1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sigh, TPMS...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ashlem, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    So I ordered some rims and winter tires from tirerack back in Sept when they had a $70 rebate for Michelins going on. Because the TPMS didn't work (or rather, I was too cheap to pay it) on my 2012 prius c, I thought about getting cloneable sensors from Goodyear for my 2014 prius liftback.

Unfortunately I called several local stores, and none of them are able to read the TPMS on a 2014 liftback (most said they could only read 2012 or older ones). Toyota dealerships want $420 for 4 TPMS, plus the mount/balance for winter tires. They also said the TPMS would have to be recalibrated every time I swap them out, which would cost an extra $100 every time I swap, so $200 a year for the winter/spring swap.

When I mentioned cloneable sensors, several of the Goodyear and the Toyota dealerships sounded like I was smoking crack or something, and stated TPMS sensors can't be cloned, despite what I read on the internet. One store did mention alligator TPMS, but said they can't get those.

So, trying to do this "legally" (aka have working TPMS) on my winter tire set is proving to be a headache. And searching on this forum yielded mostly older posts that from what the service advisor said, may or may not work with reading the TPMS (but he could have just said it so that I get it done by them for $$$).

So, what are my options? It's starting to get cold, and I want to get the winter tires on soon.

- Pay to get them installed/mounted at a dealership. (I can afford it, but I don't like the idea of spending $420, then $100 every time to swap out my tires and get them recalibrated).

- Put the winter rim/tires on myself and deal with the light (would I have any alignment/balancing issues since I don't have a lot of tools and certainly none to balance the wheels with, or is it just a matter of putting the tire on the rim, filling it up then swapping the tires?).

- Get the tools and cloneable TPMS myself and then have Goodyear put it in, swap the tire set out, then do the ECU work myself (what tools do I need and what TPMS would I have to get since apparently they change every model year).

- Move somewhere where this thing called "snow" doesn't exist. (okay, this one was just a joke option, and in before someone suggests it :p).

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just skip the TPMS.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not a fan. while i have not had any issues, there are too many horror stories.

4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I find this so puzzling that I'm not sure what you're suggesting:
    - Put the winter rim/tires on myself and deal with the light (would I have any alignment/balancing issues since I don't have a lot of tools and certainly none to balance the wheels with, or is it just a matter of putting the tire on the rim, filling it up then swapping the tires?).

So I'll move to an easier one:
    - Get the tools and cloneable TPMS myself and then have Goodyear put it in, swap the tire set out, then do the ECU work myself (what tools do I need and what TPMS would I have to get since apparently they change every model year).

I have a 2011 Prius and bought an ATEQ Quickset to acquaint the car with whichever set of tires it's wearing at the time. According to their application chart it's good thru 2013 for the Prius (but all of the applications top out at 2013 on their chart, so it should work on a 2014).
    It's about $150 (not cheap) but mine has worked well over a couple of changeovers. h
    ttp://

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don't the TPMS batteries have a lifetime of maybe 5 years? And the replacement cost is not insignicant? I'll just vote refusenik 'till cost and complexity comes back to earth. If ever...

bisco likes this.
  6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At discount tire, with no coupons, it is only $16 to swap tires. Refuse the TPMS "repair" kit they try to push and the sales pitch how it is unsafe and leaks now, and you are out the door for $64 + tax. If you swap twice a year, is $128 really worth the hassle? If you want to go even more hassle free, a lot of dealerships and tire places will store your summer/winter swap tires for you, for free. Of course the kicker you must come back at the end of season to get your tires! But if you are going there anyways, why not?

kenichols29 likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now having two household cars with TPMS, I followed css28's route and got the ATEQ Quikset. And because that cannot read the sensors IDs numbers, I also got the ATEQ VT30 rf reader. While this solution is expensive, and not really affordable for a household with a single TPMS car, it is still cheaper over time than what Toyota is offering you. See my reply at Tire Pressure Question.

For a Prius-only solution, a mini-VCI and the cheap (pirate?) version of Techstream would be far less expensive. But I found no indication that the mini-VCI could handle our Subaru, so went the ATEQ route to cover both cars.

The local Les Schwab tire shop offered to do the seasonal reprogramming for $20 per time, but then wouldn't touch the car until its model year was in tool's official database. Never mind that it is probably identical to the previous several model years, they still wouldn't touch it. For my Subaru, they still didn't have it in the database a full year after the model was released. Now that I can do it myself, I haven't checked back to see if they ever got it.

8. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW the Quickset downloads the serial no.s of the sensors that are already known by the car. I bought my winter tires mounted from Tire Rack and they provided the new serial numbers so I could enter them into the Quickset through my home computer so I was only out the$150 for the Quickset (plus, of course, the new sensors).

Although it's a low feature TPMS system I believe the investment worth it to catch a leak in progress that I might not have noticed.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How much for the new sensors?

Going by TireRack: $212. Plus $150 for the device to configure the sensors. And then the batteries die in the OEM sensors, and you need to replace them for another $212. Oy vey!

#9 Mendel Leisk, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For some reason, I didn't get the serial numbers with my Tirerack purchase. So buyers should clarify this first, make sure they are included.
    Both of our TPMS cars caught leaks during their first six months. The first was slow enough to get home. Without TPMS I would not have noticed it that day, but would have found it completely flat the next morning. The second was much faster, happening between road trip rest stops, and just before the last available tire shop was closing for the evening. The TPMS flagged it in time to manually pump up the tire before it was damaged, and get it repaired before checking into a hotel for the evening.

11. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This brings to mind the old saying, '' Not enough sugar for a dime'' to me, dealing with two sets of tires and TPMS. By the time you buy another set of TPMS and get them programmed twice a year--- you are spending some serious change. I replaced my 15'' tires and wheels with 16''---ordered the new TPMS installed in them but ''Discount Tire'' somehow did not install--- and now have the little yellow icon on, on the dash. For several $100, it does not bother me....If I somewhere down the road put the 15'' wheels back on, I will be GTG.

12. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it's looking more like I'll end up without TPMS in the winter tires. Now the issue of putting the tires on the rims. I asked my brother who knows about cars but he said you need a specialized tool to put them on properly. Should I just take it to Goodyear and have them pop the tires onto the rims without TPMS on it? I'll just change the tires out myself at home.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, mounting and balancing is really best left to pros.

The lack of TPMS is no big deal. But it is frustrating: the system is effective, still the implementation by Toyota is poorly thought out, way too expensive. It borders on negligence to design it thus.

14. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, yesterday I had a local Goodyear install the tires on the wheels w/o mounting them on due to lack of TPMS. Then my brother and I swapped the tires on both of our cars (his c and my liftback). His tires mounted okay, and so did mine. Then I filled them up with air. His tires were okay, 3 of mine filled just fine.

However, the fourth tire, when I pressed a tire gauge on it, and the air compressor, the valve retreats into the wheel and leaks a ton of air out. I tried to hold the valve steady to prevent it from moving back in, but I couldn't maintain a good grip on it. A call to the store yielded no results, as they claim since they didn't put the wheel on the car it's not their responsibility.

True enough, but they installed the tire on the wheel, along with the tire valves (it didn't have any on them when I brought them in) and 3 of them were fine. I'm not sure how my brother and I could have possibly damaged the valve as I barely touched them after taking them home, and the valve was nowhere near where the bolts go in.

I'm too afraid to drive it right now, so I'm going to take my brother's c to work and then tomorrow drive the liftback to the store and show them what I'm talking about. I really hope they fix it, otherwise I'm just going to take it to a Toyota dealer and fork over the extortion money for the TPMS system and at least get it done correctly.

And before you ask, there's snow in our forecast. After experiencing how crappy the stock tires are in snow, I'm not driving it without snow tires on either. I don't really want to drive a sled around.

15. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's crazy.
    I'd take the wheel off the car and bring it in to the tire store. If you don't have another car to use, put one of the summer tires back on for the drive over.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm lost. Is the tire shop refusing to mount the tires due to no TPMS? That IS crazy.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the U.S., it is normal for tire shops to refuse to put non-TPMS tire-wheel combinations onto TPMS vehicles. Something about 'liability', since TPMS has been mandated here since model year 2008.

Customers can still do it themselves, generally by creating the illusion that the tires-wheels may not be going onto a TPMS vehicle, giving the shop 'plausible deniability'. After all, we do still have plenty of legacy non-TPMS cars still on the road. The shop mounts the tires on the wheels, then the customer takes the mounted sets home to install on the vehicle him/herself, out of the shop's view.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is ridiculous tho. God I hope they don't tighten up like that up here.

19. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I agree with Mendel. Skip the TPMS. If you then get an indication on the dash that bothers you, cut a small piece of black electrical tape and cover it and your TPMS problem is solved.

20. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I had a lot of TPMS horror stories with a new 2007 Camry. The computer that controls it went out among other things. Everything I had done to it was covered under warranty.