1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Silver still strong but losing ground

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Troy, Michigan – Silver's six-year reign as the top vehicle colour choice worldwide is being challenged by colour-infused grey and a stronger, bolder blue, reports DuPont Automotive's 2005 Color Popularity Report. As many as 40 per cent of consumers are likely to switch car brands if they can't get the colour they want.

Now in its 53rd year, the DuPont Automotive Color Popularity Report names the top vehicle colours offered by the world's automobile manufacturers, as chosen by consumers. Silver is waning but still holds the top spot, while medium-dark grey has made a gain in popularity, especially in complex formulations that show an infusion of other colours. Black, often with metallic effects, strengthened as the second most popular colour in Europe, and was top among luxury vehicles there. Over the next few years, DuPont says that jet black will be increasingly replaced with black metallic in North America.

DuPont reports that upcoming trends will be silver tinted with blue, green or light brown metallic; grey infused with red, blue and purple; stronger chromatic colour in light, medium and dark blue; reds crossed with orange; new colour highlights and grey effects in deep brown; increasing acceptance of bright yellow and orange; and more standout colours on small vehicles.

In North America, the ten most popular colours in order are silver, white/white pearl, grey, blue, black, red, light brown, green, yellow/gold and "others".

In Europe, the top ten are silver, black, grey, blue, white/white pearl, red, green, light brown, yellow/gold and "others". In South America it's silver, black, grey, white/white pearl, red, blue, light brown, green, yellow/orange and "others", while buyers in Asia preferred silver, white/white pearl, black, grey, blue, red, green, yellow/gold, light brown and "others".

Among vehicle types, the top colours were silver for luxury, intermediate and compact/sport vehicles, and white/white pearl for light trucks and SUVs.

Source: CanadianDriver

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Cool, thanks!

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Six year reign? That picture of Silver I just posted is from 1940! Sadly, yes, retirement is near. But Silver's actually quite looking forward to it. You know what happens to old racehorses, don't you? The glue factory?! Bite your tongue- that's for farm horses who can't pull the plow anymore. Silver's going to the stud farm! Hi! How YO doin'?

4. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I miss the 60s colors. Plum crazy, anti establish mint, monarch yellow, and brilliant orange.
    Silver is BORING! Look around ...thats all you see any more. That's why I bought a Salsa Red prius. Where are my sun glasses.
    -Paul R. Haller- B)

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate to break it to ya, Paul, but some of those 60s colours were only in your mind, if ya know what I mean. ;)

6. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :blink: :blink: I thought I had some intact brain cells still left... maybe not!! No, I have a Calypso Corale <brilliant orange> 1970 GTO parked next to my salsa red prius.
    -Paul R. Haller- :)

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear ya. Purple haze is *still* my favourite. :rolleyes: