1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

sigh... greenwashing by a Walnut Creek VW dealer

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Apr 18, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On the KTVU chanenl 2 10 O'Clock news over here, I saw a TV ad by Dirito Brothers VW of Walnut Creek, CA.

They're celebrating their "Go Green" sales event. From the ad:
    They go on to talk about the gasoline powered Limited Edition California Jetta as well.

Somehow, Tier 2 Bin 5 for the TDI which is no better than many (maybe ALL?) currently sold gasoline powered cars and a vehicle that is estimated to produce 60% more greenhouse gases/year than the Prius (6.4 tons vs. 4.0 tons) constitutes being one of the "cleanest cars on the planet"? :confused: Sigh....

On Dirito Bros Walnut Creek Volkswagen - A San Jose Volkswagen dealer with new and used Volkswagens in Walnut Creek, CA, I notice in the lower right a Flash movie that says shows the VW Jetta TDI calling it the "Official Pace Car of the Environment." :/ I think this is official VW artwork/marketing material.

2. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Prius owners should organize a demonstration. Who can ignore a few dozen Prii....

3. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I actually want to take a VW TDI for a test drive, all the car review websites are raving about it. I want to see what it's about. I won't buy it, because it doesn't make financial sense for me ( diesel is about 90 cents more per gallon than regular here). I won't call the TDI a green car, a corolla gets about the same mileage and is almost 7k cheaper and has almost the exact same dimensions (one inch thinner but one inch longer).

4. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Jetta TDI is a very nice car. I have a 2003 wagon, my brother has a 2003 sedan, a good friend has a 2006 sedan. I've also test driven the 2009 and it is just like my friend's 2006 but with noticeably more power. It is a very comfortable car that manages to be reasonably sporty and fuel efficient.

A Corolla would be less expensive to drive simply because the TDI is only offered in VW's highest level of trim. You can't buy a basic TDI anymore, it comes standard with leather, fully adjustable power and heated seats (driver and passenger), premium stereo, etc. Hopefully this will change in the future or at least VW will offer the 2010 Golf TDI is a lower level of trim. (The Golf has more passenger and cargo space then the Jetta and Corolla)

Historically diesel fuel is more than premium in the winter and spring and less than regular in the summer and fall. The swing in price is due to fuel stocks being diverted from making on-highway diesel to fuel oil used for home heating. Currently the national average for diesel is $2.229 while regular gasoline is $2.051. The difference is greatest in the North East and Mid-Atlantic. For current fuel prices and links to 20+ years of weekly data: Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update

Diesel also varies widely by station. Some stations sell diesel fuel and price it competitively. Others have diesel fuel and charge a huge premium for it. Diesel owners quickly learn which stations to buy from and which to avoid. For example, I filled up last week and paid $2.059 for diesel at my regular station. There were two stations within a couple of miles that had diesel priced at $2.599 the same day.

A diesel will also easily beat the EPA numbers by 15% to 20%. It is typical to get the EPA highway mileage as a combined average. Even the EPA admits that the EPA test rates diesels 18% lower than actual reported mileage. The EPA test is designed for gasoline cars and diesels are such a small fraction of total vehicles they have no incentive to fix this.

As to emissions. The Jetta TDI's rating of Tier 2 Bin 5 is misleading. The only pollutant category that the TDI emits B5 levels of pollution is NOx. All the other pollutants are much lower:

2009 VW Jetta 2.0L TDI (@ UL)
    Pollutant ------- Measured ------ Bin #
    NMOG ------------ 0.012 -------- Bin 3
    CO ---------------- 0.4 ---------- Bin 2
    NOx -------------- 0.05 --------- Bin 5
    PM --------------- 0.000 -------- Bin 1
    ( http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/2009/volkswagen_pc_a0070271_2d0_l2_diesel.pdf )