1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Silver Bullet is in the garage!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by skcskcskc, Jan 27, 2006.

1. skcskcskc

skcskcskc New Member

I got the call from my contact at Toyota of Knoxville (TN) today; he said that he had bad news! I assumed that my order had fell through the cracks; however, he was only kidding and asked me if I could pick it up at 6 pm. I was expecting to wait another couple of weeks. After the initial shock, I was ready to go get it. The 06 Silver Prius (Package #4) was stunning - even more than I ever expected. I was blown away. I was suppose to get a pretty good deal since my son-in-law is a salesman at a nearby dealer and good friends with a primary at this car dealer. I don't think that I quite got the deal hinted at previuosly, but I just wanted the whole buying experience to be over. I rejected the extended warranty, paint protectant treatment, prepaid maintenance, etc., etc., etc. I think that I ended up paying a few hundred over the MSRP which apparently is pretty good in my area. All in all, it was not a bad experience. My initial drive (after dark) was somewhat overwhelming. I had only driven a Prius of a friend at work and then only a few miles. I actually averaged about 43.5 MPG on the 20-mile trip home. It was somewhat distracting to drive with that interesting fuel/mileage information displayed. I really noticed the difference between upgrades and downgrades. It would have been better to have my first extended drive experience in the daylight. Fortunately, I had learned enough on PRIUSCHAT to wonder home without incident. Thanks for my great education on this site.

Next, I must install of of the items that I purchased while waiting for this great vehicle, including (1) mud guards, (2) bug deflector, (3) side moulding, (4) rubber rear bumper guard, (5) window deflectors, (6) clear floor mats to cover factory ones, (7) all of the priushood stuff that is available, (8) front window shade, (9) wheelskin, and front window shade. I purchased most everything from sponsors on this site (got to support this great site). I can't decide about the clear bra. Installers don't seem to be readily available in my area. I think that I'll just go with the bug deflector. I may live to regret this decision. This car is so "stunning" that I'm almost afraid to get it out there with the elements!

Steve

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Give you joy of it. Enjoy your new ride. Nice colour btw.

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations!!! :)

4. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, you say that to all the guys. Hi ho silver and away!

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    congrats!

Silver is the one I'm after too. I might have to let it slide to white in order to get one before Christmas... but silver is what I'm after!

6. skcskcskc

skcskcskc New Member

This is the topic starter. I am very impressed with the quality and beauty of the floor mats. I'm glad that I got them and clear covers to protect them. All in all, everything looks fantastic on this car! It is even better than I expected.

Steve

7. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How do the clear floormat covers look? Are they plastic? Do you have any pictures you can post? I'd like to check those out...never seen/heard of them before. :)

8. skcskcskc

skcskcskc New Member

Rancid 13

I have not put them in yet. I was going to show the raw unit to a few friends before starting my appearance/protection mods. I have a 12 1/2 year old Mercury Villager Van, and the original carpeted mats are the only item that is not in pristine condition. Based on that experience, I want to protect these new ones for as long as possible. I got mine (called clear mat protectors with a honeycomb pattern) from AutoSport. I got a pair for the front ($49.95 total), 1-piece rear mat ($49.95), and one for the cargo area ($79.95). Shipping was $4.95 for a total of $179.80. Rather expensive, but I now have the nice factory mats plus all-weather without changing anything out. These clears ones are very thick and heavy. I suspect that the factory ones will still look good in a decade or so! I'll post some pictures after installation, along with my thoughts on their appearance. I 'll use them even if I don't like them - I've got too much money invested.

Steve

9. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the info! That my be something I'm interested in purchasing as well. The carpet and upholstery in my 10-year old Saturn look pretty darned good for a vehicle with 179K miles on it, but the floor mats are a whole other story. Stained to the brim with who knows what (oil, mud, spilled soda?) and they will never be anywhere near clean again.

10. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Steve, if you put all that stuff on your car, you may never get over 31 MPG.

11. skcskcskc

skcskcskc New Member

This is the topic starter again, and I wanted to summarize my experiences during first two weeks.

I love this vehicle. I have added: (1) clear floor mat covers in front and rear (with dimples to collect water and debry - I originally also got a similar cargo mat, but returned and ordered a nice plastic cargo tray with lip), (2) all available priushood black leather covers, (3) black leather wheelskin cover, (4) mud guards, (5) bug deflector - checked into clear bra, but difficult to find qualified installer in my area; I actually think the bug deflector looks great and adds some contrast, (5) black side moulding - also adds nice contrast, (6) black rubber bumper protector - also adds nice contrast, (7) black pearl license plate holder, and (8) WeatherTech window deflectors. Everyone thinks the car looks fantastic. I used site sponsors to purchase most everything, and members of this forum suggested most of the items. Thanks to everyone here!

As for performance, on my first tank of gas the MFD indicated 50.4 mpg, and on the second tank it shows 52.3 for the first 200 miles. My calulation for the first tank yielded only 45.5 mpg (I suspect that I filled up the tank closer to maximum capacity than the dealer). I drive part of my 32-mile commute at speeds approaching 70 mph. I have not adjusted tire pressure to higher values yet. I'm very impressed with mpg, especially considering that we are in our coldest part of the winter.

All in all, I'm totally impressed and so glad that I pursued this treasure. I look forward to many years of pleasurable driving and participation on this "most excellent" forum!

Steve

12. skcskcskc

skcskcskc New Member

I forgot to mention front and rear Wet Okole seat covers! These are also fantastic.

For Jack 06, I got over 50 mpg with all of my add-ons!

Steve