1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Since I'm getting almost 60mpg in the Prius, what can I get in the Miata??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MagneticGrayIndy, Jun 11, 2008.

1. MagneticGrayIndy

MagneticGrayIndy 06Prius;94M Miata;65Rambler770

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :rolleyes: Since I've really started watching my MPG's, I've been averaging almost 60mpg in my Prius.. Reset the display today with a full tank, only a short trip home after that (and the grocery) but 80.8 on that trip home!!

Anyway, got me thinking.... I know it's a normal old ICE, but if I really try - what kind of mileage can I get out of one tank in my 94 Miata with 95k on it?? So far, so good... 1/2 tank and over 200 miles logged... the Miata has a 12.7gal tank. It's amazing how much any driver can effect there MPG's if they really try..

Will keep you posted on the final outcome!

2. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ok, how do you get 60 MPG?
    are you driving on flat road?
    what state you are in?

3. MagneticGrayIndy

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    lol.. I'm in Indianapolis. It's pretty flat as far as cities go. The Prius is used as an errand car.. my husband takes the bus two miles downtown to work and I don't work much outside the home. So most trips are medium (5-20miles) range and I installed an EV button to tweak the mileage here and there. Honestly, that doesn't make a big difference; it's mostly in the technique.

Before I was given info on how to drive a hybrid, we rarely saw 45mpg. Since then, our mileage has improved amazingly! I filled up this afternoon (it was at 57.7 since last fill up), reset the mpg's, went to the grocery and then drove approx 4-5 miles home. I got 80.8mpg on that trip home! I freakin' LOVE this car!

Mostly, it's gliding as much as possible, accelerating moderately, staying off interstate when possible and tricking it into electric propulsion as much as possible (getting up to speed letting off gas.. slowly giving it "gas" to just go on electric and keeping a constant speed).

Also, I use the air/heat as little as possible (still keeping comfortable), and rarely use it on "auto".. though I love that feature. Now I want a true EV so I don't have to use ANY gas.

4. MagneticGrayIndy

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    oh.. btw.. A first generation Miata (94 saw a slight increase in horsepower and a slight decrease to mpg) can generally get 22/30 city/highway if in decent condition and of course depending on location and driving style. I'm hoping to get over 30mpg out of this tank..

then I'll go back to driving the Miata the way it was intended! Hey, on a twisty road with a breeze through my hair... I can hear a voice saying "gun it.. accelerate through the turn.. USE MY GEARS!"

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The simplest guess would be multiply your Prius mpg by the ratio of the EPA test values. But as your most recent post indicates, you probably won't be driving the Miata in a Priusy way (neither would I).