1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Silver, #9, 1/31/04, Mt. Kisco, NY - Worried

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by coondognd, Mar 14, 2004.

1. coondognd

coondognd New Member

Date Ordered: 1/31/04
    Dealer Ordered From: Toyota North, Mt. Kisco, NY
    Timeframe given for delivery: August 04 (!)
    Color: Sliver
    Option Package: #9
    Your # on Dealer's Waiting List: Not given

Hey everybody,

I'm really excited about getting a Prius, but I'm already suffering from buyer's remorse. Well, more accurately, I'm suffering from buyer's fear. I wasn't very comfortable with my salesman, but I was so anxious to get on the list that I went ahead and put down my deposit anyway. But now I'm paranoid that he might have me pegged as a "sucker". Does anyone have any input as to the quote I got (below), or the options that were "included"?

Here are the package codes written on the receipt I got with my deposit, and what I think they mean (based on internet searching):

FE - Meets Emissions Codes
    BC - Package #9
    CF - Floor Mats
    3Z - First Aid Kit
    V2 - Glass Breakage Sensor

The price quoted was $26,324. Add in Tax ($1842) Inspection ($10), Registration ($46), and "Other" ($45), it came to $28,287

I've looked around, and it looks like I can get the get the floor mats on my own much cheaper (I think they wanted $200 at the dealer), so I'll probably drop that option. Do you all think the Glass Breakage Sensor is worth getting? Can I install one myself for less? The first aid kit is only about $30, I think, but I might drop that just out of principle, since the salesman didn't mention it but will probably charge me for it.

Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for in terms of sneaky fees the dealer might try to add on? This is my first new car, so I'm not familiar with what he might try.

Thanks!
    Kevin

2. ammiels

ammiels New Member

Kevin, I live in Brewster and got my car in NYC 12/12/03, ordered end of July for MSRP-$500 Putnam tax was $1926 , lic and title $92.50, NYS inspect fee $10, "processing " fee $20. The first aid kit is a joke, Except that it velcros in a handy spot the contents worth $5 and only good for cuts and scrapes. I declined the locking wheel nuts but they were there. I declined the mats, but they were there I asked for the rear bumper protector, but it was not. I have the glass breakage thingy, but don't know how to test it and doubt it would be effective anyway. I ordered a white AM but am ecstatic with my red BC. All this dissipates rapidly once you get the car. It really is a joy, even tho' mine is minor accident prone. Fortunately never below the primer.

3. cybele

cybele New Member

You sound like you're in good shape.

You placed a request for your car, but until it actually arrives you've probably got some wiggle room.

Your price sounds good.
    Base car: 19995.00 (actually it may be $300 higher on delivery, but you'll get a rebate from Toyota if your order is in the computer)
    BC Option Pkg: 5245.00
    FE - Meets Emissions Codes - n/c
    CF - Floor Mats - $184
    3Z - First Aid Kit - $29
    V2 - Glass Breakage Sensor - $149

You can get breakdowns here at in the Knowledge Base.

I get $25,602 when I add all those up. But I don't have the destination charge in there (I don't know what it is for NY) so it sounds as if they're within a few hundred of MSRP.

If you don't want the GBS tell them before they install it. You can always give them the mats back at delivery since they're not really an "installed" item. You can find them cheaper on the internet or just buy them from the local Target or Costco as others have suggested. I wanted the mats and the cargo net and will probably have the rear bumper guard put on at some point.

I live in Los Angeles and have never had a security system on my car. I think they're rather a nuisance - I've not had my car broken into any more or less often than anyone else I know. And I don't wake my neighbors up at all hours.

I've never seen the first aid kit and I don't think it sounds appealing. But again, it's probably nothing to quibble over. Once you get the car you'll be so pleased with everything else.

Other things to worry about? At delivery they'll probably try to sell you prepaid maintenance and an extended warranty. You can wait for three years to decide on the warranty.

4. coondognd

coondognd New Member

Ammiel and cybele,
    Thanks so much. You've put my mind at ease. I can't wait to get mine, and I'm glad to hear you both seem to be enjoying yours!

Kevin

5. coondognd

coondognd New Member

I emailed my salesman the other day. I didn't have is email address, so I just guessed, based on the other addresses on their website. I don't think I got it right, but it got through to someone there. I asked where I was on the list, and about how many comparable Priuses (Priuii?) they're getting a month. Here was the reply I got:

--------------------------------------------------------
    We still anticipate filling your order as indicated on your reservation to purchase (approximately August '04). We don't receive the same number of vehicles with the same options each month, but on average, we're getting about 5 per month with the BC package. Availability may improve as the factory is making every effort to increase production.

We will pass along any information about your order as it becomes available to us from the factory. You should also receive some correspondence from Toyota regarding your order in the near future.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any addition questions!
    ----------------------------------------------------------

I would have like to know my number on the wait list, but overall I was happy with this reply (which came less than an hour after I sent my misdirected email). So now I've gone from regretting choosing this dealership, to being "okay" with it, and now I'm actually happy with them.

