1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius and XM to merge? Should I wait?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by local_host, Sep 15, 2007.

1. local_host

local_host New Member

Supposedly XM works better (and installs easier) in the Prius than Sirius... Should I wait till they merge? I heard it might happen late this year. But then again, maybe it never will. Personally I don't think they should merge, as there will be no more competition and the price might go up- But both companies insist that they won't..

Hmm I wonder what will happen to the "lifetime" Sirius radio subscriptions if there's a merger . .

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Who told you it works better and installs better? :blink:

Don't bother waiting. Just as long as there's 2 sets of satellites in the sky, there's still going to be a need for 2 separate tuners.

3. dsharp88

dsharp88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(local_host @ Sep 15 2007, 01:05 PM) [snapback]513064[/snapback]</div>
    Don't wait. Current subscriptions will be honored. The prices are already announced. You will also have a choice among tiered services from both providers for more money. Chances are the merger will be approved because they've made the case that it's not a monopoly due to competition among satellite radio vs. terrestrial radio vs. iPods that play in cars (including Prius, of course).

4. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    dont wait! Choose the one you like best and then get that one. As far as i understand, the xm and sirius are still going to be seperate companies but you can add ala carte channels from either but they are going to be a sister company. my husband says its like dish network and direct tv he says they are the same company but operate seperate. I dont know or care but after talking to sirius people they told me they are going to sister companies and you can add to your programming if you so choose to.

5. local_host

local_host New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Sep 15 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]513117[/snapback]</div>
    From various posts I've read here (& hearsay) .. Apparently it's only been recent Prius models that will accept Sirius, and even so, alot of installers can't do it (I was even told by a Toyota dealer that the Prius will only accept XM) -- Sirius radios won't display the full song + artist info on computer screen (only 10 characters w/no scroll) -- Sirius has more static than XM ... etc.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(local_host @ Sep 16 2007, 10:05 PM) [snapback]513544[/snapback]</div>

No, all of that is very wrong. All 2nd Gen Prius's can handle either a Sirius or XM tuner. It's the same install for either tuner. Both XM and Sirus tuners have had that 10 character limitation, and my favorite is the static. It's a digital signal from a satellite, you can't get static. You either have signal or you don't.