1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Siri® Eyes Free for in my Prius 2012 doesn't work for me

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by ErikaM, Sep 21, 2018.

1. ErikaM

ErikaM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I have followed directions and watched youtube videos but i cannot access the sir eyes-free functions. Apparently, I should press the steering wheel's "phone off-hook button" and the green microphone should show up on my screen. But it does not. I thought maybe i needed to update the software but i called Toyotoa and there is no update for Prius V 2012.

I downloaded the Entune app. Which simply supplies apps like "I heart radio" very obsolete apps.
    I want a way to use Spotify on my screen if its possible.

Anyone have any suggestions? It bothers me so much that there's no button to connect to Siri!

It also bothers me that when i use my Bluetooth and siri on my iPhone that it takes the car FOREVER to be ready for my command.

thanks for all suggestions!

new owner of old prius.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of it, i'll be watching to learn something new as well. all the best!(y)

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There was a software update to the software in the multi-function display that came out maybe a year or so after the v was introduced. I got it and it fixed some navigation problems but was not a map data update that you have to pay a ridiculous amount for. Also depending on what iPhone you have and what rev sw it has there were reported connectivity issues. The cause was attributed to non-standard bluetooth in the Apple sw.

So might want to look up both your phone sw version and your MFD sw version. Post them and maybe someone has a match for your pair and can help.

4. ErikaM

ErikaM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    how do you get the update to the MFD?

5. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

You are pressing and "Holding" the off hook button correct? It should "beep" at you after a second. I use it multiple times daily....

Sidenote: If you have Cortana on your phone (Yes it's available on Iphone) It works the same way, except you push the "talk" button on the steering wheel and say call Cortana. (I use both actually, and prefer Cortana to tell you the truth).

6. icyrius

icyrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I was never able to connect my iphone 6's bluetooth to my Prius V. I always use the aux cord to listen to GPS and music.

7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The MFD update was dealer installed around 2013 to resolve a complaint. Free. Look back with the search function and I'm sure you'll see a version number I posted.

8. ErikaM

ErikaM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hmm, not even sure i am holding it down, so I will check that as soon as im back in my car, thanks! Still trying to figure out how to get the update. For instance does anyone have the software that i can copy?

9. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I find this thread confusing. Siri® Eyes Free compatibility was introduced on the Prius v only for its final model year in the U.S. which was 2017: http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Toyota/Prius/Toyota_US%20PriusV_2017.pdf

Some Toyota models (e.g. Camry, Sienna) got Siri® Eyes Free compatibility a model year earlier - 2016.

Siri® Eyes Free compatibility was not offered on the Prius v before the 2017 model year. I've never heard of an update that would provide Siri® Eyes Free compatibility to older Prius v model years.

bisco likes this.
  10. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    On Toyota's, you can access Siri by simply pressing and "holding" the off hook button on your steering wheel. Doesn't matter if you have Entune or not.

11. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Have you personally been successful in getting Siri Eyes Free to work by pressing the off hook button in Toyotas that don't have Siri Eyes Free built into their head units? The 2016 Prius C Two shown in your profile has Siri Eyes Free built into its head unit: http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Toyota/Prius/Toyota_US%20PriusC_2016.pdf

People on the Sienna Chat forum were thoroughly p1ssed when Toyota added Siri Eyes Free to the 2016 Sienna and didn't retrofit it to the 2015 Sienna with a software update even though the head units in the 2015 and 2016 Sienna appear to be identical.

The following web page seems to confirm what I am saying: How to use Siri Eyes Free in your Toyota automobile | iMore

12. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No, don't own an older Toyota. And it appears I am incorrect when I said it works whether or not you have Entune, so right off the bat apologies for the misinformation. To me "Siri Eyes Free" is something every iPhone user gets and I guess I don't see the big deal in getting a green microphone to show up on my head unit. Can't any Bluetooth connected iPhone user just say "Hey Siri" and still get access to her?
    I can do it in an old Nissan Titan with a crappy radio connected to Bluetooth and again, I guess I don't see the big deal in seeing a green microphone on the display when she speaks through your car speakers anyways.

13. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'll tell you what the "big deal" is. Without Siri Eyes Free, an iPhone has to be exposed enough and close enough to be able to hear the driver say "Hey Siri". When my wife's iPhone is in her purse which is inside her "yoga bag" in the luggage area of her car, her iPhone can't hear "Hey Siri" even if she yells it. If her Prius had Siri Eyes Free, Siri could be activated by pressing the off-hook button on the steering wheel regardless of where the phone is in her car because the request to Siri is going through Bluetooth.

bisco likes this.
  14. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well, obviously it's a big deal to you. But to me - if my phone can hear me say "Hey Siri" when it's in the back of my brothers SUV with my RC airplanes then it's no big deal. Maybe, if your wife would like to use this feature, then she should take it out of her bag. It really can't be that hard of a task to complete for her safety.

15. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I asked my wife to use Siri today after "retraining" her iPhone 7 to recognize her current voice saying "Hey Siri".

Sitting in a quiet kitchen with my wife holding her iPhone in her hand or with it laying on the kitchen table, her iPhone recognized her saying "Hey Siri" 100% of the time.

Then we tried doing it in the car with the engine off, the radio playing music at a comfortable volume, my wife in the front seat with her iphone in the outside pocket of her favorite canvas purse which is barely held closed by a single small magnet. Her purse was in the right side front foot well. She repeated "Hey Siri" over and over increasing the volume of her voice each time. Her iPhone didn't respond a single time when it was in her purse.

Then I turned the radio off and had her repeat "Hey Siri" over and over increasing her voice volume each time. Her iPhone finally responded on the fifth try when she said "Hey Siri" VERY loudly.

I think our experience is pretty typical. Similarly, I tried getting getting "S Voice" to respond on my Android phone when it was in my pants pocket. I couldn't get it to respond a single time but it responded every time when I held my phone in my hand.

This is why Siri Eyes Free has been regarded as a "big deal".

16. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I see what your saying then. I have the iphoneX. Maybe it’s a difference in the mic built into the phone? Works great for me. I even used it while I was upstairs and it was on the bottom step and got a response this morning.

17. ErikaM

ErikaM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I am having the darndest time getting Siri to hear “Hey Siri” when I have my iPhone on my dashboard or anywhere. It had worked pretty ok unless I was playing music. I try to do it during lulls and it still doesn’t work. I have a 2012 Prius. I also just got this cool charging cradle, which plugs into the usb but you still play over Bluetooth. It’s making hey Siri pretty impossible. This is driving me crazy. Any suggestions?

18. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The problem could be that the MFD in a 2012 does not support the Bluetooth profile that is used with the latest iPhones. solution is to buy a USB fob that gives you that compatible version of Bluetooth, and switch the MFD to use USB. This has worked for other folks.

I would like to put in a plug for my 57011 MFD that I am selling, if you think that would help. It is fully functional, and fully updated to the latest firmware. I am hoping to get $100 for it. I upgraded to a "Facelift unit, so I don't need this one that works 100%. Maps are from 2013 (what it came with 2014 v that the 57011 was pulled from).

19. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Can you force the MFD to connect using USB as its input? I know that will play music (that is how my wife used it), but I don't know if Siri will work that way.

20. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think you are right. It may also require connectivity with the car microphone using the "talk" button for the best integration. Which may not be possible on the existing Toyota system. I know our 2017 Honda allows integrated bluetooth voice commands to Siri. It does not matter if the phone's mic picks up the command but does require pushing the steering wheel talk button.