1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

silly question while driving to work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by splashback, May 1, 2007.

1. splashback

splashback New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was coming down a hill approaching a red light. I decided to put the car in "B" for the first time.
    After coasting to the light I then put the car in "D".
    What would happen if one would by accident put the car in Reverse while in either "B" or "D"?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(splashback @ May 1 2007, 03:54 PM) [snapback]433432[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing.

3. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    From what I've read (on another Prius board), that's correct. Someone did it at 40 MPH.

4. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(splashback @ May 1 2007, 03:54 PM) [snapback]433432[/snapback]</div>
    I could be mistaken but I don't think the transmission will let you do this....from what I've read I think it would put you in neutral if you tried to go into reverse while moving.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(splashback @ May 1 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]433432[/snapback]</div>
    The thing about the Prius joy stick is that it's nothing like a regular car's transmission:

Take a manual tranny: The engine is locked to the wheels via a fixed ratio for any given gear. If you push the car forward while in reverse gear, it makes the engine turn backwards. That's really bad.

The joy stick in the Prius merely tells the computer whether you want to go foward or backwards, and B tells it you want to go forward but use engine braking. If the car is going forward at any appreciable speed, and you flip the joystick to R, the computer says, "Silly driver, you can't go into reverse while going forward." I think it might put you into neutral, but I'm not sure of that.

By the way, the only time you want to use engine braking is when the hill is so long that it would otherwise charge your battery to full, and then the brake pedal would activate the friction brakes. Engine braking takes some of the work off the friction brakes. If your battery is not full, and not likely to become full from regen on the downhill, you should continue to use F, so that braking is regenerative and you get that energy back into the battery.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    D works better than F. :p (I know, just a typo.)

7. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  8. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(splashback @ May 1 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]433432[/snapback]</div>

Purely a Joke: If you put it into Reverse, you would be going in Reverse up the Hill.... which is exactly the title of another Post that is going on right now.... :p

Seriously: What the others said is correct.