1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side Window Visors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by seasalsa, Mar 31, 2004.

1. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Canadian Side Window Visors arrived today but it is only 48 degrees so I can not install them unil it warms up to above 60 degrees.

The installation appears to be straight forward. No tools are required, they have a 3M tape installed on them and an applicator tube of activator that is to be applied to a clean surface.

I will be adding more info and pictures shortly weather permitting.

2. m4prius

m4prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Seasalsa,

Can you give a web site or email address to order the Side Window Visors.

Mike

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyotatown; Langely, BC. 604-530-9151. If you call ask for Steve in parts. Steve's email is [email protected]

Side Window Visors C0500-47014 $76.00 Mine were US$65.87 inc shipping.

They are high quality and compare to the Ventashields that I have used before.

4. Bill Compton

Bill Compton New Member

How do you think they would look on a white Prius?

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Canadian Toyota site shows them on a light colored Prius in their ebrochure.

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WW...v169080e%2ehtml

I think they look good, it appears that the window frame and windows are dark so the dark window visors fit right in.

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The temperature was in the upper 50's and sunny so I took a chance and installed my Side Window Visors today. I applied the included adhesive primer to the car and installed the visors per the instructions without any problems. There is no support at the junction of the front and rear visor so they supply adhesive clips to add the needed support. I have just uploaded pictures including a close-up of the support clips.

7. ammiels

ammiels New Member

Please let us know how they function

8. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II

Wondering how the side window visors are treating you -- overall? What are the benefits/drawbacks?

Any wind noise?

Also, how is the visibility looking out the front driver or passenger side window towards the front of the car - since they look like the visors curve down into the line vision. Any impact on how you can see?

Thanks!

9. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wondering how the side window visors are treating you -- overall? What are the benefits/drawbacks?
    Answer: No drawbacks yet. I am pleased with them; the greatest benefit is that you can lower all four windows about an inch for ventilation while parked in the sun, which with the Salsa Red is ideal. Also it is not apparent that the windows are open for security. In fact the last time I washed the car with the back windows open and didn’t get the inside wet.

Any wind noise?

Answer: I haven’t had it on the freeway yet, but there is no wind noise under normal driving. You can hear more traffic noise.

Also, how is the visibility looking out the front driver or passenger side window towards the front of the car - since they look like the visors curve down into the line vision. Any impact on how you can see?

Answer: I have had them on several cars and there are no vision problems. Kinda like the rear window view on the 2004, you get used to it quickly.

10. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed mine earlier in the week, install is at http://www.vfaq.net/Mods-body.html
    If you're going to install them, you might want to use my instructions over the ones included with the visors, as I note some shortcomings with the included instructions (as I will be with the ECM instructions, and did so with the mudflap instructions)

I love them. I can have the windows down almost 2" with very little noise compared to without them. They don't get rid of ALL of the noise, but cut it down greatly.

Due to the possibility of driving winds with the rain around here, I can't leave the front windows down any, because of a tiny uncovered gap at the front of the visors, but I have been able to leave the rear windows barely cracked open all week, and it makes a definite improvement on interior temps when parked in the sun.

11. jmacsva

jmacsva New Member

Can someone send me a email or url for a place to buy the Side Window Visors?... Steve@toyotatown has not responded my emails...

Thanks for your help!
    john mc

12. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  13. jmacsva

jmacsva New Member

https://www.toyota-parts.ca is EXCELLENT

Thanks. Could not have been easier.... they are my parts supplier from now on!

14. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Read through this section on the visors but wonder if anyone has had any problem going through high pressure (brushless) car washes with the visors? A local car wash attendant advises not using the high pressure wash with the visors.

15. Smooth Operator

I have had these visors for about six months now. I like them in the sun, but they are pretty much useless in the rain. Here in Vancouver we seem to get more of the latter than the former.

The front visors come to a slight rounded end at the front. This results in water collecting on the rounded portion. Driving with the window even slightly open in the rain results in water dripping in at the front.

I could drive with the windows slightly open on my old Ranger and my old Mazda, both with vents, without any water entering the vehicles, even in the heaviest rain.

16. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Do the visors eliminate the helicopeting effect that occurs over 40 mph when the front windows are closed and the rear windows are open?

Any data on how the visors affect the aerodynamics (drag coefficient) of the car?

17. GKarschnick

GKarschnick New Member

Just a warning. I put side visors on my old Geo Tracker and the noise increase was/is terrible. I would be a little worried about putting them on mu Prius. Can anyone definitely state that there is no noise increase at highway speeds?

18. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I've had the visors and mud flaps for about 3 months and they didn't seem to affect mileage. I wish the visors were better designed to keep rain out. The visors do not affect the heilocoptoring affect regarding noise one way or the other.

19. ammiels

ammiels New Member

Have them about 3 mo. also now. With advice garnered here I mounted them as far forwards as possible and filled the space with black RTV silicone rubber which stops the front leak. The parking with windows cracked 1" even when rain threatens is a plus and the looks are up to the observer. I find I do not drive with the windows open. It is noisier no matter what, the car is said to get more MPG closed even if it needs A/C and lastly the big battery is happiest with cooling air at comfortable to humans temps and the cabin air exhausts over the battery. Peace, Ammiel

20. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i've had the visors on for a month and they do diminish the "helicoptoring" effect if i open the rear windows no more than half way. all the way open, no good, but half way or less, no buffeting effect on my ear drums, at least as compared to no visors, when i could really not open the rears at all without implosion forces blasting my head open, so to speak.
    road/wind noise is also reduced appreciably.
    beauty-wise, eh, more crap on the car, but utility makes it worth it. my 2 cents.