1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sikes accelerator/braking data

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Yossarian, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are so many threads on this now I'm not sure where to put this. There was some speculation about what data the car retained, and I did a forum search but nobody seems to have commented on this (sorry if I mised it). Does this data show the accelerator moving on and off or just the brakes? Sounds like it tracks accelerator applications too.

Toyota Finds Inconsistencies in California Prius Driver?s Story - BusinessWeek

The hybrid hatchback’s self-diagnostic system showed “evidence of numerous, rapidly repeated on-and-off applications of both the accelerator and the brake pedals,†Mike Michels, a spokesman for the world’s largest carmaker, said at a press conference in San Diego yesterday. “There are significant inconsistencies between the account of the event†and the investigation.

“The accelerator and brake pedal had been rapidly and repeatedly pressed on and off about 250 times,†Bob Waltz, Toyota’s U.S. vice president of product, quality and service support, said at the briefing, citing data recorded by the car’s diagnostic computer. There was no sign that “binding†caused the pedal to stick, he said.

Also here:

Toyota Disputes Prius Driver's Account - WSJ.com

Toyota's Mr. Waltz said data from the onboard computers indicate the brakes and accelerator were depressed about 250 times during the incident.

1 person likes this.
  2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I believe they downloaded that information from the hybrid's control computer system rather than the event data recorder (black box), which only stores information after a collision.

250 times is apparently the maximum amount of data that the Prius' self-diagnostic system can collect.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Correct about the source of the data. I don't know about the limit, but that number wouldn't surprise me.

Tom

4. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing others have mentioned this, but I can think of no reason why anyone would do such a thing, unless of course if they were trying to get the car to do something strange.

For example, if you want to thrash the brakes on a Prius, you'd have to do something like this, since otherwise you'd just get a bunch of regen, plus killing the engine.

Now if you wanted to maintain high speed plus burn up the brakes, why, then this is exactly what you'd do.

Today, I did verify that you can press the brake on the Prius without killing the engine, you just have to push very softly. I was able to accelerate while lightly engaging the brake. I didn't do it for more than about 5 seconds, but I'm wondering what would happen once the battery was full. My guess: Friction brakes kick in and the engine would then be killed. I guess I'll try it.

5. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It doesn't? Does me. Pretty much proves he was intentionally trying to fry the brakes. 90 MPH for 23 miles would take 15 minutes. That works out to one brake application every 4 seconds for the entire incident. Just sit where you are and take your leg and do that for just one minute and tell me that is what someone would do in a run away car.

"Data from on-board computers indicated that Sikes had applied the brakes, to some degree, at least 250 times during the 23 mile incident, Toyota executives said, and that the brakes worked normally each time."

6. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think he meant that a data storage limit of 250 pedal-pushes seems reasonable.

1 person likes this.
  7. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    250 times ? He purposely was trying to pre kill the brakes.

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It surprises me too. He was pumping the brakes for a long time. I would really like to know what is being recorded and what the brake pressures were. Its almost like an OCD actuation.

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I do not believe that the car is even remotely capable
    of recording that kind of activity. I would have to have a
    precise description of how this supposed data was pulled before
    I believe that it exists.
    _H*

4 people like this.
  10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's easy to believe considering the hybrid/drive-by-wire system is basically a one giant computer. Ever had a crash report generated by your computer? Same thing.

11. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So, how many times might "you" pump the brakes, or "jab/jossle" the gas pedal, in a desparate hope that the "next" time would work. I can't tell you just how many times we cycled the gear on our Cessna 210 in hopes the next one would show a down and locked indication. But we did cycle it so many times the alternator failed and we had to pump it down manually the LAST time.

12. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ...Except Sikes claimed that he was NOT "jab/jossling" the gas pedal. He claimed that the gas pedal was stuck all the way to the floor THE ENTIRE time.

The hybrid computer diagnostic log shows different-- That somebody was pressing AND releasing the gas pedal to accelerate the car in bursts and alternatingly braking during that time. It was NOT stuck, or else the log would have shown a constant gas pedal flooring.

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not to mention Sikes's claim that he was "standing" on the brake, when physical evidence indicates that the brake wear was inconsistent with his account.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's like doing gas -> brake and repeat every 5.5 seconds.

15. a1a1a1

a1a1a1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    NO! Toyota's claim is that this was the case. They are not impartial whatsoever. We will never know truly if Toyota is being truthful because the evidence was not analyzed independently and now can never be at this point. It's like letting Citibank analyze the banking meltdown -- They'll surely never be at fault.

16. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is a Toyota Prius forum. The Prius will surely never be at fault. :eek:

Me, I will wait to see what NHTSA has to say, although the Prius at issue was not exactly examined in a 'sterile' environment.

I wonder where the data on brake-throttle applications came from if the data logging is not supposed to be triggered absent a crash? :eek: :eek:

17. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Read up in the thread and in the linked article. But we do need better detail on the source and what exactly the data means. 250 reps in the span of the incident? That does strike me as quite a workout.

- D

18. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Huh? What do you think NHTSA is? Same as Toyota?

Did you read the thread?

Wow, you (a1a1a1 and apriusfan) are trying really hard to discredit Toyota despite all evidence against Sikes.

19. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ...now go listen / watch the Sikes interview(s) please
    BTW with all your "positive" comments aren't you discounting the value of your Prius that you put up for sale here on PC? HMMM - I was going to make you an offer, but deleted it as to not to make fun of your post!

20. Juanuchis

Juanuchis Fanny Foamer

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think they both need to ditch their Prii and buy Amurican. Sheesh.

2 people like this.