1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Silverstars

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, so the Silverstars work as advertised. They're bright, they're white and they make your car look cool and your stock foglights even uglier.

Great. Except that my left one blew last month (11th month) and my right side blew this past weekend. Both are covered under warranty so I have a new set of bulbs. The thing is, if the lifetime of these bulbs are so short, there's no point buying another set when these blow out (touch wood) next year.

Short of HID conversions (not kits) which is pricey, what other options are there? Yes, whiter light would be nice but bulb life is a concern too. The rubber neck that covers the headlight is a pita to remove every time I have to replace the bulbs.

PIAA? Raybrig? Polarg?

2. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All "hyper white" or halogen bulbs outputting over 3500k will have shorter lives than the OEM bulbs.

On previous cars I have tried really cheap generic ones, Nokia, Raybrig, Polarg, PIAA, Silverstars, and even MTEC.

In order of longest life:
    PIAA (Xtreme White)
    MTEC (Cheap, but better than Nokia)
    Polarg
    Silverstars
    Raybrig

I can't exactly tell you how many months they will last you since that is dependent on your usage. What can I say...expect to replace aftermarket halogen bulbs once or even twice a year. In fact, I recommend that you carry spare headlight bulbs in your trunk (OEMs or another set)... you just never know if those halogens will go out in the middle of a forrest.

Edit: Don't try the PIAA Super Plasma. It actually seemed to produce less light than the OEM bulbs and when directly stared at them they seemed a bit purple to me.

3. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Replacing bulbs like that is just not worth the hassle. I upgraded to the HID replacement kit from Pilot and they have been in my 2003 Accord since it was brand new without a problem and they look and work great. This is a true HID with a ballast, not some blue bulbs.

I just did the HID foglights on my Prius and the installation was easy, .5 hour start to finish. Big difference compared to the stock bulbs and they now match the headlights in intensity and color. That kit was $165. Same kit DocVijay used.

Just yesterday I bought a Pilot set for my Ridgeline for both the head and foglights. The headlight kit has a HID low beam and a halogen high beam. The headlight kit was $185 and the foglight kit was $165. I will install them this weekend.

The easiest way to do these is just to pull the front bumper cover off-very easy on all of these new cars with bumper covers. Typically a few bolts that are very easy to get to and then the cover just pops off. Allows you to mount the ballasts nicely. I used 3M double stick molding tape and zip-ties. That way I do not have to drill any holes. As a note of caution, make sure to have a blanket or moving pad on the ground to set your bumper cover on so you do not scratch it by accident.

If you want the bright, real light, you have to go HID. Good luck.

4. c4

c4 Active Member

I don't know how people can say that the silverstars are "white", they really do look very blue to me.. I have night contrast issues, so I can't see at night if the light is too blue, and oncoming cars with blue tinted light cause me an undue amount of glare..

Also, go and look at the datasheets on the Sylvania web site, the Silverstars have shorter lifetimes by a factor of 10 or more (ie, a Silverstar has lifetime rated in tens of hours, a "high brightness" halogen such as the XtraVision (which is supposedly the same as the European "non-blue" Silverstar) in hundreds of hours, and a standard halogen in thousands of hours.. This is not suprising in any ways because if you think about how these things work, they are increasing the blue content by blocking the transmission of the other wavelengths of light, so the bulbs have to burn hotter to make up for the lost output and thus have commensurately shorter lives.. The only ones benefitting from these bulbs are the manufacturers- they don't cost any more to make than a standard bulb, but they can charge double the retail price, and they have to be replaced much more often- Sylvania is laughing all the way to the bank..

If you want a brighter bulb, both the XV and the competing GE Nighthawk bulbs are slightly higher in color temperature, but without the annoying blue tint on the glass.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ Nov 14 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]348730[/snapback]</div>
    It's funny how something becomes hip because status cars have it (HID lights) and then the folks who don't have it (but want other people to *think* that they do) rush out and spend additional money to replace something that works fine (but isn't cool), just to impress others who may or may not even care in the first place...

Oh, but this is really about night-driving safety...and has nothing to do with that...right...?
    [smile]

6. hjon71

hjon71 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 14 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]349091[/snapback]</div>

I think you have hit the nail on the head.
    It's so obvious that it's hard for some to see,
    kinda like the forest being hidden because of all the trees.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Nov 13 2006, 11:01 PM) [snapback]348611[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. So basically I should stick with stock then lol.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Nov 14 2006, 05:59 AM) [snapback]348649[/snapback]</div>
    I can't go HIDs. The Prius has a really large headlight area and I don't want to create glare for oncoming traffic like I've seen on those RSXs with HID kits (you just see this bright purple-ish oval).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 14 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]349091[/snapback]</div>
    I chose the Silverstars because they do produce a white light and I feel more comfortable in the dark. Granted, my dad's 02 Camry has a better light pattern than the Prius but the Prius has a pretty good pattern for a dual bulb system. If I had the money, I'd do a full HID conversion using YOUR Prius headlights from the States, but I don't.

