1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius; poor quality??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Peter_C, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Peter_C

Peter_C Junior Member

I used a Metro parts Sirius kit for a Solara, and had no problems on install. The cable is run as far away from the computer wires as possible, and the antenna was swapped out in favor of a smaller unit. With the Sirius receiver plugged into the head unit, and turned on the sound quality sucked. At this point nothing was mounted yet and the antenna being used was the overly large one that comes with the kit. So after finishing the install and hooking up a smaller antenna, the quality still sucks to the point that regular radio sounds better. You'd think you were listening to AM radio in a lightning storm.

This is a fresh installation, but I have installed it in one of my other vehicles and had no quality issues. I know someone else on these boards was having the same issue and wondered what others have found to be the problem??

RFI? again the unit was not mounted upon the initial test run, and two different antennas were used. The next step is going to be to check the wiring harness under a load and see if it breaks down. If that does not find the problem, the receiver will need to be replaced, unless someone knows what demon is haunting my sound system. :unsure:

2. idaten

idaten New Member

Peter_C,

We might be having the same problem. I was using the S50 with the antenna inside, and the FM on a pretty empty frequency. That sounded fine. Then I switched to the plug-in (in the AUX adapter) and boom - lots of noise. The noise only happens with the engine on and the electric motor under a bit of load. Backing off the throttle, it quiets down, but is still there (more than with the FM connection). I'll be experimenting with a bit of filtering and shielding over the next week, and post results. There is no good reason why the direct connection should have more noise.

Rick

3. Peter_C

Peter_C Junior Member

Mine makes noise with the car in accessory position, car off. Same sounds with the car running too. It sounds like a blown speaker to give you an idea. My antenna is mounted on the roof.

4. kpauley

kpauley New Member

With your S50, are you doing the true FM broadcast or have you purchased the optional Sirius FM Relay? This piece plugs into where the FM antenna plugs into the back of the factory radio. Small box, then plugs into the back of the S50 tuner.

This has made my signal quality great.

BTW, where have you mounted your S50? Right now I have my antenna inside, on the center speaker. The tuner is to the right of the center kick panel.

Ken

5. fulostix

fulostix Junior Member

I bought the Sirius Kit from Metro as well. I did not use the stock "inside antenna" that came with it. I bought a low profile antenna to mount on the outside. Everything sounds great...Howard Stern, the music, etc. When I first installed the unit...the preview channel sounded like garbage, but once it was activated the music and everything sounds great. It's probably the antenna. I mounted the unit in the right rea quarter panel.

6. JoePrius

JoePrius New Member

7. JoePrius

JoePrius New Member

I just installed the FactoryInteractive kit and have problems with the Sirius sound. I get static and it is terrible. I called Sirius and they blame it on the equipment, but I think it could be the antenna itself. I'm going to try repositioning it to another location, but so far it isn't as great as I thought it would be. - Joe

8. Peter_C

Peter_C Junior Member

The antenna pretty much either works or doesn't work. If it is working then it something like a wiring problem or a receiver issue.

I talked to a stereo installer and picked his brain. He was thinking maybe the gain was too much for the head unit. There is no gain adjustment though.

Anyone have any more ideas?

9. fulostix

fulostix Junior Member

I wish I could tell you...it's probably the receiver. I have the same exact unit from that Metro/Facotry Interactive and it works fine....so I would call them and say you want to return it and get another one.

10. tjbrooks

tjbrooks New Member

I got a free dealer install of a Sirius system, and I get a nasty crackling/popping sound in my right front speaker. Plus, the overall quality is poor; it's no better than AM radio. The technician said that there was a problem with the JBL Nav systems, but not the Package 3 system. So I am taking it in this weekend for them to look at it. I will report back with what I find.

11. Peter_C

Peter_C Junior Member

Tjbrooks, please let me know what the cure is. I would sure like mine to work perfectly , and it sounds like we have the same problem. It will be this weekend before I can dig back into it. :blink:

12. preludedude

preludedude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay. I'm afraid I'm going to be able to add nothing but more problems...After suffering the same kinds of problems you all have faced (crackling speakers), I swapped units, and got a fresh unit from Metro...which they didn't want to do. The same guys - who have done Priuses before - put in the frest unit. And...same problem. The antenna was also swapped out to make sure that wasn't the culprit. The tech who did it says it could be the harness (he doubts it highly) or the factory radio (doubts it even more.)

