you can't see it normally). The scratches on the window were deep, and pretty ugly, though only 1/2" long. And the rear ones never stayed in right. The tape would let go of the rubber gaskets, and would need to be replaced. And finally, I've had the auto windows try to close, but instead turn around and head back down since the fit was too tight.

The 3M foam tape, on the other hand, has worked prefectly for me, and there is never an interference problem. One thing I notice about the Prius is that there is a change in plane around the outside of the rear window frame. I don't know if the plastic mold accounts for that, or if they hope the foam tape will be forgiving enough to absorb the irregularity (doubtful).

9. YBLee

YBLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have an 06' so maybe this is a problem with my year or the product I received but:

I installed the Weatertech's on the front doors so far and find them very, if not too, tight. If I auto-up the drivers window, it always reverses at the top. Per the instructions, I installed them and left the windows up for over 24 hours but they still haven't seated correctly. I also have noticed a possible reduction in MPG of maybe 2 to 3. I'm going to take them off on the next tank and validate my suspicion.

If they don't start to work correctly withing the next week. I will call the supplier for help or return them.

10. Anubis

Anubis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YBLee @ Jun 21 2006, 02:37 AM) [snapback]274552[/snapback]</div>
    I was wondering about the MPG difference when using these -- I'm also wondering what MPG difference there may be when installing Mud Flaps as well (anyone know?).

Let us know if you find an MPG difference when removing them.

Those advertisements for these things all seem to claim that it makes the car quieter, and I can't quite figure that one out. Is it supposed to be quieter ONLY when driving with the windows rolled down? I don't drive with my windows down, so that wouldn't be an issue -- I wonder if there will be MORE noise with these installed if you usually keep your windows up (due to a lack of "seal" and therefore getting some whistling).

Also, I got my windows tinted and see some people have commented on windows being scratched by these things, which concerns me (regardless of which side of the glass gets scratched).

Are these wind things worth the money (re: the balance between MPG change, gamble with possible problems vs. the reduced interior heat when the windows are allowed to remain open a little without worrying about rain and/or other benefits)? Or, would my interior temperature be better reduced by getting a HeatShield Sunshade for the windshield or even all the windows and then taking the time each day to put them up and then take them down each time I drive somewhere?

11. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kathleen2 @ Apr 17 2006, 07:35 PM) [snapback]241166[/snapback]</div>
    I have them, outside mounting with 3M tape and clips in the door frame, these are smoke dark, they cut down on the helicopter noise when the windows are cracked open above 45mph, are very efficient and DO NOT add any drag to the aerodynamics of the vehicle, so really you do not loose mpg. I got mine from Japan through SigmaAutomotive quite a few months ago.
    Picture1
    Picture2
    Picture3
    Picture4
    Picture5
    Picture6
    Picture7
    Picture8

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Jul 1 2006, 07:10 PM) [snapback]279887[/snapback]</div>
    Help me with this, please! I don't understand that they are "outside mount" and have clips in the door. If they're outside mount, why are clips needed? Which brand from Sigma?

While I'm quite confident that it would be minimal drag at best, I'm not sure how you know that they don't *add* any drag.

I would love to get some good-quality tape-on outside mount deflectors. But have not yet found any. If you can point me to real out-side mount ones (with no clips!) I'd love to see them! Thanks.

13. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 1 2006, 10:39 PM) [snapback]279898[/snapback]</div>
    Darell, I think that Sigma doesn't carry these any more or at least it is not in their current webpage, but send an email to aerometer.
    Regarding the "drag", it has to be so infimal that can't be accounted for under daily driving; I imagine that a pair of mud flaps will add more aerodynamics drag than this accesory, or maybe the " shark fin" on the roof with its larger mass than the original slick antenna.
    The clips supplied support the vents at the car center to avoid vibrations and to add strenght to the final install.
    I've included pictures of the shades in the previous post ;)
    Horacio