Btw, no way in hell can you mistake Silverstars for HIDs. I've seen several US Prius up here with HIDs and all I see is a thin blue line and absolutely no glare (unlike those projector HIDs where you still see a nice small circle of light)

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: I've tried GE Nighthawks on my Dad's Camry since his stock bulbs finally blew out. They're slightly cheaper than the Silverstars and definitely not as white (seem to have a slight purple tint). We'll see how those go.

I gotta find a place that sells the PIAAs that silentak1 suggested. Lordco maybe?

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Traded up from '04 Pkg 8 to '07 Touring Pkg 6 in November.

I do like the HID's very much because of the wide field of light - they light both 'curb sides' of the road or street very well. I've had no 'flashing' for blinding oncoming cars, so the alignment must be OK. The contrast with the Halogen fogs is rather strange - the Halogens look almost orange in comparison - no big deal since I really don't see much likelyhood of using the fogs. I find it interesting that the HIDs consume only 35 watts, while the Haolgens run 60 watts bright/ 55 dim.

My reservations on the HIDs: Cost or replacement bulbs and Toyota's sending you to a dealer to replace them when they burn out.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 11 2007, 05:33 PM) [snapback]374359[/snapback]</div>
    Burnaby Auto Parts? Princess Auto?

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Jan 11 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]374386[/snapback]</div>
    I can't do an HID conversion because it'll create too much glare given our headlight system.

Stopped behind a car at night, the halogens cut off JUST at the top of the trunk of the car (sedan) in front. That means, simply one passenger in the back and that low beam is shooting straight into the eyes of oncoming traffic. This is in comparison to my dad's Camry where the "cut off" of the low beam is closer to the licence plate on the trunklid.

I've been flashed every time I have 3 passengers in the back.

12. fphinney

fphinney Member

I've got an '06 Prius with HID headlights. I, too, hate those anemic foglights! By comparison, they need improving.

I picked up some of those HIR halogens. Big waste of money! Couldn't tell any difference.

Figured that I would now have to bring out some 'bigger guns'. I next picked up some PIAA Xtreme Super Whites, 125 watts. (I found a pretty good deal by using Google's Froggle.) Those made a DIFFERENCE! In fact, oncoming cars were flashing their high beams at me. (Found out later that one bulb wasn't mounted correctly.)

Then another prob. surfaced. They quit working! I checked the fuse - it was OK. I am at a loss, now.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fphinney @ Jan 11 2007, 11:31 PM) [snapback]374578[/snapback]</div>
    Still haven't figured that out yet, eh?

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 12 2007, 02:19 AM) [snapback]374576[/snapback]</div>
    I know you've recently had an "adventure" with the garage door, but try this:

Either drive into the garage or back in, it depends on where you prefer to apply masking tape. Briefly turn on the headlights, you'll notice the Prius has a very sharp low beam cut-off. Apply a strip of masking tape along each cut-off line. Turn the headlights off, save the battery.

Now pop the hood - bonnet - and turn the headlights back on again. Crank the headlights down about two cm.

If you routinely drive with passengers, especially husky ones in the rear, you may want to crank the beams down further.

And *very* carefully back out of that garage.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Jan 12 2007, 07:51 AM) [snapback]374649[/snapback]</div>
    lol. I always back into the garage hence the garage incident.

I don't ride with passengers in the back very often. I'll take the headlight adjustment suggestion into consideration.

All I need is a Phillips screwdriver right?

16. c4

c4 Active Member

Just a Phillips, but it's got to have a *long* shaft to reach the adjustment; nothing I had would reach and I checked every hardware store around and they didn't sell cheapies in that length, and I wasn't about to spend $10 on a long "premium" screwdriver, or $50 for a set, for just one adjustment, so I ended up grabbing a $0.50 bit from the drywall bit bin and brazing it to a long piece of bar stock (because a magnetic bit holder is too thick to get past the plastic guides), which worked very well for the purpose..

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ Jan 15 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]375813[/snapback]</div>
    I also don't have a super-long Philips, and refused to buy one just for a once-or-twice use.

However, I have a great assortment of socket sets, and a 1/4 ratchet and either a 6mm or 8mm socket - I forget now which is was - worked just fine. It's a bit of a tight fit onto the adjuster bolt but once you have the socket on, very easy to crank the aim up and down.

18. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I just saw the commercial on TV for the silverstar bulbs. It showed a display of how much further one should be able to see down the road with these head lights, and how much wider they would illuminate the road. It made no mention, of course, that they would burn out in just a few months!! :D I guess they are counting on people not realizing that at the time of purchase. Is there any warranty with them that would allow for replacements within say a 12 month period or so??

They sure look like a good idea, but I'm not going to be changing bulbs every 6 months. :rolleyes:

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Jan 17 2007, 01:16 AM) [snapback]377049[/snapback]</div>
    Don't know but Canadian Tire offers a 1-year warranty on them. Both were replaced under warranty.

20. angelnva30k

angelnva30k New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: HID Foglight Replacement....

Can anyone or does anyone know/have a diagram on how to replace bulbs or get to them should I say? While Im thinking about it, Thanks again for all the info...