Kevin

6. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kevin,
    I could never get the wait list information from my dealer, other than him telling me that, "I've got a stack of about 30 orders just for me, and you're moving up."
    I got the car about a month after he "guessed" it would be there. All in all, I was extremely pleased with the dealer and the transaction. The dealer took about an hour to explain how to operate the car, and he knew what he was talking about. The finance guy tried to sell me the extended warranty, but as soon as I said no, he stopped. I paid exactly MSRP, paid for the mats, and I'm glad I have them. The car is great.
    I hope your experience is as good as mine.

7. gene

gene Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    When I went in to visit my dealer I was able to get them to show me the waiting list, so I could see exactly where I was on it. While I'm a huge fan of email, calling or visiting is probably your best bet if you really want to know.

I'd definitely start to be more (politely) pushy about it as it gets closer to expected delivery, especially if you "need" the car.

8. ammiels

ammiels New Member

Remember that where you buy the car is not related to where you get it serviced.

9. coondognd

coondognd New Member

Just a quick update:

I'm still waiting for my Prius, and I'm hoping for a 2005 model at this point. I called the dealer back in August (the month they originally estimated), and they said I'll be lucky if I have it by the end of the year.

So the wait continues... On the plus side, it's given me time to keep an occasionally updated blog about the whole process: http://www.kevincooney.com/blogs/archives/...s/cat_prius.php

No need to reply back to this, I'm just venting, really, and trying to help others in the waiting period have something to compare against.

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You need to change our tag line Kevin. It should now read (Future) Silver Prius #6 (Or change it to BC :) ) owner because by now anything coming in is a 2005.

11. coondognd

coondognd New Member

Oh sweet lord, this is ridiculous. I need to vent:

I called my dealership today, and found out that my salesman is "no longer with the dealership." Great. Actually, okay, I really didn't trust him, anyway, so maybe this isn't so bad.

But no. I find out that he'd been basically lying to me for 10 months now, and they're only getting about 1 Prius a month (according to my new salesman), and that I'm still "nowhere near" getting the car. Hey gave me three options:

1) If I'm willing to pay a "premium" (approx $5000), they'll be able to track one down for me (no timeline given). I turned that down, since that's about as shady as it comes.
    2) Continue to wait
    3) Get a refund.

I told him I'd continue to wait, and I got off the phone. I'd like to get my deposit back and disassociate with this place ASAP. However, I don't want to start over on another dealer's list and admit that I just wasted 10 months.

So I called another dealer, and asked if I could switch to them without losing my place, but they really didn't seem to think this was possible, but that I can get on their 2005 list as a new customer and have one "within a few weeks." I don't know if I buy that.

Any suggestions?

12. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: Hi Kevin

You need to check around. There are many dealers who are selling at MSRP (NO DEALER MARKUPS) and have Prius either in stock or arriving right away. Your deposit should be refundable from your current dealer. You might have to fly to the dealer and drive back home, but for the possible $$ saved that's no big deal.

Check on PriusOnline.com (The For Sale area) and the For Sale area on this site as well. Actually some dealers also list their stock on eBay Motors. OK - Don't Laugh. I bought my slightly used Prius (4,500 miles) on eBay from a Toyota employee - an altogether satisfactory transaction. My Prius was literally like new.

13. coondognd

coondognd New Member

Charles,
    Thanks for the tips. I'll check those out.

Kevin

14. DanH

DanH New Member

Yes, Pick door number three!

Also I have seen on this board people that have emailed every dealer in a certain radius of their location and had a car in just about a week. If the DC area isn't too far for you I have seen a couple of dealers in that area getting lots of cars in each allocation and you could probably get one in 30 days or so with them.

15. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are definitely places you can get a Prius in a relatively short period of time (anywhere from a few days to 3 months) but you might have to be willing to drive a distance or be flexible on package/options. Definitely don't pay the premium at your current dealership. The second dealership may really be able to get you one in a few weeks, and it might not hurt to put your name down (assuming the deposit is refundable, etc). You can leave your deposity with your current dealership on the off chance they come up with a car for you and wait until you find another car to ask for your money back. In addition to PriusOnline, dealers occasionally post on the Yahoo groups, that's where I found the dealership I ultimately bought my car through.

16. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Kevin, i would get my deposit back proto and find another dealer. Check ebay there are a few (off and on) that are availible, just call the dealers instead of going thru the auction thing and ask if they'll seel it for msrp. Also check www.priusonline.com, they have a for sale section and some dealers claim they have Prius for msrp. Again call and nail them down. I got mine in West Va. and live in Pa. The travel to get it is half the fun LOL.

17. coondognd

coondognd New Member

An update for anyone playing along (no need to reply, really):

I decided to give my dealer another chance, so I sent them an email requesting the status of my order, and mentioned that I'm thinking of contacting Toyota and the Better Business Bureau with my experiences. I got a response a few hours later apologizing for the situation, and promising a complete status the next business day.

True to their word, they got back to me, and gave me a delivery date of January 6th. So the end is in sight.

So while I didn't have the best experience with this dealer, I do give them credit for acting quickly once I spoke up.

Of course, let's see what happens when the delivery date rolls around.

18. coondognd

coondognd New Member

As a final update to this thread, our Prius arrived last night -- only 50 weeks and three missed delivery estimates.

It was worth the wait.

19. tag

tag Senior Member

Congrats, coondog! :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coondognd\";p=\"63561)</div>
    Got to be the record (or real close)!

20. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Sir, my hat's off to you. You have the patience of Job!