1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Silverado hybrid

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jfschultz, May 9, 2004.

1. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Any one else catch the Cartalk guys blasting GM on their poor hybrid implementation?

2. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, but I can already hear the whining in the halls of GM, when that truck proves to be another fantastically miserable failure for that sorry excuse of a carmaker. 1 mpg improvement in their system is a laugh. They would have been better off to put a diesel engine under the hood. :roll:

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With all the freaking out by the news media during last winter about Prius not achieving EPA estimates, it's extremely clear that the general public will not understand the teeny-tiny MPG improvement of that "less than mild" hybrid system. For that matter, they won't even be able accurately measure the actual data.

That really makes me wonder what the heck will happen. Prius owners, including myself, are achieving the EPA estimates now. I doubt any reporter would ever admit their own misreporting, but... do you think any will lash out at others for jumping to conclusions by falsely accusing Prius of not delivering?

And then, of course, we have to deal with the misconception that all hybrids are cleaner than traditional vehicles. They aren't. People need to be taught the meaning of the SULEV and PZEV emission rating labels, informing them that they are significantly cleaner than ULEV. Reducing smog-forming emissions has absolutely nothing to do with increased efficiency. But many people think it does.

4. jimvitz

jimvitz Junior Member

Yep - They were hilarious. Especially their "One mile per gallon improvement" routine making fun of GM's hybrid improvement over their conventional car's mpg. :lol:

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've begun to wonder if the auto industry won't be forced to start creating better definitions of "hybrids"--Kinda like the PZEV, SULEV thing to clarify how much of a 'hybrid' something is. The whole Silverado thing is just a total farce it makes me sick. The bottom line being that it will dilute the importance of the whole hybrid concept if people start considering that a hybrid then seeing that "it doesn't work"!

And like you say, look at the numbers now, most of us that've had our Prius for more than 3-4 months are routinely and EASILY exceeding EPA estimates--how many articles are you seeing that say that. All we see are the reviews with 10 different drivers in the same car over a 1 week period with no experience at all driving a Prius, not concept of learning the different technique and all reporting 44mpg--that's equal to my second lowest tank I've ever had in 6+ months!!! Including winter driving.

BTW, John, I thought the latest Twin Cities article you were prominantly quoted in was quite good, it really seemed like that reporter wanted to find the good side of hybrids and shed some light on real world experiences.

6. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Cartalk is my favorite radio show and they are right on the money. They blasted GM's pitiful effort at a hybrid and their constant press releases on hydrogen powered cars. We may eventually see H2 cars, but at this rate GM will be extinct when they arrive.

They also noted that Ford keeps announcing a hybrid Escape, but delaying it. They gave them the benefit of doubt and said that they hoped they were trying to get it right before the introduced them and then had to recall the vehicle.

Toyota has built a winner.

Paul

7. siai

siai Junior Member

GM's already got an H2----Hummer that is----probably gets similar fuel economy to the new hydrogen/fuelcell cars they envision. I agree---on their current path, GM will continue to refine cupholder design and do nothing tangible until they cease to exist as a viable automobile manufacturer.