1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Simple question - local government decals

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tomel, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Tomel

Tomel New Member

Is there some secret method to correctly apply a local government decal to the windshield. You know - straight, not wrinkled and in the proper position.

Where I live, we have these cellophane-like stickers that are affected by static electricity when you get them near the windshield. Once the windshield "grabs" the decal, there is no way to re-position it without destroying it. The last one I tried to put on ended up angled at 45 degrees, about 3 inches above and 3 inchres to the right of my inspection sticker. I had to live with that for a year. Looked like my 18-month old graddaughter had applied it for me (come to think of it she might have fun putting one on the new '06 Pri I have on order -- and she might actually do a better job than me).

2. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

I do not have any experience applying government decal stickers onto vehicles. However, I do a lot of crafting and many things involve sticking items down precisely. Here's a tip I've perfected:

1. Place your sticky item onto a piece of waxed paper.
    2. Temporarily lay the sticker in place while still on the waxed paper to judge positioning.
    3. Slowly pull the waxed paper evenly off either the top half or bottom half of your sticky item (whichever is the most critical to line up) by folding the waxed paper back behind the sticky item.
    4. Position and stick down the uncovered portion.
    5. Slowly pull the rest of the waxed paper off the rest of your sticky item, press it lightly in place, and smooth it from the center out in all directions pressly firmly.

Now, I do this all the time and nothing I use ever stays stuck on the waxed paper. However, I do recommend testing the excess portion of any decal on the waxed paper first. If you do not have any excess around your decal, then lightly try the corner of your decal before attempting my instructions above.