So now, I'm stuck with $250 worth of stereo equipment that doesn't work. I'm going to try and return it, but I don't think they'll take it back. I mean, I'll escalate it to the general manager, but I have a feeling ebay is going to be getting some business soon...

Does anyone know something I don't? Advice? If not, then plug-n-play, here I come! And I guess I'll have to chalk this up to experience...

13. Peter_C

Peter_C Junior Member

I have talked to a couple of my customers that are professional stereo installers. I have heard from a couple of them that there is a problem with the 2006 models software and the unit does not work. I am still hoping for the best and that there is or will be a software upgrade. It sounds so bad, I can not hardly listen to 104 Raw Dog comedy :(

14. idaten

idaten New Member

Peter,

I feel for ya.

I'm still struggling with my S50 installation. I ended up putting the antenna in the spoiler / deck over the motor for the rear wiper (i'm not planning on listening while wiping, apparently, besides i live in CA and it doesn't get used anyway). I think this is going to turn out to be a bad, bad, location. It was working fine yesterday afternoon, poorly this morning.

I juryrigged an inline noise filter in the power outlet. $15 Radio Shack item, extended on both ends with cig lighter adapters for now. That improved, likely eliminated a 400Hz (apx) popping sound. There is still a 3KHz (apx) hum, but its much less - on par with noise from really good AM or medium quality FM reception. Still annoying.

I'm pretty sure the aux input is part cause, and the power outlet certainly was.

Where I go from here is a question...

a) Isolate the lines to the power outlet by running something to near-battery.
    B) Remount the antenna (which isn't a noise source, it just drops out)
    c) Isolate and run new lines between AUX and the head unit.
    d) try another unit, just for chuckles.

Rick

15. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed my Audiovox Sirius receiver in my 2006 last week. Initially, listening to it through the FM, I had some crackling in the music, no matter what FM frequency I tried. But, as soon as I plugged it in through the AUX audio input, it plays perfectly clear. :D
    How does the Solaris' Sirius audio get into the audio system? Through the FM, or an auxilary input? I've heard this complaint several times now lately, and it makes me wonder if there isn't an impedance or level mismatch?? :unsure:

16. SirGreen

SirGreen New Member

I Just got my Prius yesterday and I want to know the best sirius
    radio to use with my Prius? I had in mind the S50 but if there is to many problems
    I might try that Audiovox.

17. preludedude

preludedude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me put it this way...I am printing out a lot of these testimonials from people who have had problems with the Solara kit that Metro is selling that runs through the auxilary input in the back in hopes that I get my money back, though I'm not hopeful...stick to a plug-n-play unit.

18. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, you have a 2004 or 2005 Prius, and are using an auxilary input port on the back of the radio, right? Does the volume seem any different on the Sirius than when you switch over to the FM or CD? The fact that Toyota doesn't offer this same kit for the Prius makes me wonder if they know an incompatability issue that we don't? :unsure: Did you examine the Sirius kit before the installation? Did you notice any way to control the output levels? How do you switch the audio over to the AUX, by toggling the MODE button? And, the AUX input just shows up now, since the installation?
    I'm curious, because I noticed on the schematic for a 2006 that the AUX input has an extra wire, and I speculated that it is a connection that tells the head unit that there is a viable input to the AUX jack. And, that appears to be true. Before I plugged my Sirius into the AUX jack, it would not toggle to the AUX MODE. But, as soon as I plugged a miniature stereo plug into the jack, the input became available on the head unit. The extra wire must get switched to ground when you are jacked in, FYI.

19. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

Any fix for this yet? I just got my Sirius installed on my 06 Prius from the dealership, it sounds horrid. I don't like listening to it. I thought a speaker had blown or something but then I turned on FM and it sounded great. It's really annoying.

20. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wanted a portable unit, so I got the sirius One (plug and play) Its the size of a radar detector. w/fm transmitter. I have had no problems to report, occasionally I run into a little static but thats becuase theres a radio station brodcasting on the same frequency and is close by.. I even hear it in stereo..

I just wanted to beable to switch car to car, Its been great and you dont have all the commerials like XM , I never listen the free FCC regulated radio anymore... :D