1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Signature panel inclusions

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by mrbigh, May 12, 2007.

?
  1. NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. YES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I'm sorry about the PC participants who already display it, but I think this is not the place for subliminal political advertising or religious of any kind, hybrid cars and technical related is more than appropriate for Prius Chat.

And now do not come and start screaming about the First amendment and freedom of speech .....

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put a tentative "Yes"... Something like the small "Obama" banner in Tony's sig I have no issues with. I do not want to see (nor will we see as it'll be stopped immediately) any huge banners, multiple banners, anything in bad taste or of an insulting nature. Anything like that needs to be confined to Fred's and since our sigs are in all posts in all areas it's gotta be kept in check.

We don't need a poll for this, really. I suppose if it was something like 95% "no" we could take Tony out for a beating and make him remove his little banner.

That said, the poll itself isn't really fairly worded. "Do you "want" to see political banners"....no I don't sit on pins and needles hoping for them, I don't wish for them, but neither do I "not want" them or feel that something subtle is inappropriate.

By their nature our signatures tend to say something about our political/philisophical/religious natures simply by what we choose to put in them.

3. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've seen it happen on other boards. You start allowing simple banners and it will surely evolve into partisan flame wars. Bad idea.

----------------------
    [​IMG]

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bohous @ May 12 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]440829[/snapback]</div>
    Partisan flame wars...on PriusChat...never! :D

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I know where the political banners are, "They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat."

Actually, I'm opposed to political or any subliminal messaging at Priuschat. As soon as I see it, I'll put an end to it.
    <div align="center">Nader in '08
    </div>

I'll tell you what, in the event that this poll is directed at me, I'll make this deal: if all the Moderators agree that I should take it down then I will.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I didn't vote, I'm just posting, because "voting" for a false choice is meaningless. I vote that all posts must have correct spelling and grammer!
    Vote for me! I'm correct!

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it's such a good idea. We have enough trouble discussing issues without seeing red at having flags waved in our faces.

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Personally, I'm against any sort of graphics in signature files, but as long as it's not too big, flashing, and/or offensive (yes, I'm looking at YOU, Squid!) I say it couldn't do any harm.

9. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Banners? We don' need no stinkin' banners!

10. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Since one of the options on this board's control panel is signature suppression, I think whatever one wants to lard up their signature with is just fine. I turned on signature suppression the instant I saw it available - why crowd up limited screen space with redundant, useless content? But having the option to see or not see signatures, and allowing signatures to be as candied up as a user wants I think provides the best of all possible options to everyone.

MB

11. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I choose option c: Don't care

Seriously though, it is probably of little consequence so long as everyone can behave like adults (ha!). Why would I care if someone wants to plug a candidate?

12. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I see nothing wrong with banners, as long as they are for the right candidate!

13. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 13 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]441160[/snapback]</div>
    Nice. :D

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried to vote but the voting machines were rigged and it didn't take my vote. :(

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 12 2007, 08:10 PM) [snapback]440842[/snapback]</div>
    Don't do it Tony! Keep that Obama banner!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ May 12 2007, 08:46 PM) [snapback]440859[/snapback]</div>
    Aw, come now Bill. This place would get boring if all the neo-cons were banned.

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    More accurate poll results would have resulted if the original poll question has been modified to:

"Would you object to or be offended by political advertising or banners included in the Prius Chat personal signature panel?"

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Do I *want* to see advertising or political banners in personal signatures? No.

Do I object to or would I be offended to see advertising or political banners in personal signatures? No.

So my answer to the original poll question is neither yes nor no. There is no answer as the question is stated and the choices given.

17. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I rather enjoy confirming the level of stupidity of the individual with their selection of candidate banner in their siggy.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've been needing a new sig for awhile.

19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's great, Stev0!

20. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ May 12 2007, 07:33 PM) [snapback]440803[/snapback]</div>
    Sigs are NOT subliminal...unless they flash faster than you can KNOW you really saw it...Per Wikipedia: " subliminal message is a signal or message embedded in another object, designed to pass below the normal limits of perception. These messages are indiscernible to the conscious mind, but are alleged to be perceptible to the subconscious or deeper mind: for example, an image transmitted so briefly that it is only perceived subconsciously, but not otherwise noticed. Subliminal techniques have occasionally been used in advertising and propaganda; the purpose, effectiveness and frequency of such techniques is debated."

Sigs are right out there, just like the posts from those who use them. They are anything BUT subliminal. You can choose to shut off messages from ANYONE you don't want to hear from. I don't see how we can forbid people putting what they want to in their sigs, as long as they fit within the other boundaries regulated by PC.

Use the SCROLL, Luke.