1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius Presets lost on Factory unit: Opinions Please!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TedSallis, Jan 25, 2009.

1. TedSallis

TedSallis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    So one of the options I went for on the package 3 '09 I purchased recently was the integrated Sirius satellite radio. My sales person even set my presets for me so when I picked it up it already had my NPR programmed. That night I set some of the presets. Next morning when I got in it all the satellite presets were gone. I reset them and the next day they were gone again. All my FM and AM presets are fine but the Sirius unit will not hold presets.

Here's my theory. I think they wired the Sirius unit into the switched power system instead of the always on system, hence the loss of presets. If on My "Energy" readout the main battery is in the green when I park, the presets will be there the next day, but if I park more than one bar down (blue) then I can count on the presets being lost when I get in the next day.

I suggested this to the service tech when I called and he thought it unlikely as it's powered off a factory harness and fm modulator but I'm not so sure. I have to take it back to have them look at it. Big pain in the buttocks.

Anyone else seen this and how likely does my diagnosis sound to you?

2. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :welcome:

Your analysis is too technical for me. :confused: I had an XM unit installed on my 2009 and it does retain presets so I'd leave it to the dealership to get it right and ask them to keep it overnite to check while you use a dealer provided loaner.
    I hope this glitch does not harm your wise chioce in autos.
    We love ours !

3. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Sirius units are powered through the harness plugged into the back of the radio. They don't have a separate power connection.

It's either a problem with the wiring (or something not plugged in firmly), or the Sirius unit itself.

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Always a possibility, do you have a VOM that you can take some voltage measurements with???

Don't see the relevance on this statement, the radio gets its power from the 12 v battery

What FM modulator? If its a factory Sirius/XM unit that plugs into the radio, that should contain L + R signals. Direct audio right to the amp. Do you have to tune to a FM channel to hear the unit???? If you do, it sounds like an aftermarket unit and yes its possible the "Always ON" 12 volt lead is indeed switched off at power down and thats why you loose presets. Your post needs a little more clarification.

Of course it could always be a defective unit, and you need to show the Toyota Tech the problem. Should be easy enough to do, just pull in to toyota, make sure the HV batt is in the blue, have the tech there, play the radio, turn the car off, and the presets should be gone!! Ball now in his court!

My factory unit works fine, but Good Luck to you, keep us posted

73 de Pat KK6PD