1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Simple Fuel Consumption Converter Calculator.

Discussion in 'The File Library' started by uart, Sep 24, 2009.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here's my simple fuel consumption calculator and converter. It's very useful for people who use units other than the US standards of US gallon and Miles when comparing results with others.

- Converts between all common fuel consumption units, MPG US, MPG UK, Km/L and L per 100k.

- Converts volume in Litres, US Gallons and UK Gallons.

- Converts distance in Miles and Km.

Should run on any Windows computer (Windows 95 through to Windows 7). Just unzip the exe file to any folder and make a shortcut to the desktop (or unzip it directly to the desktop if you prefer).

To use the program just enter your data into any one of the fields (eg MPG US) and when you exit that field all the other relevant fields (eg MPG UK, L per 100k etc) will automatically update with the correct conversion. It works the same way for the fuel volume and distance fields which are on an optional pop-out panel (see screenshot). If you've entered fuel volume and distance data then you can optionally click the "calculate" button to compute the fuel consumption in all four available measurement units.

BTW. This program is meant to be non-intrusive on your system. It does not need to "install" itself on your computer to run. It does not write anything to the hard drive (apart from the program file itself) nor does it make any changes to the system registry (or anything else for that matter). So you can use it with peace of mind. :)

Attached Files:

sidecar, Neno, navguy12 and 3 others like this.
  2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Minor update : Added temperature conversion (C to/from F)

1 person likes this.
  3. cwa

cwa Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. It is a little beauty.

4. danapvick

danapvick New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i've been told by my dealer that i must refil my gas tank as soon as possilbe after the low tank indicator comes on - anyone know about that? i'm a new owner of a 2009 prius.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The Google calculator is pretty spiffy. You type into the location (URL) field.
    E.g type "30 km/liter in mpg" or
    "98F in C" or
    "3 liters per 100 kilometers in mpg"

An amazing number of conversions are known, and Google is pretty astute at figuring out what units are being used. The real magic happens with compound unit conversions, but that is a little hit or miss. E.g "8 NIS per litre in $/gallon"

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct, and actually, you would be well advised to fill up when you are down to 2 pips (bars). you don't want to forget and run out of gas. it's not the end of the world, but it is more detrimental than to a regular car. don't wait for the indicator!:)

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While I have never had a Gen2, numerous readers who do have described considerable tank variability due it its bladder, to the point that even the low tank indicator is not safe in some particular cars in certain weather conditions. The fuel gauge is known somewhat affectionately as a 'guess gauge'.

This problem doesn't afflict all Gen2 owners. But until you get comfortable that your particular car has a tank that displays consistent refill behavior, particularly in cold weather, it is safer to fill up by 2 bars. Let those of us with bladderless models take the risks of running lower.

8. jared1216

jared1216 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for putting this together!

9. robrae

robrae New Member

question

How do I know what generation of Prius I have? It is a 2007. My Prius has almost 70,000 miles on it and I have had it for 2 years. How long does the battery last? Should I be expecting some high cost maintenance soon? What miles per gallon do others who own a 07 get? Mine is usually 39 mpg. I use Ethanol since I am from Iowa. :rockon: