1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Side window visors"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Jul 12, 2007.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, when I purchased my car just over a month ago, I also purchased the side window visors. We don't get really hot weather here, so leaving the side windows down an inch or so means not having to use A/C. The visors keep rain and dew from dripping inside.

Got the visors and installed them myself. After a few days, I noticed the tape that holds them on starting to fail. After a month, it was failing enough to worry me they would be flying off at highway speeds. Back to dealer.

"If you installed them yourself, we don't warranty them. You didn't clean the door well enough." was the parts counter guys response. I took him out to the car and pointed out the tape was coming off the visor, not the car (the visors come with the tape already on them). New visors ordered, no charge. Visors came in and I replaced them. Turned out they were not very easy to get off the car. The tape had failed on the front 3-4" of the front door window visors, and the rear 3-4" of the rear door window visors. I had to pull like crazy to get them off. Comforting. I guess.

So, these are the "Toyota" window visors (Toyota part) and Toyota Canada. Not Weathertech that I can tell. Are the ones you get in the US different? These stick on with tape, and have a support that clips to the visor and sticks to the door on both front and rear on the ends that meet in the center of the car. They are over 1/8" thick. Oh, and kudos to the dealer (Kingsway Toyota), they cost me less than advertised on the Toyota Canada web site (around $80 vs over $100). Perhaps the web site price was "installed". Kingsway charge $20 to install them.

BTW, they work very well. They don't seem to affect my mileage, are not noisy, and do keep water out. When my father was traveling with me, he was able to smoke his pipe with the window down an inch or so, and all the smoke went out the window. And I think they make the car look better.

2. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

i had the same thing happen on my last vehicle..... they were either weathertech or ventvisors (i think vent visors).... they started "lifting" jsut like you describe yours are..... separating from the visor itself not the car! "funny" thing is we've used the stick on visors on numerous cars in the past with no bad results (my hubby's tacoma has had them on for about 7 years now!!!!!) i'm wondering if (a) 3M's tape has changed? or (B) the plastic used has changed and doesn't like to bond to tape?

i'm glad you were able to get them exchanged/replaced (our biggest thing with getting ours replaced was getting the old ones off where they did stick to the car! did NOT want to come off!)

we ended up going with the in-channel version on our prius and love them so far!! i think they are a nice look on the car!

John Albertson likes this.
  3. DjEZ

DjEZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i feel that my milleage droped after installing my widow visor. I drove 4000 Kms and mostly highway got 5.7l/100km compared to 1000 km highway driving 5.2L/100km. Are you driving highway? i got up to 120km/hr average at highway, otherwise city driving i still average 5.1L/100 km

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Weathertech doesn't use tape. They just fit up inside the window. I saw them on Wayne's car (Fire Engineer) when he installed my EBH. Very nice. I put off getting anything because I don't like tape or glue. These were great.

5. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been thinking about those, but I haven't decided yet. I roll my windows down a lot & always crack them in the summer

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DjEZ @ Jul 25 2007, 06:22 PM) [snapback]485146[/snapback]</div>
    My MPG is still climbing, slowly, and I don't think that my Weathertech deflectors have affected it at all.