1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius.......Now I'm really confused!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Wyidelode, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Wyidelode

Wyidelode New Member

Six weeks ago, before delivery of my 2006, package 3 Prius, I stopped by a well known local audio retailer who specializes in auto audio, and was told I had two choices for after market sirius installations. The were $399, and $599 respectively. What I want is an installation which will display the channel couioces on my dashboard monitor, just like factory installed XM units I have seen.
    Yesterday, I called the same retailer (different person however) who told me the type of installation I wanted was not available for Toyota yet. He suggested I call the parts dept. at my dealership to see if he was right. Dealer confirmed that WAS correct.
    Does anyone here have a Sirius system installed by a retailer (not factory or dealer installed) in a Package 3 Prius which displays the sat. radio info on the display screen? Argh!

2. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The answer to your question is Yes.
    Although the Dealer I bought my car from also installed the Sirius, the
    system they installed (meant for the Solara/Avalon/Land Cruiser/Lexus/Scion xB/etc..)
    can be purchased from any of a number of Toyota Parts Departments on-line stores
    (like www.metrotpn.com) for about $240 plus shipping. This system does integrate with the
    factory multi-function display (MFD) but it does have the limitation of a 10 character display for
    the artist/song. Touch screen works with it and so do the steering wheel controls.

If you really want a car audio specialty shop to do the install, order the parts yourself and
    bring them to a shop and pay them their $/hour shop fee and have them install it.
    Make sure they know about performing the jumper wire fix (see my other posts here on PC from yesterday)
    and make sure they put on an external Sirius antenna instead of the crappy interior one that comes with the kit. Make sure when you order the sat tuner (Toyota part #PTS31-00052) you also get the
    fit kit (part# PTS31-00051) which is just the wiring harness that hooks the sat tuner to your Prius radio).
    Again, parts should be $240 total ($165 for tuner & $85 for fit kit).
    There are .pdf format documents available that detail the install (same for XM install) in case the
    stereo shop is skiddish about taking on the install.

A good shop should be able to pull off the install in under 3 hours.

Good Luck!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wyidelode @ Jun 10 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]269186[/snapback]</div>

3. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Jun 10 2006, 12:32 PM) [snapback]269253[/snapback]</div>

I'm thinking of getting the kit from http://www.factoryinteractive.com/SiriusPrius/ for $400 but if I can find detailed .pdf's on the istall I'd go your route. Do you know where I could find instructions?

thanks

4. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Rumor has it that a new updated Sirius unit is going to be available soon. I have not heard a specfic date, but I think I remember hearing early Summer 2006. So you *might* want to wait on it. Hopefully they will fix the static issue and the 10 chaircter display limitation.

Yes I have Sirius and it is available.

5. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Jun 10 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]269277[/snapback]</div>
    The SiriusPrius from factory interactive comes with a DVD you can play that has very detailed information for installation. The Sirius installation needs to be on the left side of the car. Their kit (using the same cables and Sirius Receiver) will have substitue magnetic roof antenna to replace the windshield Sigma antenna included with the Toyota kit.

You can also mount the Sirius Antenna on the dashboard near the windshield (like Toyota is doing with the "factory" prius XM installation) as an alternative to the roof mount or windshiedl mount. From experience using a SiriusOne SV1 receiver for a short period, you can use an XM antenna with Sirius or a Sirius Antenna with XM. The only issue is to make sure the antenna has the correct connector (one or two smb).

I exchanged email with SiriusPrius this AM and they are including the modified cables for the 2006 Prius with kits shipping in the next week.

If I was installing Sirius, I would order the SiriusPrius from Factory Interactive.

There is another possibility. Vais currently has an interface for the XM Direct that allows 16 characters for XM. They claim to be workiing on a version for Sirius Connect. This has not shipped. In addition, the XM interface has "short" cables and there is not a well established installation location for the interface and the XM Direct receiver.

Today, I would get the SiriusPrius kit for Sirius and accept the 10 character limit.

If I wanted XM, I would either get the PriusXM (also from FactoryInteractive) or get the official Toyota kit. The only differences is that the PriusXM has the 10 character limit and the Toyota kit when paired with a newer receiver will display 16 characters. The Toyota kit will install on a bracket under the rear passenger seat and that will require the drilling of two holes. The Factory Interactive kits use special hook/loop fasteners to attach the receiver to the car.

Good Luck.

6. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

7. savingtheearth

savingtheearth Junior Member

I have a sirius portable tuner- the sportster- that I can plug into my boom box at home and then plug into my hard wired set up in the car- it uses a simple panavise stalk to hold it. It looks great- sounds great and best of all I can use it at home and in the car with only one subscription to sirius.

8. Wyidelode

Wyidelode New Member

"I have a sirius portable tuner- the sportster- that I can plug into my boom box at home and then plug into my hard wired set up in the car-"

Is this plugged in to the AUX (Mp3) port inside the center console between the two front bucket seats?
    Where does the antenna go?
    I didn't know if you had a unit dedicated for the car alone, and wanted to have one in the house that it required a second $11.99/month subscription!

9. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Jun 10 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]269277[/snapback]</div>
    Here's the document I was referring to.
    Regards,
    Matt

10. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Jun 11 2006, 07:32 AM) [snapback]269491[/snapback]</div>

thanks

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wyidelode @ Jun 10 2006, 06:37 PM) [snapback]269348[/snapback]</div>
    The second receiver doesn't cost as much per month as the first. I'm paying just over $16 a month ($48.85 per quarter) for two receivers.