1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SIGMA antenna

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Syclone, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Iv'e seen several posts, including one of my own regarding the SIGMA unit. Doing some Googling revealed that the unit is being sold by some Toyota and Nissan dealers for about $80.00.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=999U9-SGMA1

The Illustration along with the unit shows the SIGMA unit with an additional box. The question is: Is the satellite receiver built into the head unit, making the second smaller unit a break out box to handle power and signal leads, Or is the Head unit just a really clutzy looking antenna making the second box the receiver. Of course the third choice is " None of the above"

I spoke to one of the service advisors at my local Toyota dealer and he said that the receiver was integrated into the head. I'm not sure he really knew what I was look for.

Does anybody have any definitive information?

If the receiver is in the head, I'm stuck with it for the moment. If it's just an antenna, I'd be good to go for integrating an external antenna under a Shark Fin AM/FM antenna.

2. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

3. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five

4. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Jun 13 2006, 11:37 PM) [snapback]270926[/snapback]</div>
    Check out my previous post at:
    http://priuschat.com/Fix-for-Sirius-Static-t20654.html
    Look at the attached .pdf document....it has some pictures that will
    show you where mine is located....along with some other good info.
    Regards,
    Matt

5. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Jun 14 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]271049[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Matt. I will be taking a look a little later today.

Sy

6. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Jun 14 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]271063[/snapback]</div>

Matt:

No Luck! The radio head was not in the place illustrated in your photos. I'm not going to continue disassembling the car - looking for the darn thing. I'll try to find someone at the dealership that actually knows where they really put the radio.

Just to double check: The unit you removed was an ugly wedge shaped unit stuck up at the top of the windshield partially behind the rear view mirror wasn't it?

Sy

7. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Jun 14 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]271152[/snapback]</div>
    Same ugly wedge shape unit, but they put mine on the rear hatch glass up near the top.
    I've heard of some dealerships installing the sat tuner box under one of the seats (driver, passenger, and even under the rear seat bottom. You should be able to see it without removing anything if it's under one of the two front seats. If it's under the back seat bottom, then you'll need to remove that to see it.
    If you want to replace the Sigma Antenna, and you have the same "Sirius Connect" sat tuner I have (Toyota part #PTS31-00050) then it's an easy swap (once you find the sat tuner box, that is).
    Good Luck!

8. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Jun 14 2006, 01:25 PM) [snapback]271206[/snapback]</div>
    Success at last. Calling on the phone got nowhere. I stopped in at the service department and got to one of the techs that install radios. He said it's either in the passenger side kick panel, or up in the cowl next to the lower glove box.

No room in thekick panel - lots of wiring and connectors. It was nestled right next the lower glove box, and not too securely attached ( 1 or 2 tie wraps.) Looks just like the picture on your web site.

On to the next step - get a Sirius antenna that will go under a Shark fin antenna.

Thanks for all your help, Matt

9. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Jun 21 2006, 04:44 PM) [snapback]274841[/snapback]</div>
    Try this one:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1125465404455
    I've got this one and it works great.....I put it on the roof of the Prius between the AM/FM antenna
    and the rear hatch.......should be small enough to go under the Shark Fin (although I'm not sure) and
    I know it plugs right in to the antenna input in the tuner box.
    I recall seeing one install guide here on PC that showed how you can get to the factory antenna (from the inside) by going through the rear passenger dome light fixture.
    Good luck!

10. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Jun 22 2006, 08:25 AM) [snapback]275173[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks again Matt. It certainly looks small enough to go under the Sharkfin. I ordered the Sharkfin and will wait until it comes in to order the antenna.

I noticed that in the pictures of the SIGMA kits available from Toyota dealers, that there is a splitter. Did you need to use one. The quick look I took of the Receiver unit looked like the MCX connector is a standard one seen on most satellite units. I know the antenna needs around 2.5 volts to power its internal amplifier. I'm assuming that the receiver unit supplies that voltage to the coax cable. I would guess that the splitter (or maybe it should be called a combiner) is needed for receivers that don't feed the required voltage.

Sy

11. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Jun 22 2006, 06:44 PM) [snapback]275495[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't need or use any splitter.
    I've heard of an SMB combiner that takes the feed of the older style 2 wire antennae
    and combines them into one to feed into the tuner...but mine wasn't like that (either the old Sigma
    or the new Directed Electronics antenna).
    Regards,
    Matt